• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USA Today Coaches Poll

• Administrators

I don't have any significant problems with the rankings. My 3 gut reactions - 

1. Auburn is too high.

2. South Carolina is too high.

3. Iowa being unranked is a major oversight. If you look at their schedule, the Hawkeyes could go 11-1 even if they're a mediocre football team. Mark it down, Iowa will go unbeaten for the first 2 months (at least) and they will shoot up in the rankings regardless of SOS.

• Administrators

• Administrators

I think USC is the dark horse team to win the PAC this year.  Early test Week 2 at Stanford and a trap game traveling east to Chestnut Hill the week after.  No Oregon on the schedule this year.  Good starters but depth an issue. 

I know Sark knows the conference well, but it's still hard to imagine a first year coach and staff winning the Pac 12. It's going to be highly competitive out West this Fall. Too many disadvantages for a first year group (players/coaches/schemes).

Then again...Auburn last year.

Okay, I'll give you "dark horse", but that's a stretch, IMO.  ;)

I think USC is the dark horse team to win the PAC this year.  Early test Week 2 at Stanford and a trap game traveling east to Chestnut Hill the week after.  No Oregon on the schedule this year.  Good starters but depth an issue. 

Really?

Don't see them getting past Stanford or UCLA.. . .and Zona St is no slouch. . . 

But I'm not a fan of Sark. . .interesting that Petersen gets' UDub a nod. . . 

Mizzu has to feel robbed early.

Word is many are uber impressed with OU's D. . . .I'm curious if anyone knows why?

Granted held Bama 6 points under their season average . ..with 5 turnovers . ..KSU scored their season average .. . 

What have they returned that has made their D that much better than last year?

Really?

Don't see them getting past Stanford or UCLA.. . .and Zona St is no slouch. . . 

But I'm not a fan of Sark. . .interesting that Petersen gets' UDub a nod. . . 

Mizzu has to feel robbed early.

Word is many are uber impressed with OU's D. . . .I'm curious if anyone knows why?

Granted held Bama 6 points under their season average . ..with 5 turnovers . ..KSU scored their season average .. . 

LOL...You know I'm an UCLA fan, but trying to be objective.  I really think USC has a chance to win the South this year, and maybe upset Oregon for PAC championship.

IMO, I believe Stanford will have a 4 loss season.  And I'm a huge Stanford fan too! 

USC has talent.  The question is depth.  

After Orgeron took over, only losses 10-14 against ND and 14-35 against UCLA.  Big wins however against Stanford and Arizona.

• Administrators

Read this & then we'll chat about their D:

SOONERS

OK, read it. . .again. . . .

Largely same D as last year, 1 more year of experience .. . .They still gave up plenty of points late in the season when they were supposedly gelling. ..

Face it, without out 4 turnovers (5th occured too late in the game to matter)  Bama rolls them. . . 

But my question remains largely unanswered .. .very solid D last year but they were not elite. . .many are touting them as one of the best in the nation. . .that is my question. . .what is driving many to think they go from very good to outstanding .. . . and their biggest strength is speed which is negated by running right at them. . . 

SFgirl,

Upon further review USC's D was better than I thought.. . .still. . . not sure I see it .. .USC might regret letting Oregeron go. . . 

• Administrators

Largely same D as last year, 1 more year of experience .. . .They still gave up plenty of points late in the season when they were supposedly gelling. ..

Face it, without out 4 turnovers (5th occured too late in the game to matter)  Bama rolls them. . . 

But my question remains largely unanswered .. .very solid D last year but they were not elite. . .many are touting them as one of the best in the nation. . .that is my question. . .what is driving many to think they go from very good to outstanding .. . . and their biggest strength is speed which is negated by running right at them. . . 

1. Even if added experience makes them go from good, up to very good, why is that a bad thing? Those athletes with a year of experience should be more than enough to dominate 75% of the Big 12 offenses.

2. Last year, in the last half of the season, they held 3 of their last 4 Big 12 opponents under their scoring average. That includes Baylor and OkStU (top 2 scoring teams in the league) - I'm not following your point?

3. Re: the bowl game - their D is dangerously predicated on TO's. That makes it unfair to say, "without turnover they get rolled". Of course they would....but that statement is not congruent with how they play defense?

I'm not saying the Sooners will have the best defense in the nation. Not at all.

But that talent should easily be enough to help them roll through a Big 12 that should be fairly pedestrian this year.

1. Even if added experience makes them go from good, up to very good, why is that a bad thing? Those athletes with a year of experience should be more than enough to dominate 75% of the Big 12 offenses.

2. Last year, in the last half of the season, they held 3 of their last 4 Big 12 opponents under their scoring average. That includes Baylor and OkStU (top 2 scoring teams in the league) - I'm not following your point?

3. Re: the bowl game - their D is dangerously predicated on TO's. That makes it unfair to say, "without turnover they get rolled". Of course they would....but that statement is not congruent with how they play defense?

I'm not saying the Sooners will have the best defense in the nation. Not at all.

But that talent should easily be enough to help them roll through a Big 12 that should be fairly pedestrian this year.

OU only gained 24 turnovers last year .. . of the top 50 teams in turnover margin, that total number is nearer the bottom than the middle much less the top. . . . 

Thus a 4 turnover game vs a good team (Bama only lost 17 all year) is an anomoly. . .. and yes. . .more than fair to point out.

I didn't say added experience was bad, I asked why some (and didn't say you) are calling their D elite. . . .

In OU's last 5 conference games, they were impressive vs OSU (now this was impressive)  ISU (beat up team that was outclassed). . .really they pushed with KSU and TT. . yes, they held both about 6 points under their averages. . nice but hardly fireworks and routed by Baylor. . . .

The debate will be TEXAS/KSU/OU as who fields the best D. . . .