Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

horn sports roustabouts! early friday morning 08-aug-14 - UPDATE #1

monarch

smalllogo.png

yes!  it is indeed a bravenewlonghornworld.  therefore, during this 2014 training camp, please allow for us 

horn sports stalwarts (roustabouts) to gather as many training camp stories, updates, breaking news... heck, whatever that is happening

all around longhorn nation, training camp wise.

please, allow for us to utilize this particular roustabouts thread, as per all aforementioned.  this shall ensure, that we do not have so many duplicate "updates" threads.

so.. on mark.. get set.. ready.. read on!

0071419572042_180X180.jpg

1. Armanti Foreman was another receiver that looked really good. He goes through drills at 100-percent at all times. Everyone agrees that he looked the part today. Anwar felt like he was the best guy out there among the freshmen and deserved to be the first listed thought. 

Alex's main takeaway was that Armanti is "extremely sick".

2. Suspended players Desmond Harrison, Daje Johnson and Josh Turner all worked with the freshmen tonight.

3. Scouts from Panthers and Dolphins were on hand tonight to watch the freshmen. 

4. Linebackers were forced to do up=downs tonight for not finishing drills. Linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary was getting into Camron Hampton pretty good at one point.

5. Deoundrei Davis was on the sidelines with the trainers.,

6. Jerrod Heard has developed some nice muscle mass for a young guy and really looked at ease throwing the football around. He was a little inconsistent, but they were just throwing in nets, so don't overreact. At one point in practice, Heard kind of barked at Duke Catalon about something and showed no fear of speaking up and displaying some of the fiery quarterback leadership. 

7. We're hearing that Wickline is shuffling guys in and out all over the place, so don't go crazy with who is running the first team from day to day.

8. The wide receivers looked like they might have had some first-day jitters. Lorenzo Joe looked pretty natural and at home when we were watching him. 

9. Duke Catalon looks like a guy that has been in the program for a  while. He's ready to go physically. 

10. John Bonney was taking reps at cornerback, along with Jermaine Roberts, while Jason Hall was at safety. Of those three, Bonney was the guy that Anwar thought stood out the most. He wasn't overwhelmed by his surroundings at all.

11. Overall, the pace was a little slower than the first practice today, but that had to be expected. 

12. Alex liked the way Edwin Freeman looked at safety, but thought he might be a linebacker down the road after seeing him off the hoof. Moved very well laterally.

13. The freshmen were working on special teams quite a bit and it wouldn't be a shock if this was a situation this season where quite a few freshmen might be asked to play a larger role than normal in the third phase. 

14. Dorian Leonard might not be as tall as Garrett Gray, but he's long, lean and stood out as an athletic kid to keep an eye on.

15. Desmond Harrison looked like a million bucks, but was struggling with his technique throughout practice. 

16. Tight ends coaches were working zone steps hard - seems like the staff will be using TEs in the blocking game to complement/help out what will be at least one completely inexperienced tackle. 

17. More emphasis on functional defensive takeaway/strip/fumble recovery, etc. drills among this staff. Every team says it wants to win the takeaway battle, but Texas fans can rest assured that the Texas staff is pounding it in - if not in words, at least in practice and preparation.  

1567764.jpg

1567765.jpg

1567768.jpg

our dear, young and gifted, brilliant, bright and astute, relentlessly persistent david ash.  oh, how i so wish that i owned a crystal ball just to forecast your

future in particular.  sometimes, i feel as though i owe you a foremost apology.  this shall be in lieu, of constantly referring to you as a great football player.. vs a natural athlete.

therefore, after carefully scrutinizing every word of coach strong's pre training camp news conference.. i now can rest assured, that i was indeed correct.  

you see david, it seems as per coach strong's skillful evaluation.. you were setting yourself up, as per many of your disastrous hits.  whereby, a real, natural athlete..

would have avoided so very many direct contact situations by natural instinct. 

however, i shall say this about you david.  you have definitely earned my utmost / foremost respect.  

you seem to harbor the heart of a lion.. the will of a nuclear submarine, and the courage of 5* general.

i can honestly assure you, my young TEXAS quarterback, that as soon a i arrive in austin, for whatever game that i so choose to view in person..

i shall be cheering you on to victory.. big time, my pal! 

1150-01.png

caution:  please reference below information with EXTREME care!

as per anyone of our HS mates, the shocking and profound information illustrated below.. could very well be hazardous to your very health.  no joke!

however, should you so prove to be otherwise healthy, strong, and open minded... please proceed...

the copied short version:

1_2892833.jpg

Texas Comes In No. 2 On 'Best Jobs In College Football' List

12 hours ago

Texas came in as the No. 2 job on Clay Travis's list of the top jobs in college football on FoxSports.com

Travis picked Florida as his No. 1 job, citing the school's recruiting, revenue and fan support advantages.

On Texas, Travis wrote: "Since our least ranking the Big 12 has nearly died, the Longhorn Network has been a bust and Texas has fired the only coach to win a national championship in over 40 years."

"What's more, the Longhorns are under siege from the rise of Texas A&M, the only SEC brand in one of the nation's top football regions," Travis continued.

"You think it's a coincidence that recruits are suddenly picking A&M and the SEC over the Longhorns? No way. Get used to it," Travis wrote. "Stuck in the Big 12, the Longhorn brand is sinking as other college football brands rise around it. Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech are all cutting into the Longhorn lead. A&M may well surpass the Longhorns over the next generation. Think of it this way: What does Texas really have to distinguish itself from Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech? They all play in the same conference now."

Texas was one of only two Big 12 schools to make Travis's list, with Oklahoma coming in at No. 10.

the original long version:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-top-25-jobs-in-college-football-080314

6. Jerrod Heard has developed some nice muscle mass for a young guy and really looked at ease throwing the football around. He was a little inconsistent, but they were just throwing in nets, so don't overreact. At one point in practice, Heard kind of barked at Duke Catalon about something and showed no fear of speaking up and displaying some of the fiery quarterback leadership.

An example of why I'm excited about Heard, great physical talent and great leadership. This sounds like Vince Young.

A&M doesn't have to cheat. They have new uniforms the kids these days love ( the swag factor ), new facilities that are outstanding, getting a facelift that transforms the tackle box into a first class stadium, having a Heisman winner in the last 10 years, and a member of the $EC ( The conference ESPN advertises 24/7 as the GREATEST CONFERENCE IN THE WORLD ). Add to that the combination of Mack letting Texas slip off the National Title and Big 12 Championship face of the earth and Aggy joining and having some success ( beating Bama was huge ) in the $EC...... has put Texas behind the 8 ball. The fact that Baylor has risen from the have nots compounds our problems.

Texas must win and win now, we need to ditch the Royal "I won't candy ass them up" uniforms attitude. We have to conform to what attracts kids these days. We can still keep the traditional uniforms , but use some Nike crap that attracts kids once in a while ( when we play on Thanksgiving and the LHN games ). I know thats not popular with us old farts ( I don't like it either ), but times are changing and tradition doesn't mean jack squat to kids these days. If it did Notre Dame and other teams stoked with tradition would be top 5 every year. It wouldn't have to be crazy, just a little flare that would attract the kids looking for that swag factor. God forbid anything like the hideous practice uniforms. Those are horrible.

I keep waiting for evidence that kids are picking schools because of uniforms. Doesn't Bama have a zillion 5* commits. how's their uniform looking?

and ND changes their unis frequently. blue jerseys, green jerseys, shamrocks on the helmet. they've had one great year in the last 20.

A&M doesn't have to cheat. They have new uniforms the kids these days love ( the swag factor ), new facilities that are outstanding, getting a facelift that transforms the tackle box into a first class stadium, having a Heisman winner in the last 10 years, and a member of the $EC ( The conference ESPN advertises 24/7 as the GREATEST CONFERENCE IN THE WORLD ). Add to that the combination of Mack letting Texas slip off the National Title and Big 12 Championship face of the earth and Aggy joining and having some success ( beating Bama was huge ) in the $EC...... has put Texas behind the 8 ball. The fact that Baylor has risen from the have nots compounds our problems.

Texas must win and win now, we need to ditch the Royal "I won't candy ass them up" uniforms attitude. We have to conform to what attracts kids these days. We can still keep the traditional uniforms , but use some Nike crap that attracts kids once in a while ( when we play on Thanksgiving and the LHN games ). I know thats not popular with us old farts ( I don't like it either ), but times are changing and tradition doesn't mean jack squat to kids these days. If it did Notre Dame and other teams stoked with tradition would be top 5 every year. 

geez gbt.  i wish that i could meet you and shake your hand!  you are now espousing upon the very same sentiment, that i take a lot of flack for upon this great forum site.  i see that you are characterizing yourself as an "old fart".  well, i would like to state that you sound like a "wise old owl" to me.  upon my view, you are hereby ABSOLUTELY correct upon all that you have so eloquently stated.  we are hereby all abreast that the urgent need to "win" shall undoubtably satisfy some mindsets in regards to the direction of our program.  however, there shall also have to be a compromise upon the powers that be.. that some form of change shall need to be adhered to, in regards to our "traditions vs culture".  if not, then we shall continue to focus upon the rapid rise of aTm within our great state.  not to mention, the rapid migration as per this state's best recruits towards the north....  

Here we go again...let's be clear about one thing: Clay Travis is a worthless piece of shit. None of what he is saying is new, the only difference being he has a louder bullhorn now thanks to the Mensa minds over at Fox. Clay will never understand that saying something louder does not make it right.

Having said that, stop peeing in your pants over a$m please. They are not a good team nor are they a good program, and they will NEVER surpass The University of Texas in this state for longer than 5 minutes. They are trading on smoke and mirrors and CFS is closing the gap quickly. And don't even get me started on Baylor...my God.

Jeff Howe

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/Contents/Expect-fast-pace-more-physical-practices-for-Longhorns-30077209

AUSTIN, Texas – With all of the talk of sleeping in dorms, core values, and no helmet decals, lost in the shuffle is what's changing on the field for the Texas Longhorns in the first fall camp under Charlie Strong.

Strong wants to build a mentally and physically tough team, which is going to result in a lot of hitting and lot of physicality over the next few weeks. Senior running back Malcolm Brown said recently that the players got a taste of it during spring football with more inside drills and more 9-on-7 drills than the players have been used to in the past.

Horns247 has learned that the Longhorns are expected to practice every day from Monday's first practice through Saturday Aug. 23, one week before the team faces North Texas in the season opener. None of the practices are set to last longer than two hours and are expected to be (by and large) 90-120 minutes of fast paced, high energy football with plenty of contact.

Whereas in the past the Longhorns would build fall practice to as many as three preseason scrimmages, Strong would rather put his players through a scrimmage-type situations every day while keeping a pulse on his team to make sure he's pushing the right buttons.

“We'll bang it up and then pull it back,†Strong said. “I may have one or two scrimmages.â€

Another change is the tempo of practice. Players mentioned in the spring that the pace of practice was the biggest transition they had to make and Strong promises to kick things into another gear during this camp.

“What happened in the spring was the unknown because they didn't know us as a coaching staff and know what to expect,†Strong said. “Now they understand how hard we're looking for you to go.â€

With one practice in the books the players can tell a difference.

“No breaks,†junior running back Johnathan Gray said. “Everything is you run to the next station. It's 24 straight periods of running plays and no breaks.â€

6_3000430.jpg

•  

Its funny how the same Big 12 that drags Texas down can pull everyone else in the conference up. Either it sucks or it doesn't. The B12 will have half its members in the top 25 and will be just as good as everyone else from top to bottom. Texas NCS takes care of any slight they may get for the confernce schedule. Let Texas have a good season or two and aggy will be back where they always have been. Aggy is the new Arkansas. They couldnt compete in B12 and they wont in SEC. Sumlin will have offense going but it will just be UH 2.0. Defense is an afterthought. I am not worried in the least about aggy running Texas for the next decade no more than I am of Baylor, TCU or Tech. The fact that Baylor is better is welcome to me. Its better for the conference. Texas will be in playoffs within 3 years. I wouldnt bet on aggy in the next 30 if it stays 4 teams. No matter what uniform they wear or if they put geisha girls in the locker room.

I keep waiting for evidence that kids are picking schools because of uniforms. Doesn't Bama have a zillion 5* commits. how's their uniform looking?

and ND changes their unis frequently. blue jerseys, green jerseys, shamrocks on the helmet. they've had one great year in the last 20.

When you have to offer what Bama offers you don't need the fancy unis etc. Unfortunately, thanks to Mack, we aren't in that boat.

ND has their own problems; like standards that prevent them from going after the really great players. They are trying to fix that.

Texas must win and win now, we need to ditch the Royal "I won't candy ass them up" uniforms attitude. We have to conform to what attracts kids these days. We can still keep the traditional uniforms , but use some Nike crap that attracts kids once in a while ( when we play on Thanksgiving and the LHN games ). I know thats not popular with us old farts ( I don't like it either ), but times are changing and tradition doesn't mean jack squat to kids these days. If it did Notre Dame and other teams stoked with tradition would be top 5 every year. It wouldn't have to be crazy, just a little flare that would attract the kids looking for that swag factor. God forbid anything like the hideous practice uniforms. Those are horrible.

I disagree with the knowledge no matter kind of uniforms we wear it has little effect on performance. What I like about keeping the same uniforms is that the same uniform that Duke Carlisle wore is the same that James Street wore all the way to Vince Young and Jerrod Heard.

One of the best selling points to sell to recruits is the Texas tradition. We also, just need to show it on the field.  We don't need to candy ass our uniforms.  Leave that to Nike U. Like Charlie Strong said, "This is the best place in the country."

When you have to offer what Bama offers you don't need the fancy unis etc. Unfortunately, thanks to Mack, we aren't in that boat.

ND has their own problems; like standards that prevent them from going after the really great players. They are trying to fix that.

agree to disagree. i suspect whatever impact, if any, uniforms have on a top recruit's decision process, it's waaaaaaayyyy down the list.

UT's recent falloff had nothing to do with traditional uniforms. And if there's a resurgence, this whole 'we need to update our uniforms' talk will go back into hibernation.

the uniform stuff is the stupidest thing ever. win, and they'll play in burlap bags. if I never hear the word "swag" again, it will be too soon.

swag = Secretly We Are Gay

I believe it was a code word adopted by homosexual males back in the '70's to define themselves.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I agree with Jim!!! Now, has there been any information coming out of practice today?  I'm jones'in for a fix here!  I thought this thread was supposed to be about the fall camp, not a fashion discussion on uniforms and swag!!!! ;)

camp was supposedly closed to the media for today's full camp.  however, we are hearing that tomorrow the media shall be allowed to attend.  stay tuned.

swag = Secretly We Are Gay

I believe it was a code word adopted by homosexual males back in the '70's to define themselves.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...

jb, just what is it with you and this "homosexual" trip of yours?  it just makes you sound like one of those trashy deep south uneducated toothless teabaggers (guns, god, and plenty of goofiness).  i always try to equate you, as a TEXAS man with integrity!  this strange "gay" stance of yours, is just so contradicting.

jb, just what is it with you and this "homosexual" trip of yours?  it just makes you sound like one of those trashy deep south uneducated toothless teabaggers (guns, god, and plenty of goofiness).  i always equate you, as a TEXAS man with integrity!  this strange "gay" stance of yours, is just so contradicting.

I don't know what "trip" you're talking about, but that's the rumor with the usage of "swag".

Google it.