Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time for a reality check (by: Marian Hinton)

• Administrators

Excellent column, Marian. Well done!

As I've listened to coaches and players this week, my question is now this:

Texas has played 8 quarters of football. 7 of 8 have been good to very good. 1 of 8 was extremely poor on all fronts.

Do I believe in the law of averages, or do I believe in the outlier?

Excellent column, Marian. Well done!

As I've listened to coaches and players this week, my question is now this:

Texas has played 8 quarters of football. 7 of 8 have been good to very good. 1 of 8 was extremely poor on all fronts.

Do I believe in the law of averages, or do I believe in the outlier?

the scoreless first half against byu constitutes 2 'good' or 'very good' quarters?

good stuff about CS, marian.

i'm with Street.   i thought we played pretty crappy the whole BYU game, especially on offense.  The defensive line played pretty well, but the offense sucked big time.  BIG TIME. and we were lucky to only be behind by 6 at the half.  the third quarter was a disaster and the fourth quarter really doesn't count because by then the cow was out of the barn and not going back in and nobody in the place really gave a shit. 

welcome to the dark side. no turning back now.

I laughed. . . .hard. . . 

Marian,

I'm going to help you out for the future. . . .TEXAS has scheduled a tomato can week 1 just about every year dating back to DKR. . . save the year we opened with NCSt and we see what that got us.

Week 1 is a glorified scrimmage. . .nothing more.    We learn NOTHING in Week 1 not matter how we play.

The last 2 year's have seen a real opponent in week 2. . . .sometimes we play a 2nd tomato can but not always.

In the future if when you think "hey week 1 was great". . .remember you are seeing fool's gold. . . . .

What we are going to learn about Coach Strong and this TEXAS team will be seen around 10 PM on Sat Night.   This will mark the defining point of the season . .. .do we roll over after a bad azz whipping (3rd quarter was no outlier. . .it was butt whipping) or do we man up.

Marian,

I'm going to help you out for the future. . . .TEXAS has scheduled a tomato can week 1 just about every year dating back to DKR. . . save the year we opened with NCSt and we see what that got us.

Week 1 is a glorified scrimmage. . .nothing more.    We learn NOTHING in Week 1 not matter how we play.

The last 2 year's have seen a real opponent in week 2. . . .sometimes we play a 2nd tomato can but not always.

In the future if when you think "hey week 1 was great". . .remember you are seeing fool's gold. . . . .

What we are going to learn about Coach Strong and this TEXAS team will be seen around 10 PM on Sat Night.   This will mark the defining point of the season . .. .do we roll over after a bad azz whipping (3rd quarter was no outlier. . .it was butt whipping) or do we man up.

hey, i'm guilty of the fool's gold too. I know UNT isn't all-that, but they ain't Lamar either.

But, yeah, if this is another game that isn't competitive after 3 quarters, against a team that had its hands full with Memphis, it may get ugly. but if we're in it until the end or dare i say, we actually win the damn thing then things will smell a lot better.

Marian,

I've had season tickets for 20 years so I understand the week one games. 

That said, I pretty much said in my article what you are saying at the end of your post. 

Ok, I was going to post something, but quite honestly, I'm just tired of beating a dead horse.

I'm going to enjoy watching the development over the rest of the season.  This is a process, not a quick fix.  There will be growing pains.  Now, I'm going to finish the work that I brought home with me.  

Hook 'em, Charlie!

Defensively, we've been pretty good so far outside of the 3rd quarter skull banging we took against BYU. I still don't worry too much about that side of the ball.

Offensively, this program scares the shit outta me right now. Watson has been mediocre at best (pretty damned shitty in my opinion) with his play calling. He's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (a team built for a spread type offense and he's trying to get them to run a pro style). Another problem I see with that, even if Heard is ready to take over the reigns later this year or next year, he's more of a dual threat/spread QB than Swoopes is. We still appear to be screwed unless Watson can change his tune.

1 more issue that is kinda pissing me off right now is Wickline with the o line.
I wish he'd quit moving guys from one spot to the next on a damned daily basis. 
Cross training is great and all but do all that shit during spring/fall workouts. Stop that shit once the season starts. Work guys where they work best and quit jacking with shit every damn day.

Hookem!!!!!

"Frustrating" is the perfect word to describe this offense right now for the reasons UTK66 outlined in his post.  At first, I was excited by the Wickline hire because I thought we'd be running an OSU-type spread offense.  IMO, Swoopes and our RBs can make that work.  A pro-style, west-coast passing game with power running?  That doesn't look promising, especially with a patchwork OL. 

CFS has to adjust the offensive game plan to personnel, otherwise we're screwed this season!  But, I'll try to keep the faith.  

Hook 'Em and I'll see y'all in Lot 4 tomorrow!

Defensively, we've been pretty good so far outside of the 3rd quarter skull banging we took against BYU. I still don't worry too much about that side of the ball.

Offensively, this program scares the shit outta me right now. Watson has been mediocre at best (pretty damned shitty in my opinion) with his play calling. He's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (a team built for a spread type offense and he's trying to get them to run a pro style). Another problem I see with that, even if Heard is ready to take over the reigns later this year or next year, he's more of a dual threat/spread QB than Swoopes is. We still appear to be screwed unless Watson can change his tune.

1 more issue that is kinda pissing me off right now is Wickline with the o line.

I wish he'd quit moving guys from one spot to the next on a damned daily basis. 

Cross training is great and all but do all that shit during spring/fall workouts. Stop that shit once the season starts. Work guys where they work best and quit jacking with shit every damn day.

Hookem!!!!!

I'm definitely afraid of this offense too. I don't trust Watson yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over the course of the next  few games.  I'm also curious to see if Strong will make changes if needed, assuming Watson doesn't improve.