Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Restaurants Worth Waiting in Their (Very) Long Lines Franklins #5

I read recently that a Laos restaurant opened in NYC.  My brother has friends whom are Laos and their mom makes this amazing noodle soup called Khao Poon.  It's like pho to the Vietnamese.  Definitely a comfort food.  

IMG_7428-1.jpg

That looks good!   You know, the whole Malay, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, India cooking thing is such a melange, but at the same time with a Chinese and European overlay.  Of course, even the distinctions that I mention are not culinary and really represent European distinctions by conquest, not the reality on the ground.  I have read that if you visit Thailand and move from river valley to river valley from south to north, the cuisine varies greatly, much greater than the variety that one might find in a unified culture.  Thus, it seems to follow that our concept  of culinary culture is too dependent on out political cultural definitions. I seem to remember that you are of Taiwanese descent.  I have read that culinary influences on Taiwan are very different than that of the Mainland influence, and of course, I know that the cultural history is very convoluted.  I would hope that in the future that the greatest cultural differences that we would have to argue over in the world would be culinary differences, like Monarch and Me arguing over the relative validity of Que!  Eh, Monarch?  ;)

Franklin is #1 with a bullet for brisket and pork ribs in my book.  As for KC, I tried most of the old time joints, but my favorite was the downtown Jack Stack.  I never thought I'd see a BBQ place that was a white tablecloth, high priced "nice" restaurant, but it is easily my favorite in KC. One of their side dishes is called cheesie corn, and it's in my all-time top three sides for Q. In Memphis, a quirky little place called Interstate was my fave. They have BBQ spaghetti, which sounds really weird, but I cleaned my plate when I was there. I went to Corky's in Nashville and enjoyed myself.

It is a show on the food channel with Guy Fieri. He goes around the country showcasing eating places. This thread was about eating establishments. Since he was showcasing this place in Austin I thought "what the hell, I'll post about it" maybe some of the posters have eaten there and it would bring back good memories.

It is a show on the food channel with Guy Fieri. He goes around the country showcasing eating places. This thread was about eating establishments. Since he was showcasing this place in Austin I thought "what the hell, I'll post about it" maybe some of the posters have eaten there and it would bring back good memories.

Thanks for posting, so, does Luke's still exist?

If you live in Houston and are a Bar BQ fanatic, like I am, then you will do yourself a disservice by not trying the Hickory Barn.  I challenge anyone to find better pork ribs - I don't care where you have been.  Franklins, Coopers, etc. cannot touch their ribs.  I know, I have tried most places.  The place is in an old strip center that has seen better days.  Pot holes and a furniture store that has been having "going out of business" sales for 20 years.  Oh, and a Fiesta food market - if that tells you anything.

My bride and I make it a point to drive clear over there 4 or 5 times a year - just for their ribs, corn and baked potatoes.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d486480-Reviews-Hickory_Barn_Barbeque-Houston_Texas.html