Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas team preview part III - The Anti-Offense

Bama and LSU run true "pro-style" offenses. . . 

CFS and Watson ran a ball control offense at Louisville but if you watch it, you will see they ran it from 2 TEs they ran it from the spread, they were very multiple in terms of formation. . .

I fully expect to see our offense look a bit more like Okie Lite without the tempo. . .though I expect to see us run tempo too. ..just not all the time .. . 

CFS and Watson ran a ball control offense at Louisville but if you watch it, you will see they ran it from 2 TEs they ran it from the spread, they were very multiple in terms of formation. . .

I fully expect to see our offense look a bit more like Okie Lite without the tempo. . .though I expect to see us run tempo too. ..just not all the time .. . 

I agree. I don't think we will run a true pro-style offense, but more of a hybrid and I think it will work very well. 

• Administrators

There is a distinct difference between a Pro-style offense and a Pro-set (formation). Until we all see the offense next weekend, I will call it "pro-style". I do not expect Texas to use a "pro-set" within that style.

Good article.

I expect Gray and Brown to have an opportunity to both surpass 1000 yards due to the lack of bodies at RB.

I'm happy to hear about John Harris coming along at WR, but I'll believe it when I see it with him. I hope he has it turned around, but if he hasn't done it his first four years, I have a hard time believing that a few months with a new coach has turned his work ethic around. I hope I'm wrong.

Seriously, Marion, would you agree to me adopting you?

That aside - we'll talk about this later, you have actually, IMO, nailed the salient point about this years offense:

With a power running game (and a strong defense), instead of outscoring their opponent, Texas will play ball control. If you can run effectively, you control the clock. If you control the clock, you limit the opponents’ opportunities to score.

The key, of course, is CB's ability to control The Big 12's nuclear offenses.  Because he has never, in his coaching career, seen anything like what he will this year.

Seriously, Marion, would you agree to me adopting you?

That aside - we'll talk about this later, you have actually, IMO, nailed the salient point about this years offense:

With a power running game (and a strong defense), instead of outscoring their opponent, Texas will play ball control. If you can run effectively, you control the clock. If you control the clock, you limit the opponents’ opportunities to score.

The key, of course, is CB's ability to control The Big 12's nuclear offenses.  Because he has never, in his coaching career, seen anything like what he will this year.

Haha. Depends. Are you really a doctor? Just kidding.  :D

I agree with that being the key. It will be interesting to see. I am one of those who believes that a great defense trumps a great offense, but we'll see. 

Haha. Depends. Are you really a doctor? Just kidding.  :D

LOL, I am - do you want to see my  Model 3200 Littmann Stethoscope?  But why does being a doctor matter?  You will be my daughter and we can go to games together.

I agree with that being the key. It will be interesting to see. I am one of those who believes that a great defense trumps a great offense, but we'll see. 

I have always felt this way about football.  It has been proven out as well - how many National championships have Briles, Leach or Holgorson won?

I'm happy to hear about John Harris coming along at WR, but I'll believe it when I see it with him. I hope he has it turned around, but if he hasn't done it his first four years, I have a hard time believing that a few months with a new coach has turned his work ethic around. I hope I'm wrong.

Here is an interview with John Harris from Saturday (Aug 24)