Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Restaurants Worth Waiting in Their (Very) Long Lines Franklins #5

i am not an expert by far.  but somehow, i just cannot see kansas city, missouri, as having the best bar b que in the world.  sorry.. i just cannot!

Different regions specialize in certain types of BBQ.  I would love to try their pulled pork.  One of my favorite BBQ sauces is the mustard based sauce from the Carolinas.

The mussel burger sounds really interesting.  

I've waited and tried 4/10 restaurants on this list.  

i am not an expert by far.  but somehow, i just cannot see kansas city, missouri, as having the best bar b que in the world.  sorry.. i just cannot!

We have a family friend who travels the country and writes books on barbeque, he is from Kansas City and developed his expertise in Kansas City.  My grandfather could cook one thing extremely well - slow cooked and smoked pork ribs cooked in a hand dug pit in the ground lined with bricks.  I am partial to Texas barbeque, but I have never had any pork ribs any better or any other kind of ribs for that matter.  My grandfather learned his que in Kansas City.  When I was a teenager, the uncles and the cousins and I took pity on the poor man, so we built him an above ground fire brick lined smoker que pit.  After the weekend when we inagurated that thing, the next weekend I went to visit him and he was in the middle of ripping that above ground pit apart.  I helped him finish and he used those fire brick to line the next ground dug pit.  i think his pork ribs were never better ... now, if truth be told, his briskit sucked ... bless his heart!  Long story short, don't go dissing no Kansas City que!  ;)

Different regions specialize in certain types of BBQ.  I would love to try their pulled pork.  One of my favorite BBQ sauces is the mustard based sauce from the Carolinas.

The mussel burger sounds really interesting.  

I've waited and tried 4/10 restaurants on this list.  

I have lived both in Western North Carolina and an hour outside of Charleston, South Carolina.  Aside from their que, which is very different one from the other, by the way, there is an unusual thing about South Carolina.  In the country, when I lived there in the early seventies, every few miles throughout the country you will come into the blessed provenance of a corner country store.  There, if you are in a hurry you can get yourself a Moon Pie, I was partial to the banana, and an ROC Cola, yes there really was such a thing back then, or a Delaware Punch, which somehow I think never set foot in Delaware, but I sure did like them.  Now if you had time to sit a spell, you could get a chance to sample their version of que, some homemade hand held fruit pies, or that unusual local specialty, boiled peanuts in the shell ... mmm ... good eatin but messy!  But I gotta tell you that I am not interested in spending more than fifteen minutes waiting in line anywhere for food of any kind ... so I guess I will never have the opportunity to sample Franklin's delectible delights, and quite frankly, Charlotte!  I do not give a damn!  You see, que, good que, abides in Austin in abundance!  ;)

We have a family friend who travels the country and writes books on barbeque, he is from Kansas City and developed his expertise in Kansas City.  My grandfather could cook one thing extremely well - slow cooked and smoked pork ribs cooked in a hand dug pit in the ground lined with bricks.  I am partial to Texas barbeque, but I have never had any pork ribs any better or any other kind of ribs for that matter.  My grandfather learned his que in Kansas City.  When I was a teenager, the uncles and the cousins and I took pity on the poor man, so we built him an above ground fire brick lined smoker que pit.  After the weekend when we inagurated that thing, the next weekend I went to visit him and he was in the middle of ripping that above ground pit apart.  I helped him finish and he used those fire brick to line the next ground dug pit.  i think his pork ribs were never better ... now, if truth be told, his briskit sucked ... bless his heart!  Long story short, don't go dissing no Kansas City que!  ;)

sorry my great pal.. but still not buying it!  no one is hereby "dissing" the bar b que of kansas city.  i just do not believe that it is the best the world.  i would mention that you would afford a bit of a bias there, due to your grandfather's excellent skills learned in kansas city.  however, my family hails from the cajun / creole areas of louisiana.. and i can assure you that they are some of the finest cooks ever!  you have mentioned your family friend.. well, please allow for me to mention my uncles.  these gentlemen relative's of mine, were born in louisiana, and hereby raised in beaumont, tx.  my uncles, were a bit famous in the beaumont area, for their homemade.. from scratch.. bar b qued links and sausages.  i see that you have described your grandfather's hand dug ground pit.  (which of course, i find a brilliant strategy of cooking)  well, my uncles designed and constructed a walk in stone smoker, that was built to perfection.  i recall as a boy, walking into this edifice while it was in action.. and gazing at the rows upon rows.. of perfectly lined made from scratch sausages and links.  my pal, i'm talking links that would literally melt in your mouth.  and please trust me, i really don't even want to start upon their beef vs pork ribs... you would kill for those...  please trust me my good pal, when people mention stories regarding "east texas bar b que".  BELIEVE IT!

I've eaten at the cream of the KC joints. Bryant's, Gates, Oklahoma Joe's, Hayward's, Jack Stack, etc. KC is a sauce based BBQ. If you like you meat slathered in that crap you will be in heaven. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than Arby's, but to compare it to what we have in Central Texas is laughable.

sorry my great pal.. but still not buying it!  no one is hereby "dissing" the bar b que of kansas city.  i just do not believe that it is the best the world.  i would mention that you would afford a bit of a bias there, due to your grandfather's excellent skills learned in kansas city.  however, my family hails from the cajun / creole areas of louisiana.. and i can assure you that they are some of the finest cooks ever!  you have mentioned your family friend.. well, please allow for me to mention my uncles.  these gentlemen relative's of mine, were born in louisiana, and hereby raised in beaumont, tx.  my uncles, were a bit famous in the beaumont area, for their homemade.. from scratch.. bar b qued links and sausages.  i see that you have described your grandfather's hand dug ground pit.  (which of course, i find a brilliant strategy of cooking)  well, my uncles designed and constructed a walk in stone smoker, that was built to perfection.  i recall as a boy, walking into this edifice while it was in action.. and gazing at the rows upon rows.. of perfectly lined made from scratch sausages and links.  my pal, i'm talking links that would literally melt in your mouth.  and please trust me, i really don't even want to start upon their beef vs pork ribs... you would kill for those...  please trust me my good pal, when people mention stories regarding "east texas bar b que".  BELIEVE IT!

Before this gets into a full blown feud, monarch!  Lets make one thing very clear before we go to dueling pistols at dawn!  I once had a girlfriend from Slidell, Louisiana.  That was a long time ago, back when I was in my early twenties.  When I visited her and her family one Christmas New Years, I gotta tell ya that I never had better brisket than what her Daddy cooked.  I also gotta tell you that I did not have better que there in Slidell until we went across the tracks so to speak, to a place that Becky's Dad described as the Juke Joint ... now I do not remember if he actually called it that, but that is what it was ... Juke Joint by night and que joint by day.  Well they told me that that que joint had the best ribs and links in Louisiana.  I am afraid that I do not remember for sure whether truth was told to me that day or not, because I quickly became enamored with the gumbo, and the catfish, the oysters, and the crawdads, mudbugs as I knew them.  I had never eaten anything quite like that.  It sure was good.  To this day, I am the best gumbo cook I know.  I started out red and I moved to gumbo black earth tones as I matured.

I learned something that day.  There is no such thing as a best anything ... there is only the best that is set in front of you that day.  If you come to Austin, and you want some good posole.  I have a place that I can take you, and you will love the posole.  One week it is better than the next, I am sure that they alternate the posole cook on the weekends. I will take you there because the posole is so good because If I ask ,they will bring us avocado sauce to go with the chips, and that avocado sauce makes the posole better, even if it never touches the posole except maybe in my estomogo.  Also, if maybe you decide you would rather have caldo de pollo.  It will be the best caldo de pollo maybe because the salsa avocado makes it so.

My point is that there is no best ever.  There is the best that you can have, that day.  Que is universal.  I cannot say that Austin, Texas que is better than Kansas City que, or que that I have had with Korean or Taiwanese or Indian friends.  Nobody makes better Kansas City ribs cooked in a ground pit like my grandfather made, with no sauce by the way, because he no longer can make them.  Those were the best of those that I ever had.  No one can make bulgogi like the wife of my Korean friend, Jae Sook.  I am the ultimate anti-foodie.  I refuse to wait in line for the best of anything when there are wonderful discoveries to be made in a mom and pop down the road.  Please, do not get me started on Pittsburgh and Polish corned beef and Turkish food!  We discovered Pittsburgh on the way back from Maine last year, and I gotta tell ya that we are planning a vacation back to Pittsburgh just for the food and and the Fall color.  I am happy to wait for food, if I get to sit with the people who are making it, talking, and getting to know them, not waiting for some foodie experience.

By the way, I hope that everybody understands that I think that this is all in good fun!  Dayum all of you for your questionable taste!  The food is only as good as the stories that you tell!  ;)

I've been to Bryant's, Gates, & Jack Stack, too.

Nothing compares to good Texas BBQ. I liked the Memphis cue @ Rendezvous and Corky's better than KC, too.

I've been to Corky's in Branson. It was pretty good. Table had 5/6 different types of sauces. I went with the Texas sauce more than any other.

Stanley's in Tyler is by far the best around my neck of the woods.

When you're in NYC, you have to try the KBBQ at Mapo in Queens.

I thought Los Angeles had the best KBBQ until my friends took me to Mapo.  The Galbi was unreal.  So buttery and melted in my mouth. 

By KBBQ, I am assuming you mean Korean BBQ.  My brother in law lives in Fort Lee, New Jersey and my Wife and he grew up in The Bronx, No Thonx!  Next time we go I will hit you up again for suggestions.  Knowing my Brother in Law, he will already know of a place, but who can tell.  Shan do you know of a Burmese restaurant in NYC?  We used to go to a place called Dagon down in the Village.  They had a dish called Rangoon Night Market Noodles that was to die for.  Bits of smoked duck and bits of vegetables in noodles.  Looked like nothing but noodles with skimpy bits.  To this day, I am not sure how they got the flavor of that smoked duck throughout  the noodles. I think it has to do with marinating the smoked duck in oil after smoking it, and pan frying the noodles in the oil after parboiling them, but I have never been able to duplicate it.   I have explored Burmese spices and even tried to adapt recipes for Chinese Tea Smoked Duck to no avail.  Personally, I think it is Burmese magic.  In reality I think it is because you cannot get the high heat with woks on American stove tops without setting off smoke detectors.

By KBBQ, I am assuming you mean Korean BBQ.  My brother in law lives in Fort Lee, New Jersey and my Wife and he grew up in The Bronx, No Thonx!  Next time we go I will hit you up again for suggestions.  Knowing my Brother in Law, he will already know of a place, but who can tell.  Shan do you know of a Burmese restaurant in NYC?  We used to go to a place called Dagon down in the Village.  They had a dish called Rangoon Night Market Noodles that was to die for.  Bits of smoked duck and bits of vegetables in noodles.  Looked like nothing but noodles with skimpy bits.  To this day, I am not sure how they got the flavor of that smoked duck throughout  the noodles. I think it has to do with marinating the smoked duck in oil after smoking it, and pan frying the noodles in the oil after parboiling them, but I have never been able to duplicate it.   I have explored Burmese spices and even tried to adapt recipes for Chinese Tea Smoked Duck to no avail.  Personally, I think it is Burmese magic.  In reality I think it is because you cannot get the high heat with woks on American stove tops without setting off smoke detectors.

Never had Burmese food in NYC but did in SF.  There's this amazing restaurant in the Richmond District called Burma Superstar.  They don't take reservations and speaking of lines, the wait is out the door.  You definitely have to try when you're back in the Bay Area.  

Smoked duck sounds amazing!  I'll be in NYC in September for my annual US Open trip.  I must try this restaurant!  You said it's called Dagon?  Which neighborhood?

Never had Burmese food in NYC but did in SF.  There's this amazing restaurant in the Richmond District called Burma Superstar.  They don't take reservations and speaking of lines, the wait is out the door.  You definitely have to try when you're back in the Bay Area.  

Smoked duck sounds amazing!  I'll be in NYC in September for my annual US Open trip.  I must try this restaurant!  You said it's called Dagon?  Which neighborhood?

It was there.  But, no longer.  At the time, it was the only Burmese restaurant in the NYC area, we are talking about thirty years plus ago.   It was in the Village.

It was there.  But, no longer.  At the time, it was the only Burmese restaurant in the NYC area, we are talking about thirty years plus ago.   It was in the Village.

I read recently that a Laos restaurant opened in NYC.  My brother has friends whom are Laos and their mom makes this amazing noodle soup called Khao Poon.  It's like pho to the Vietnamese.  Definitely a comfort food.  

IMG_7428-1.jpg