Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

steve patterson at Bristol. . .

echeese

Texassports.com - Men's Athletics Director Steve Patterson will be in Bristol, Conn., Aug. 4 and 5 and will appear on a number of ESPN platforms.

His radio and television scheduled appearances include live interviews on SportsCenter (Monday at 2:20 p.m. Central), The Mike & Mike Show (Tuesday, 8:30 a.m), SportsCenter (Tuesday at 9 a.m.), College Football Live (Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.).

Just an FYI for our fans who want to hear from our new AD. . . . . 

round 1 of the Q&A

Just on.  (Paraphrased) Highlights:

Q;  Are you surprised by suspensions and dismissals?
A:  No.  Charlie has a plan that's consistent with this history.  It's well known and the young men can get in line or get out.

Q:  Not exceeded 9 wins in last 5 years.  How much latitude does CS have?
A:  Lots of latitude, but he's going to have lots of success.  

Q:  Most exciting quality about CS?
A:  The way he builds young men for success outside of football.

Q:  The Big12 commissioner says "cheating pays" and OSU's Gundy says others are definitely cheating.  What's your position?
A:  We're following the rules and if other aren't, and it can be proven, they should suffer the penalties.

Q. Should the NCAA pay athletes?
A:  No.  A full-ride football scholarship is worth $69K tax free.  If you gross that up to consider taxes, that's in the top 1/3 of incomes in the US.  If they want to be pros they should go talk to Roger Goodel or Adam Silver.

Very rapid fire questions and answers.

• Administrators

Q. Should the NCAA pay athletes?

A:  No.  A full-ride football scholarship is worth $69K tax free.  If you gross that up to consider taxes, that's in the top 1/3 of incomes in the US.  If they want to be pros they should go talk to Roger Goodel or Adam Silver.

Very rapid fire questions and answers.

That's a strong opinion and contrarian to the popular vote.

That's a strong opinion and contrarian to the popular vote.

Yes it is, and you have to consider who he is representing when he makes statements like that.  The current system is going to change whether the folks he represents likes it or not.  I would like to see the representatives of the University of Texas be out in front of issues such as this, but it is understandable why they are not.  In the long term, it will not matter, they will loose.

Yes it is, and you have to consider who he is representing when he makes statements like that.  The current system is going to change whether the folks he represents likes it or not.  I would like to see the representatives of the University of Texas be out in front of issues such as this, but it is understandable why they are not.  In the long term, it will not matter, they will loose.

I wouldn't bet on it. .. . .

Outside of the Top 50 or so programs (maybe smaller), there isn't enough money to make the changes being demanded .. . . 

Now $200 or so bucks a month and a change in summer work programs (which will lead to even more cheating). . .yes, that might happen. . .

But when you try to restrict it to the sports actually making money, . . . .the pigs will line up at the trough and demand to be included. . .say 500 scholorship athletes per school at $250 a month. . . .A cool $1,000,000 + (9 months)

We can afford it but many schools are struggling to get by.

We need to be reminding these kids that their academic value is worth around $70K per year. . . 

I wouldn't bet on it. .. . .

Outside of the Top 50 or so programs (maybe smaller), there isn't enough money to make the changes being demanded .. . . 

Now $200 or so bucks a month and a change in summer work programs (which will lead to even more cheating). . .yes, that might happen. . .

But when you try to restrict it to the sports actually making money, . . . .the pigs will line up at the trough and demand to be included. . .say 500 scholorship athletes per school at $250 a month. . . .A cool $1,000,000 + (9 months)

We can afford it but many schools are struggling to get by.

We need to be reminding these kids that their academic value is worth around $70K per year. . . 

Actually, you are right, cheese.  The changes are going to come in small increments.  But, the changes, they will come, and they will change the face of college athletics.  It will be interesting to see how that happens. 

The in state cost of tuition and fees for a year at UT is around $9,600. Add in room and board of roughly $16,000 and we are at roughly $26,000. Someone walk me through the numbers and explain how even out of state students are paying $70,000 a year to attend UT. I know it sounds good, but neither in state nor out of state students are paying $70,000 to attend UT.

and not a single question about the things that really matter like nick voinis, personnel expense at bellmont or beer at dkr.

shoddy, shoddy journalism.

The hacks at ESPN couldn't care less about the business challenges at UT's athletic department.  They're only gonna ask about the topline CFB questions that may have a national interest.  Jim Bob in Alabamy doesn't care if Nicky V is incompetent.  

Steve Patterson is just a bridge to the next conversation about LeBron James or Tiger Woods.

The in state cost of tuition and fees for a year at UT is around $9,600. Add in room and board of roughly $16,000 and we are at roughly $26,000. Someone walk me through the numbers and explain how even out of state students are paying $70,000 a year to attend UT. I know it sounds good, but neither in state nor out of state students are paying $70,000 to attend UT.

First, the training table for athletes is not the same as the food served in Jester West, so the board value you quote is probably significantly lower than reality.

Second, the value of all those tutors and mentors that are provided to athletes was not factored in to your equation. Neither is the value of access to the exclusive study halls or lounges and the equipment therein.

Third, consider the value of access to training rooms, personal trainers, weight rooms, etc.

Those things add up very quickly, and while I do not have access to Patterson's accounting numbers I am willing to bet he didn't just pull that $ figure out of his nether region.

First, the training table for athletes is not the same as the food served in Jester West, so the board value you quote is probably significantly lower than reality.

Second, the value of all those tutors and mentors that are provided to athletes was not factored in to your equation. Neither is the value of access to the exclusive study halls or lounges and the equipment therein.

Third, consider the value of access to training rooms, personal trainers, weight rooms, etc.

Those things add up very quickly, and while I do not have access to Patterson's accounting numbers I am willing to bet he didn't just pull that $ figure out of his nether region.

There is no argument that can be made that the weight room, trainers, etc are outsized benefits that should be billed to the athletes. The University generates $165 million/year off the backs of the athletes and while salaries don't have to be paid, there are reasonable expenses any school has to incur to generate that money. Hell, if one wants to see inflate numbers to make a point, why not claim transportation to away games is a benefit the athletes should be held accountable for? It is disingenuous to claim every expense down to the $500 Old Mill napping pillows Bellmont finds so critical to their mission is provided out of the goodness of Steve Patterson's heart and the athletes need to be more appreciative for the value they are receiving. I agree a full ride scholarship to UT is something of extreme value, but there is no need to exaggerate to make his point. Staying intellectually honest would help solidify his argument. If one wants to talk hard numbers, the school's NCAA financial filings show roughly $9.35 million paid out in student aid. Divide that be 580 athletes and one gets roughly $16k in recognized expenses per athlete. How Patterson gets from $16k in recognized expenses to $70k would be another of those questions I would like someone to ask but we know no one will.

I suppose we will agree to disagree. I suggest that any additional perk afforded to athletes that is not afforded to the student body at large can be calculated into the value of the scholarship they receive. The short list I provided is only the most obvious of those perks. Should you wish to say an athletic scholarship is only equal to the cost of a full year for a member of the student body at large, that is your prerogative. Neither of us has access to the accounting.

It only makes sense to me that Patterson would use the larger figure to sell his point.

Actually, you are right, cheese.  The changes are going to come in small increments.  But, the changes, they will come, and they will change the face of college athletics.  It will be interesting to see how that happens. 

Upon further review, your point makes a great case for the Big Breakaway .. . 

Taking the top 64 to 78 teams (not sure the exact number), leaving the NCAA and forming a new Super Conference .. . 

Or 2. . . 

Since basketball and football do not have to be joined at the hip and all other sports are cash takers not givers (ie:  they do not pay for themselves so my attitude. . . they are just along for the ride).

Upon further review, your point makes a great case for the Big Breakaway .. . 

Taking the top 64 to 78 teams (not sure the exact number), leaving the NCAA and forming a new Super Conference .. . 

Or 2. . . 

Since basketball and football do not have to be joined at the hip and all other sports are cash takers not givers (ie:  they do not pay for themselves so my attitude. . . they are just along for the ride).

Mr. Nail!  Meet Mr. Hammer!  Sometimes things look a little different, depending on the perspective you take in the beginning.  The scenario you are describing is probably what will eventually happen.  The real discussion will be how and when.