Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire update (Unfriended)

HornSolo

I hate to agree with everyone but I'm kinda getting to the point were I'm thinking about canceling too. I'm looking at the board right now, there's one premium topic pinned the rest are about BBQ, Landscaping, Business, recipes etc. I like the people and the environment here but not enough to pay for this site versus one that keeps up with extra content. For example BurntOrangeNation already has a full breakdown of today's practice written up http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/8/10/5988525/fall-2014-open-practice-notes-david-ash-charlie-strong-texas-longhorns I'm sure the other sites do too. I come here and there's nothing but what other members have linked from other sites. Don't get me wrong, I really want you guys to succeed and I like the idea behind this site and I was more than happy paying for Crossfire and similar articles(chalk talk being on of them) that gave me good insight of the program and how people involved with it were thinking but once most of that disappeared, I just can't justify paying anymore only for content that I can get from other sites very easily.

Well articulated post.  

I'd ask the mods/owners at this point, and with no crossfire in 2 weeks and still no practice reports from an open practice today, what exactly justifies charging any of us as "premium" subscribers the $4.95/month or the annual fee for others of us like me?

• Administrators

I hate to agree with everyone but I'm kinda getting to the point were I'm thinking about canceling too. I'm looking at the board right now, there's one premium topic pinned the rest are about BBQ, Landscaping, Business, recipes etc. I like the people and the environment here but not enough to pay for this site versus one that keeps up with extra content. For example BurntOrangeNation already has a full breakdown of today's practice written up http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/8/10/5988525/fall-2014-open-practice-notes-david-ash-charlie-strong-texas-longhorns I'm sure the other sites do too. I come here and there's nothing but what other members have linked from other sites. Don't get me wrong, I really want you guys to succeed and I like the idea behind this site and I was more than happy paying for Crossfire and similar articles(chalk talk being on of them) that gave me good insight of the program and how people involved with it were thinking but once most of that disappeared, I just can't justify paying anymore only for content that I can get from other sites very easily.

I understand everyone's concern over Crossfire. One insider post about practices doesn't replace one of this site's most read features.

I do disagree with the content thoughts above. This site covered the Wednesday and Friday press conferences extensively (and not just "posters pasting other site's content). Additionally, there have been loads of new articles and features released over the past few weeks and much of it is premium content. 

There are a lot of interesting pieces here that are getting overlooked. Several debates about uniforms, some bbq/recipe threads and a thread about a supporter of this site that's having medical trouble are all contributing to the site's original content being overshadowed.

How to do a better job of emphasizing content is a valid discussion. Saying that content doesn't exist isn't factual.

I'm on record having concerns with "insiders" offering information that hasn't been cleared for public release. I think Darrell does a good job of pushing for information other than what the people running the program would rather not be made public. He seems to ask smart questions rather than ask to be fed straight gossip. I enjoy Crossfire, but what I am looking forward to is the conversation during the season when there is actually something to talk about. If Crossfire would move to being more focused on personal observations and first person accounts, I wouldn't have any complaints.

Matt, I said what I said simple to inform you of my opinion and the opinion of others on this site who might not be as vocal about it. It wasn't meant as an insult to you or the hard work that you have put into the site so please don't take it any other way then that. I just have questions and concerns that I think everyone else has like as a premium member can I expect to have constantly updated content on daily team events like some of the other sites do or are we not at that point yet? I was very excited to hear that you guys had been granted press level access to the team but why didn't we get to take advantage of that on the first public open practice of the year? If its a matter of not having enough staff yet or some other factor why not open a premium member topic and explain that out to us. I realize that this site is still in its infancy and will need time to build but why can't we get a straight answer about what's up with Crossfire? Like a real explanation between friends and not the corporate speak.  The staff being open and personable with the members is what makes this site different why lose that when it comes to the biggest topic everyone is concerned with. I'm a football crazed fan like a lot of people on here and getting every extra piece of info about the team that I can get is the reason why I'm willing to pay for a site like this. I think all of us as a whole are looking for some answers and want some responses from the staff about what we can expect from Horn sports as a whole. I realize a month from now this will be a moot point and all of us will be excited about how well the team is doing but for right now this is how I feel and I'm sure many feel the same.

I made the mistake of paying for a year in advance. Am hoping I can have consideration for a pro-rated refund as I may be shutting down my sub as well. The reasons are well documented on this thread and I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about how Darrell is being treated either.

Is Darrell being mistreated by someone somewhere?

As a premium member who shares the same thoughts/concerns as the majority of the other premium members, I think a simple, honest "State of the Website" address, updating us on all of the issues mentioned in this thread would go a long way regarding talking a few of us off the ledge. With this said, I appreciate all Darrell, Matt and the others continue to do with the site and I'm excited about the potential content that will be available during this upcoming football season. Hook em! \\m//

As a premium member who shares the same thoughts/concerns as the majority of the other premium members, I think a simple, honest "State of the Website" address, updating us on all of the issues mentioned in this thread would go a long way regarding talking a few of us off the ledge. With this said, I appreciate all Darrell, Matt and the others continue to do with the site and I'm excited about the potential content that will be available during this upcoming football season. Hook em! \\m//

At this point, I think this is a pretty good idea.  Personally, I do not think the staff has anything to be apologetic about, they have addressed these issues more than once, but perhaps as Dbut82 says, a "State of the Website" address is in order.  More communication is never a bad thing.

I understand everyone's concern over Crossfire. One insider post about practices doesn't replace one of this site's most read features.

I do disagree with the content thoughts above. This site covered the Wednesday and Friday press conferences extensively (and not just "posters pasting other site's content). Additionally, there have been loads of new articles and features released over the past few weeks and much of it is premium content. 

There are a lot of interesting pieces here that are getting overlooked. Several debates about uniforms, some bbq/recipe threads and a thread about a supporter of this site that's having medical trouble are all contributing to the site's original content being overshadowed.

How to do a better job of emphasizing content is a valid discussion. Saying that content doesn't exist isn't factual.

No offense Matt and I think you are good guy and got a raw deal from OB.  Unfortunately, I should not be paying $4.95/month for the press conference coverage that I can get for free at 7 other sites.  Just my 2 cents, but the value is in the access you guys apparently have to true sources.  If you guys are too afraid to print that info for fear of retribution from Bellmont, then why in the world should I pay for info I can get from Texassports.com?

Except for Crossfire and some chalk-talk, the next "breaking" info on anything Texas athletics related on this site will be the first time I can remember this site leading with any new info ahead of other free sites.

In Hornsports current state, a premium is being charged for info that is now non-existent per no Crossfire's in 2 weeks or info that is freely available on multiple free sites.  Whatever happened to Sean Adams?  I know he's back on the radio, but doesn't he have sources?

What exactly is the differentiator that warrants a "premium" sub?

friendlypirate.gif

Awright, Matt!  Since you are now heretofore appointed our resident Photoshop expert, on rather suspect evidence I might add, that image is too intricate for a pirate winky smiley!  Furthermore, as an obviouly no pirate winky simley, it has no representation of the aforementioned Wet Noodle of DOOM!  And one furthermore more, is that Southwest Airlines Longhorn JPG in that other thread poorly photoshopped? or, not!  Inquiring minds want to know!  Your Forum Members are waiting with BAITED breath!  And, we ARE NOT having much luck with the FISHIES!   ;)

I'm on record having concerns with "insiders" offering information that hasn't been cleared for public release. I think Darrell does a good job of pushing for information other than what the people running the program would rather not be made public. He seems to ask smart questions rather than ask to be fed straight gossip. I enjoy Crossfire, but what I am looking forward to is the conversation during the season when there is actually something to talk about. If Crossfire would move to being more focused on personal observations and first person accounts, I wouldn't have any complaints.

I don't think you understand what level of sources some of the mods have access to.  Having access to their insights and access should never go away frankly and to suggest otherwise just doesn't make sense.  If I want editorials on Texas athletics, I can get those talking to my buds at the tailgates or from Texassports.com and multiple free sites as well as most any state metro news site.  

I have 3 inputs:

1. Crossfire!!! People come here for Crossfire! Honestly been more on OB just because of the inside information available. More inside scoops!!!

2. Practice, games.....Give live updates! Live feeds!! MAKE me want to press F5!!!!

3. Consistency and accountability. As a consumer, having a solid, reliable product is key for me to return for more.

:)

I'll chime in because I know Aaron started this site way before McPhaul was around, way before most of you posted here. I've reiterated this several times and I will do it again.  I know Aaron from our days at UT and he is a standup guy in every aspect of the word. He told me from several years ago that this site had every intention of becoming something unique and it is still becoming "unique."  ATX89, I don't know you but if you think this site was built around and managed by McPhaul (who I don't happen to know), then you are mistaken.  I won't let you make ridiculous statements.  And from what I see Matt Cotcher (who I also don't know) is putting in a ton of work.  I emailed Aaron last week and we have yet to speak, but I am certain he has something special planned for the site.  

You act like you are McPhaul's personal secretary or perhaps you are kin to him.  If you don't like things here then you should not post here.  It's fairly simple. If you have complaints, voice them reasonably and with decency.

I am not a premium member only because I cannot afford it. If I had $5 per month to spend on my limited budget this would be the first site I join because the people here are genuine. While I lurk more than anything, I like Horn Sports because the people here are generally of sound mind and Aaron is a good guy.

I'll chime in because I know Aaron started this site way before McPhaul was around, way before most of you posted here. I've reiterated this several times and I will do it again.  I know Aaron from our days at UT and he is a standup guy in every aspect of the word. He told me from several years ago that this site had every intention of becoming something unique and it is still becoming "unique."  ATX89, I don't know you but if you think this site was built around and managed by McPhaul (who I don't happen to know), then you are mistaken.  I won't let you make ridiculous statements.  And from what I see Matt Cotcher (who I also don't know) is putting in a ton of work.  I emailed Aaron last week and we have yet to speak, but I am certain he has something special planned for the site.  

You act like you are McPhaul's personal secretary or perhaps you are kin to him.  If you don't like things here then you should not post here.  It's fairly simple. If you have complaints, voice them reasonably and with decency.

I am not a premium member only because I cannot afford it. If I had $5 per month to spend on my limited budget this would be the first site I join because the people here are genuine. While I lurk more than anything, I like Horn Sports because the people here are generally of sound mind and Aaron is a good guy.

I'm fairly certain that there are things behind the scenes that are going on that we don't know about.  I'm sure that Aaron and Co. are working to provide the content here that members want, and are happy to come here and read.  I think that there are many moving parts, and to get them all to work in conjunction with one another is quite a challenge.  You have guys with views of how this site is going to grow, and as such, there is communication that must go on amongst the management and staff to get on the same page.  It will take some time to get everything fine tuned. 

Be patient.

In the meantime, enjoy the content offered and know that Aaron, Darrell, Matt, Coleman, Kylie, etc., are going to be on top of Texas sports in the coming weeks as the season kicks off.

I don't think you understand what level of sources some of the mods have access to. Having access to their insights and access should never go away frankly and to suggest otherwise just doesn't make sense. If I want editorials on Texas athletics, I can get those talking to my buds at the tailgates or from Texassports.com and multiple free sites as well as most any state metro news site.

I think I understand some of the sources better than most. I still don't believe it is appropriate for people who have gained information about the inner workings of the program to decide they can violate confidences to give their friends gossip to sell to subscribers. It is one thing to have access to individuals and ask intelligent questions. It is another thing to ask individuals to violate confidences and make public information that makes it more difficult for people at high levels of the program to do their jobs.

I prefer journalism where intelligent people ask those in the know intelligent questions and refuse to publish any information that may be considered gained by insiders violating confidences. I'm certainly not saying Darrell made his money encouraginging insiders to violate confidences. I am also certainly not saying others have stopped short of encouraging insiders to violate confidences.

I personally want nothing to do with any site I believe encourages insiders to violate confidences in order to get content. While I know some fans feel differently, I hope more fans encourage writers to respect confidences, use the access granted to ask intelligent questions and write content in an intertwining style. I don't want gossip or "leaks." I want intelligent journalism.

I think I understand some of the sources better than most. I still don't believe it is appropriate for people who have gained information about the inner workings of the program to decide they can violate confidences to give their friends gossip to sell to subscribers. It is one thing to have access to individuals and ask intelligent questions. It is another thing to ask individuals to violate confidences and make public information that makes it more difficult for people at high levels of the program to do their jobs.

I prefer journalism where intelligent people ask those in the know intelligent questions and refuse to publish any information that may be considered gained by insiders violating confidences. I'm certainly not saying Darrell made his money encouraginging insiders to violate confidences. I am also certainly not saying others have stopped short of encouraging insiders to violate confidences.

That's a really large blanket you just threw down. I just don't think it applies as you suggest it does.

From what I've observed, much of what FOB provides is his perspective, his opinion and what he's observed. There's certainly a lot of value in that by itself. Value that other competing web sites are not providing or not providing as well as this one has.

I don't think you established that they've violated ANY confidences. I don't think FOBs have been told not to say what they've said. I also do not see any instance where it's made anyone's job more difficult. If you've got an example to provide, I'm all ears.

The type of journalism (intelligent questions) you say you prefer is exactly what Darrell provides in his questioning. Being a veteran of 17 years in the news industry and having led newsrooms, I can't think of a single question he's ever posed that I felt wasn't good or intelligent. He's been solid.

It's all about your niche in the market. What can you do better than your competition? What do they do well? Can you do it just as well? Do you have the resources to compete that way?

If not, you better figure out what you can bring to the table that others can't or don't that will be a constant draw to your page.

That's a really large blanket you just threw down. I just don't think it applies as you suggest it does.

From what I've observed, much of what FOB provides is his perspective, his opinion and what he's observed. There's certainly a lot of value in that by itself. Value that other competing web sites are not providing or not providing as well as this one has.

I don't think you established that they've violated ANY confidences. I don't think FOBs have been told not to say what they've said. I also do not see any instance where it's made anyone's job more difficult. If you've got an example to provide, I'm all ears.

The type of journalism (intelligent questions) you say you prefer is exactly what Darrell provides in his questioning. Being a veteran of 17 years in the news industry and having led newsrooms, I can't think of a single question he's ever posed that I felt it wasn't a good or intelligent. He's been solid.

It's all about your niche in the market. What can you do better than your competition? What do they do well? Can you do it just as well?

If not, you better figure out what you can bring to the table that others can't or don't that will be a constant draw to your page.

I have said repeatedly, including this evening, that I am not calling out Darrell. I specifically said I believe he asks intelligent questions, which is what I prefer. I just don't like anonymous sources from within the program. It sounds good to be an "insider" for $10/Mo, but when the inside info comes from people who are betraying confidences, the $10/Mo just feeds a cancer. If individuals who are empowered to speak to the media want to have off the record conversations that are cleared for discussion, that is a separate issue. I just don't like any business model based on getting people to violate confidences to give information about what is going on inside Bellmont.