Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More LHN news. . .

echeese

Long horn Network has been semi-controversial since it's inception. . .#1 problem, lack of distribution. . . more good news:

The NCTC and Disney struck a multi-year distribution agreement to deliver Disney's content to the cable co-op's participating customers across TVs, computers, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles and connected devices. As part of the deal, the NCTC will add authenticated WATCH and VOD products, Fusion, the upcomingSEC network, Longhorn network, ESPN Goal LineESPN Buzzer Beater and ESPN Bases Loaded.

NCTC's website www.nctconline.org, wasn't familiar with that org. It says "NCTC began as a business project of the Mid America Cable Association in 1984.Starting with twelve cable operators, NCTC has grown to serve over 950 cable companies across the United States. NCTC provides member cable companies access to programming networks and industry leading technology companies and products, and is a not-for-profit corporation."

So this is probably a really good thing for the LHN. A lot of independent cable companies now will carry it.

Distribution is not really the problem any longer.

IMO, it needs more entertaining sports content. A show like NFL Network's "A Football Life" would be great taking a look back at all the Longhorns Legends. In every sport.

I was thinking this as well. I'm guessing they were waiting for more carriers before they added more content.

The way the bio channel does their programming is very entertaining. I think they could go several different routes with that idea.

There is a lot they can do with an athletic program as storied as Texas'.

Suddenlink Adding SEC Network and Longhorn Network

As part of the new multi-year deal, Suddenlink will introduce several new services, including the upcoming SEC Network at launch on August 14 and Longhorn Network, beginning with the 2014-15 college football season. 

http://kagstv.com/News/KAGSNews/ID/4379/Suddenlink-Adding-SEC-Network-and-Longhorn-Network

• Administrators

I was thinking this as well. I'm guessing they were waiting for more carriers before they added more content.

The way the bio channel does their programming is very entertaining. I think they could go several different routes with that idea.

There is a lot they can do with an athletic program as storied as Texas'.

There is a ton they can do with content. They know this.

Chicken vs Egg  - do you invest in production to grow audience, OR do you gain distribution?

There is a ton they can do with content. They know this.

Chicken vs Egg  - do you invest in production to grow audience, OR do you gain distribution?

Indeed

I guess my concern now is that ESPN will allocate more resources to SECn because it has greater reach.  It will likely be much more profitable, too, in terms of advertising sales.  I really don't watch LHN outside of Longhorn Extra and live sporting events.

"The Season" featuring the 1963 and 2005 National Champions was the best original programming I've seen from LHN.  Rebroadcasts of classic games is okay, but I find the competition somewhat boring.  The broadcast quality is poor, too, because of technology at the time.

Just my opinion - don't wanna upset our more seasoned HS members.

I found it intersting that LHN is televising Little League baseball.  My LL playing grandson and family just showed up, said what's for supper, hit the pool and lounged around watching the playoffs in Waco.

LHN got some new subscibers, I'm sure.  It's cool, because these kids and their parents got a huge dose of the Texas Longhorns as well.

One issue I have talked about with a couple of people is that the resources of ESPN dedicated to college networks are being monopolized by ESPN. LHN doesn't get its own head of programming, etc. With 14 different voices screaming for content developed around their programs and with SECN delivering far greater revenues for ESPN than LHN, how much attention is LHN content going to get over the next few years?

LOL. . . 

I think if I handed some posters a bag of money, they would bitch about paper or plastic. . . 

The production quality of LHN has been outstanding. . . .FWIW. . . 

I think being creative with programing will pay big dividends down the rode. . .my #1 complaint is not enough Olympic sports coverage, swimming/diving, rowing, Volley Ball. . golf (though not an olympic sport)

Saw on ATT UVerse LHN got moved from channel 609 to 611. The forthcoming SEC network has been given 607. Interesting seeing that the prImary ESPN family runs from 602-606 and the SEC has been given the next slot vs LHN. Not a huge issue, just is easier to jump channels in a row and this seems to benefit SEC vs LHN in channel positioning. Suck it SEC, I like 611 better anyways.

Would be nice if LHN could carry highschool games but I guess thats not gonna happen. There is just so much football in Texas and not enough outlets.

Not gonna happen for LHN or any other conference network - new NCAA rule

LHN and ESPN made no secret that UIL sports were going to be a significant component of its programming.  Aggies, among others, raised hell because it gave UT "an unfair advantage" with recruiting.  I can see their point, but this rule indirectly screws BTN, SECn, etc.  They'd love to televise big high school games in their marketing areas, too.  Oh well

Not gonna happen for LHN or any other conference network - new NCAA rule

LHN and ESPN made no secret that UIL sports were going to be a significant component of its programming. Aggies, among others, raised hell because it gave UT "an unfair advantage" with recruiting. I can see their point, but this rule indirectly screws BTN, SECn, etc. They'd love to televise big high school games in their marketing areas, too. Oh well

I wonder if that rule will stick if the NCAA disbands.