Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
bbdude

Shooting Guard Demarcus Holland is a new basketball commit

Twitter world is exploding with news that Naaman Forest product Demarcus Holland has committed to play basketball at Texas. Holland was offered a scholarship soon after J'Covan Brown left early for the draft. He was originally committed to the University of South Florida and took a trip to Austin last weekend. 6'3" & 175 lbs.

thumbnail.jpg

This is from the Dallas Morning News

Demarcus Holland

School: Garland Naaman Forest

Year: Senior

Height: 6'3"

Weight: N/A

Sport position: Boys Basketball: G

Player Season Stats(Boys Basketball)

G Pts Pts/G 3PM 3PM/G REB REB/G AST AST/G

29 329 11.3 25 0.9 137 4.7 124 4.3

He isn't the normal highly rated guard we usually get, but it may work. Missouri beat us 3 times this year with a team full of 3 star recruits, so I'm not putting too much stock in his ranking. I don't really see him playing much his first year. Sheldon, Julien and Myck will play close to 30 minutes a game and Gibbs will get good minutes as well. We will also have size inside, so that means time for Holmes and Bond at the 3. We could potentially add Pollard as well. Maybe even Kevin Thomas. It will be nice to have some depth.

Was this a 2 fer one deal? 2 Recruits from the same school is odd. Ibeh is legit and explainable from a Recruiting perspective. Not sure Holland is. Texas could Have any 3 star Recruits they want. Why Holland and why now?

With limited scholarships available this could have an impact on others like Pollard. They have a scholarship left and Pollard will land it if he commits. Barnes saw something in this guy and I trust his judgment. Hope it pans out though!

Been reading about him, and I've seen a couple of clips, but nothing that says much. He's long and athletic. That is all I've noticed about him so far. Hopefully we will find out more in the coming days.

The coaches have some sort of plan about the scholarships because apparently we are going after Jordan Clarkson from Tulsa. He averaged over 16 ppg as a sophomore for Tulsa last year. 6'4 guard out of San Antonio. I remember this happening a few years ago with Oklahoma State. They had a number of guys sign another form of scholarship papers, and they weren't penalized.

The scholarship game could get tricky - just sayin'.

Yeah definitely. I'm just hoping it all works out. It's nice to have this problem of having too many players though. We usually struggle to field a team