Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A taste of Texas

Matt Cotcher

• Administrators

I'm headed for Arlington this weekend and will be covering the game from the press box. For the trip, I'm planning to do a photo journal of sorts to post for those that can't make the trip. Todd Blackledge does 'A Taste of the Town', and I'd like to do some similar stuff (not just this week, but for all away games).

First things first though - let's talk UCLA weekend....what are some must stop places on the way to Dallas (from Austin). I'm not opposed to going out of the way for a good piece of pie or great bbq. 

Other than Czech Stop where should I go?

I'm headed for Arlington this weekend and will be covering the game from the press box. For the trip, I'm planning to do a photo journal of sorts to post for those that can't make the trip. Todd Blackledge does 'A Taste of the Town', and I'd like to do some similar stuff (not just this week, but for all away games).

First things first though - let's talk UCLA weekend....what are some must stop places on the way to Dallas (from Austin). I'm not opposed to going out of the way for a good piece of pie or great bbq. 

t first I thought this was a review of a great steak restaurant in Houston. :)

If you're looking at the Pizza game, Cane Rosso is an absolute must visit.

Health Camp in Waco. Just off the freeway. No, it ain't healthy but really solid burgers and shakes.

One of the best BBQ joints in Texas is in Marlin. Whoops Bomerang BBQ. It is very hard to find but I'll put it up against the three big guys in Lockhart as well as Luling.

Other than that, I ain't got nuthin.

• Administrators

Health Camp in Waco. Just off the freeway. No, it ain't healthy but really solid burgers and shakes.

One of the best BBQ joints in Texas is in Marlin. Whoops Bomerang BBQ. It is very hard to find but I'll put it up against the three big guys in Lockhart as well as Luling.

These are the kinds of places I'm looking to find. Thank you.

Health food is definitely not a consideration on this venture.

Do not eat the day you are leaving. Stop in Belton and go to the Oxbow. It's on the west side of I 35. Pretty sure you take the exit for Loop 121 and go back over the freeway. It is in front of the La Quinta. Best steak you will ever have.

Or at least it used to be. I haven't been there in a year or two.

hell you've got time, and the hwy up I35 will be a damn zoo.  stop and go the entire way and if there's a wreck, you'll be at a dead stop.

head up 183 to Goldtwaite, take 16 North to Strawn, stop at Mary's for the CFS (get the large so you can tell us how much of you didn't eat)(that would be most of it), then over on 20 thru FW to Jerry's Rip You Off World.

Other than that, I ain't got nuthin.

I was really disappointed in Health Camp. . . .

I would try Eddie O's on the other side of 35 in Waco. . . . 

I'm going to trust you on the BBQ and plan a road trip.   

Main Street BBQ in Euless just off 183. . . on a Friday. . .some of the best Q in D/FW.

I believe if you eat at bluebonnet and Mary's in the same day and have the CFS at both, you'll be able to lie in bed that night and actually hear your veins clogging.

I've had both and I give the edge to Mary's.

This week I discovered a top FIVE CFS place in Texas, IMO. The Southern Flyer Cafe. It's at the Brenham Airport. Just solid CFS. Not near as big as Mary's. Oh, the girls wear Poodle Skirts with pony tails. Great juke box too. Real throwback joint.

• Administrators

As of now, my route will be an early pit stop at Czech stop on Friday morning. Then I've got an interview to do out East of Dallas early Friday afternoon. I need a recommendation for an early dinner somewhere out in the Forney/Terrell/Rockwall area.

Is Cane Rosso my best bet for lunch on Saturday before heading to the stadium?

Then on Sunday, I'll hit Strawn (Mary's) for lunch and head to Hico (Koffee Kup).