Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glimmer of Hope Thread

If I am putting money on the game, i bet UCLA and give the points.

But let's be honest and "realistic" (and I mean the real definition of the word, not an excuse to bitch). . .neither team is riding into Dallas this week on a wave of "momentum". . . .. UCLA could be 0-2 right now against two weak teams UVa and Memphis.

If they don't step it up dramatically, they are going to get ABUSED in the Pac 12-14-18-29 (how many teams are out in the Pac these days?)

BTW, if there is a worse OL in the nation, it's UCLA's. . . . .our front 4 should have a field day.

Noone and I mean noone thought pre-season that BYU was a better team than UCLA but if you actually watched them play, there is no doubt that today, BYU is the superior team.   I think BYU would take UCLA and fairly easily based on what we've seen so far.

Now granted, this is why they play the games. . . .UCLA may well have played down to their "level of competition" while BYU just played it "bowl game" and might take the rest of the year off.

Keys to victory:

Hundley's not as good a runner as Hill (I'm not sure there is a better Dual Threat QB in the nation this side of Winston) and we sacked Hill 5 times. . . .PRESSURE. . . 

And with PRESSURE comes TUROVERS. . . we have to . . . did I say HAVE TO. . . win the turnover battle.

Stop with the IGNORANT/STUPID/INEXCUSABLE mistakes. . . .

How many drive killers did we have starting with the opening KO?

Playmakers. . .Help out young Swoopes. . .. you cannot drop a 3rd down conversion. . .you cannot have a dumb chop block to move us out of FG range .. . . HANG ONTO THE FLACKING FOOTBALL.

Watson, use Swoopes legs to keep UCLA off balance . .run a jet sweep or 2, run some misdirection. . . .

This is a winnable game, not going to be easy. . . .going to take some internal fortitude and some want to. . . . 

But UCLA ain't BYU. . . .. and who'd have thought that pre-season

Based on the way UCLA has played so far this season, yes, this game is very winnable.

Its gonna come down to the teams attitude, focus and ability to forget the BYU game and move on. Open the playbook more for Swoopes (who played a pretty damned good game Saturday). Definitely agree about getting Swoopes involved in the run game. I waited and waited Saturday for a QB draw, zone read, reverse or something and Watson called the damned game like he was sitting in a church pew.

Since you brought up the comparison of BYU to UCLA I have a question to ask and would like everybody's opinion. My aggy friend and I were discussing football and he said South Carolina would beat BYU. I said he has 0 facts or stats to back up that statement. So who do you think is better right now BYU or UCLA?

i would feel more confident upon my opinion, after our game this week.  then i should know without a doubt.  

Since you brought up the comparison of BYU to UCLA I have a question to ask and would like everybody's opinion. My aggy friend and I were discussing football and he said South Carolina would beat BYU. I said he has 0 facts or stats to back up that statement. So who do you think is better right now BYU or UCLA?

Your friend was just being aggy. Byu would beat sc. Sc struggled with east Carolina this past week. Also the 3-4 is not made to stop byu offense. Not saying they wouldn't make adjustments but by the time they do it might be to late.

Well to start with, he's an aggie. . . 

He has an opinion. . . .unless they meet in a bowl game, we won't know. . . 

But the cocks are not very good . ..BYU actually is good. . . .

"aggy".

That's all you need to know.

sec sec sec

The was USCe has looked so far, I don't see them being able to handle BYU.

BYU is almost always filled with players who are a couple years older than their opponents due to so many of them going on two year missions before starting college ball. Their o=linemen go on the missions plus redshirt. It makes a noticeable difference on the field.

I've read this in several places over the past several days. My question is exactly what has that gotten them over the past 15 years? How do they compare to other elite teams during this time? How many BCS bowl games have they played in?

In other words, has it really made a difference or is it more of a perceived difference? I really don't know the answer and was curious.

I've read this in several places over the past several days. My question is exactly what has that gotten them over the past 15 years? How do they compare to other elite teams during this time? How many BCS bowl games have they played in?

In other words, has it really made a difference or is it more of a perceived difference? I really don't know the answer and was curious.

the extra age/experience couldn't hurt, but you're right. it's not like it's leading them to consistent excellence.

Except when they play us of course.

If these kids were spending 2 years hitting the gym, eating right, bulking up and doing drills. . .the 2 year mission thing would be a big deal.

They are not, most come back seriously out of football shape.

Yes, they are older and more mature. . .

But what is really benefiting them is they aren't playing Call of Duty, smoking pot, getting drunk on 6th street etc.    Around half of the upperclassmen on BYU's team are already married. . . 

These are kids who have for the most part, put away the NFL dream in favor of creating lives for their new families. . .

echeese - I have a different take than you on UCLA.  I think you were right when you said they played down to their competition.  And I think you were wrong when you said they had the worst OL - because we do.  And BYU's QB is better than Hundley, for sure.

But, don't kid yourself about the talent on UCLA's team.  They are TALENTED and they are well coached!  And they will be playing in front of a national audience at Jerry's world - they will be pumped.

Our defense will make life hell for them - I believe this.  But our offense will be stonewalled.  Again.  UCLA will stack the box, as every team we play this year will do.

We HAVE to turn Swoopes loose and let him learn from his mistakes.  We cannot continue to play not to lose.

(By-the-way - forgive my scattershot way of writing.  It's an old professional habit - I put down my thoughts - like taking notes.  It used to drive my nurses crazy)

UVa hung close to 400 yards on UCLAs D while Memphis pushed 500 . . .

I agree, they will be pumped.. . .not sure UCLA's D is what we thought pre-season. . .

I would have voted them the #1 D we faced.  ... . .as Coach Corso would say. . .not so fast my friend.

And not sure what it says about my brain but you writing style is very readable and easy to follow for me. . . . .which might not be a ringing endorsement.

I agree, they will be pumped.. . .not sure UCLA's D is what we thought pre-season. . .

I would have voted them the #1 D we faced.  ... . .as Coach Corso would say. . .not so fast my friend.

And not sure what it says about my brain but you writing style is very readable and easy to follow for me. . . . .which might not be a ringing endorsement.

Our offense will make their D seem like the old Pittsburg Steelers.  At least if we play like we did last week.

However, I'm thinking that Swoopes will be even more confident this week and will, perhaps, show more versatility.  Let's hope so, anyway.

LOL!  If you can easily read my writing and punctuation style, then you are a note taker as well.  One of my nurses questioned my degree, saying it's a good thing I didn't major in Journalism.

Of course I told her that I longed for the days when nurses were doctors handmaidens.  You can imagine the reaction to THAT remark. :D

Also, I don't know about you, but I use capitalzations as word emphasis.  I have been chastised for this and told it means shouting.  But I don't care as I don't shout.

I also find your writing style very readable and easy to follow......unlike that of others who shall go unnamed ;)