Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warchant write up on John Burt

echeese

Michael L of Warchant's write up on John Burt. . .worth sharing. . . posted from OB

First off and I've said this in a couple of threads John Burt is the ultimate student athlete, a great kid and representative for the University of Texas. 

When he was a sophomore, John already had over 20 offers. When he got to his junior season, that number went up to 40 offers. He is the type of kid that would rather help his teammates than talk about himself. He's one of the most popular players on his team and leads by example. He's not a vocal guy, but his work ethic was far ahead of most underclassmen when I first saw him as a freshman. 

Most already know that the Texas choice was hardly even a battle after it offered. The funny story about that is I'm told that Texas wasn't even going to recruit him because they thought it might be a waste of time. John actually got one of his family members to make a call to let Texas know there is a real shot. Chris Vaughn played a major role. 

For those that don't know, Vaughn is from Tallahassee and attended rival Godby high school. He knows the kids so well in the area. Vaughn is very personable and is about as straight a shooter as you can get, so a lot of the kids gravitate toward him. I've known Chris ever since he played at Godby and I consider him to one of the best recruiters I've been around. 

Bottom line, it was more than John being a big Texas fan, he had to connect with the Texas staff. Charlie Strong and Chris Vaughn had an immediate connection with him.

In my opinion, this recruitment was over a week before Texas was going to offer. John told me that Texas was his dream school, so the ball was rolling much earlier than people thought. Once I knew Strong was on board, this one was over. Burt raved about him at Louisville and two would talk a lot. Probably more than any coach I can remember. 

When I saw John as a freshman, I knew he was going to be special. He could adjust his body so well when the ball was in the air and still has the best hands I've seen out of any player I've covered in my 15 years of covering high school football. For those that also don't know, Burt is also an exceptional high jumper on the track and field team. He also runs in the 400 for Lincoln. John has good speed, but he's the type that gets faster once his acceleration hits after the first two or three steps. His acceleration after the catch is more impressive to me than just his overall speed. 

John is a solid route runner and that wasn't always the case as a freshman and sophomore. He didn't stick or nail the routes, but a lot of that came with reps. As a freshman, he was so tough to keep off the field that the Lincoln staff started coming up with packages just to get him on the field because of how explosive he was after the catch. One of his strongest areas is how he high points the football down near the red zone. Like I said before, he shields his body very well and knows how to torque his body to make an adjustment on the football. 

Burt will need to gain more weight for size once he gets to Texas, but that should not take long. After talking with high school coaches that play against Lincoln, a lot of them have to game plan to slow or limit Burt's touches because he averages nearly 17 yards per catch. The wide open attack from Charlie Strong fits John really well. I haven't seen too many defensive backs that can handle him one on one. 

Is he flashy? Depends what your version of flashy is. He's not a guy that's going to go 80 yards every time he touches the ball, but he will go 60 yards with that speed and size. He's a kid with over a 3.4 GPA and very good football IQ of the game. 

As I watched John over the years, he likes to study cornerbacks in how they attack him and a lot of time sets them up on routes for the next play. I'm not sure who he reminds me of. If I had to pick one based on what I've seen from Texas, I would say Limas Sweed would be a good one. Not so much in the hands department because I think John is ahead of the curve, but route running and what he does after the catch. 

Sorry so long guys, but I wanted to make sure I cover everything that pops to mind about John. Feel free to ask any questions. From a personal standpoint, I don't have a lot of connections to Texas, but the one I do have is that I'm a die hard Dallas Cowboys fan. Been one since I was four, so there's that and I also have some family in the Dallas, Arlington areas. 

Once again guys congrats on Burt. He's a very good one that I can see getting on the field very early.

Michael L of Warchant's write up on John Burt. . .worth sharing. . . posted from OB

...When I saw John as a freshman, I knew he was going to be special. He could adjust his body so well when the ball was in the air and still has the best hands I've seen out of any player I've covered in my 15 years of covering high school football. For those that also don't know, Burt is also an exceptional high jumper on the track and field team. He also runs in the 400 for Lincoln. John has good speed, but he's the type that gets faster once his acceleration hits after the first two or three steps. His acceleration after the catch is more impressive to me than just his overall speed. ...

This answers some of the questions about his speed.  As he gains strength, he can work on that first step, but it seems like his body control, leaping ability, good hands, and speed change ability once he is already into his route, will be his strengths.

"He could adjust his body so well when the ball was in the air and still has the best hands I've seen out of any player I've covered in my 15 years of covering high school football."

"One of his strongest areas is how he high points the football down near the red zone. Like I said before, he shields his body very well and knows how to torque his body to make an adjustment on the football."

Sounds like this kid has the "my ball" mentality. I will take that any day over world class speed. Add 15 pounds to that frame and he will be a special D1 player.