Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

such ominous, and yet continuous violence surrounding such notable institutions of higher learning. WHY! anyone...

much obliged bevostuntdouble, as per your contribution to this topic.  actually, you have instilled a most unique point.. "the changing society that we live in".  to date, i have been pondering in my mind, just why these young men are hereby striking these young females with such force vs conviction.. something akin to a prize match.  from your standpoint, i guess the roles upon society have so changed to the very degree, that men no longer focus upon women as they were hereby brought up too.  and the very same scenario for women towards men.  it has become so very frightening!  and yet, it is indeed altogether profoundly sad.  due to the very point that all involved.. are so very young.  

YES! Exactly... The roles have changed so much on both sides and with the good comes the bad. It is a sad prospect and will be interesting to see how society continues to evolve/devolve. In a few words I think I'd characterize it as the empowerment of women and the loss of power by men. I don't think people realize how huge a shift that is and where it will potentially take us. Its always interesting to get peoples take on gender roles and equality... I think so very few people realize what equality truly means and instead apply this sort of equality with strings attached type of deal, which undermines the ideal of equality all together. 

Have you guys considered that violence and crime from young athletes in reality may not be growing? In all actuality, these crimes and violence that we read about may actually be statistically at a lower rate than they were say 40 and 50 years ago.

I think the uprising of social media may be contributing to the fact that we are hearing more about these issues and thus the outrage and anger from society who are given this info in real time. This is just a theory, but maybe these issues have been going on for a very long time and we just haven't heard about them as much. Maybe the crimes that happened with athletes in the past were even covered up so we never will know.

I don't know, it could just be a crazy conspiracy theory, but I don't buy it that just recently athletes have been resorting to violence, crime and disrespecting women. For all we know, the rate of these issues may actually be down.

Have you guys considered that violence and crime from young athletes in reality may not be growing? In all actuality, these crimes and violence that we read about may actually be statistically at a lower rate than they were say 40 and 50 years ago.

I think the uprising of social media may be contributing to the fact that we are hearing more about these issues and thus the outrage and anger from society who are given this info in real time. This is just a theory, but maybe these issues have been going on for a very long time and we just haven't heard about them as much. Maybe the crimes that happened with athletes in the past were even covered up so we never will know.

I don't know, it could just be a crazy conspiracy theory, but I don't buy it that just recently athletes have been resorting to violence, crime and disrespecting women. For all we know, the rate of these issues may actually be down.

Def a possibility... But what I think happens in places where the kids aren't punished, it sends a signal to the other kids in the area that they can do X Y Z and get away with it. That is something that I do think social media influences. EX: LSU players know they will not be held accountable for any of their actions... And if they are, the punishments will be as soft as possible. To me, that sends the signal to kids all around the country(via social media and conventional media) that if you want to go to a school that will allow you to do whatever you want, LSU is the place for you. If you want to go to a school where you will be held accountable and expected to be a young man, Texas is the place for you. Whereas before the media era there was a bit of unknown as to what would happen to you. Again that is just a theory of my own.