Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kevin Sumlin is a winner.

Lord Vader

Aggie Sports @Aggie_Sports
Sumlin said it's easy to kick a guy off the team. But in the "business of developing men."

Sumlin - "We're doing everything we can to represent Texas A&M the right way."

This tells you everything you need to know about this guy. 

No he's in the "business of keeping his best football players on the team"; I hope someone calls him out on this nonsense. If he was doing everything in his power to represent A&M the right way he wouldn't continue coddling players that violate their sacred honor code. Sumlin did a fantastic job developing Claiborne, Golden, Miles, and Stansbury. 

who cares about sumlin and his aTm players?  shouldn't we be worried / concerned about our very own....  we just lost about 5 or 6 longhorns didn't we!

1-Yes we should care about Sumlin. He clearly made the response as a jab at Strong's approach to discipline. 

2-Yes we did just lose 5 or 6 Longhorns. It's called instilling discipline. Trying to compare these dismissals with A&M's dismissals is laughable. Strong is booting kids for failed drug tests, not going to class, etc. We saw how Sumlin treated several players over at A&M who were caught with drugs. Strong is taking a proactive approach to discipline. Sumlin waits for kids to pull a Claiborne, Miles, Golden and Stansbury. 

3-I will be calling out Aggies for every arrest now after that comment. If Sumlin is "developing young men" I'm going to hold him to his word. 

Kicking guys off teams is hard and keeping hard headed kids is also hard. Strong and Sum both want whats best for these kids. They wouldn't be in the position they are in if they didn't care. Until you have to pull that trigger its hard to say what you would do. 

I think we need to read between the lines here. Why is Sumlin all the sudden taking shots at Charlie after A&M has supposedly been "running this state"?  I think he's starting to see a shift in momentum combined with a lot of parents who seem to favor Strong's tough love and accountability approach compared to Sumlin's "lets see how much I can cover for my guys and get them the least amount of punishment" approach. The past couple of days may have been a little rocky but i think its going to pay off for years to come.

Kicking guys off teams is hard and keeping hard headed kids is also hard. Strong and Sum both want whats best for these kids. They wouldn't be in the position they are in if they didn't care. Until you have to pull that trigger its hard to say what you would do. 

Have you ever fired someone?

Have you had to manage people who put a large investment into their careers?

Have you been a manager who had to set rules and guidelines?

I have done them all, and it is far easier to turn the other cheek and let it go than it is to be tough and set clear rules and consequences.  And dont give me the line that Kevin Sumlin isnt in this for money and personal gain over those kids.  You think hed want his daughter coming home with any of the thugs he allows to run wild?

Question. If Sumlin cares so much about "developing men" why has A&M had like 20 arrests in 2 years?

There's only two answers to this question. 1) Sumlin doesn't actually give a crap about "developing men" or 2) His style of discipline doesn't work for "developing men". 

I would respect Sumlin more if he came out and said he didn't dismiss players because he wanted to win games. It's a nice deflection by Sumlin, but it's complete nonsense. 

Yeah I can't honestly say I buy that. It would be different if he had made that comment a week ago but making that comment today when most of the media is witnessing the purge is questionable timing at best. These guys don't get D1 head coaching positions because they are dumb or miss details. Sumlin knew exactly what he was doing. It wasn't a direct blast but just a little chip at Texas. That usually comes from someone who sees a rising threat and wants to squash it without looking petty. The fact that he would say something like this makes me feel that much better about Strong and the standard he's setting.

I don't think it was a knock on strong. He's used that exact phrasing at almost every coaches night thus far.

Convenient timing though wouldn't you say?  Whether Sumlin has used this in the past, present, or future he choose to send this out directly after Strong had the cojones to eject bad apples who would cause a negative impact on the rest of the team.  Why harbor malcontents who can't abide by a few rules that most of humanity already enacts on a daily basis?  History shows most can't and won't change their ways until the hammer is dropped (saw Ramonce Taylor on the local news this week; arrested, did jail time, and now seems to be on the straight and narrow coaching high school football).  Sumlin looks foolish putting out a retort such as this after Strong actually enforces his "code".  I have frequently laughed at the Aggie code breakers over the years, granted most likely the minority.  One memorable example was while I was on the 40 acres numerous Ags got arrested cutting trees down on campus for their beloved bonfire.  Stay classy.  I previously had admired Sumlin from afar with his days at UH, and his progression to College Station.  This admiration has eroded over the last year.  If Strong is in the same position in 1-2 years (I'm sure he won't) such as the fiasco that Sumlin is chairman over, I will assume he will be shown the door by an embarassed university and alumni.

"We care" about what is said for many reasons, including the message to recruits and the latest example of the stark contrast in programs.

Far as a "who cares" post...something about stones and glass houses comes to mind....

well it's really nice to know that you took the opportunity to reference my "stones and glass houses" thread.  then you of all people, should know perfectly well, just why i could care less about coach kevin sumlin and his college station antics.  however, the real question is.. just why are you so very concern about this coach from another institution, that is not even affiliated as per our conference?  the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, has just lost up to 6 of our players.. upon the most profound and haphazard manner.  this should indeed be our most primary mode of concern.  we have our very own house to place back into order.  please allow for us to mind our own business here upon the 40 acres.. and allow for aTm, to lead their mode of business as they see fit.  aTm, represents the SEC.  we shall need to perform any and all.. to uphold what is left as per our own struggling BIG 12 Conference.

Have you ever fired someone?

Have you had to manage people who put a large investment into their careers?

Have you been a manager who had to set rules and guidelines?

I have done them all, and it is far easier to turn the other cheek and let it go than it is to be tough and set clear rules and consequences.  And dont give me the line that Kevin Sumlin isnt in this for money and personal gain over those kids.  You think hed want his daughter coming home with any of the thugs he allows to run wild?

I actually work very closely with kids and have been apart of these same decisions that these coaches are facing. Its alot easier with a 28-30 year old man than it is with a 16-22 year old even though most will say 22 is grown enough. Of course these coaches are in it for money. Anyone that says other is telling a lie and yea winning is a big deal because it feeds his family. I only put those things because I have met Sumlin before and I know some of those Aggie coaches very very well. 

well it's really nice to know that you took the opportunity to reference my "stones and glass houses" thread.  then you of all people, should know perfectly well, just why i could care less about coach kevin sumlin and his college station antics.  however, the real question is.. just why are you so very concern about this coach from another institution, that is not even affiliated as per our conference?  the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, has just lost up to 6 of our players.. upon the most profound and haphazard manner.  this should indeed be our most primary mode of concern.  we have our very own house to place back into order.  please allow for us to mind our own business here upon the 40 acres.. and allow for aTm, to lead their mode of business as they see fit.  aTm, represents the SEC.  we shall need to perform any and all.. to uphold what is left as per our own struggling BIG 12 Conference.

Monarch, I do not consider what has happened as a concern for us. Strong is taking charge of the team, and it will be better for it. We have lacked discipline for a while. It is time to get it back.

Sumlin looks foolish putting out a retort such as this after Strong actually enforces his "code".  I have frequently laughed at the Aggie code breakers over the years, granted most likely the minority.

We don't have a "code" at UT, Mike.  We have 5 Core Values.  Read it, learn it, live it.

10525772_10152570609943703_8019803063394

I don't think it was a knock on strong. He's used that exact phrasing at almost every coaches night thus far.

Which phrase - "Kicking kids off the team is easy"?  I've followed him pretty close (all the way back to UH) and this is the first time I have heard him say it.  Maybe you have a link?

Sumlin said it's easy to kick a guy off the team. But in the "business of developing men."

Sumlin - "We're doing everything we can to represent Texas A&M the right way."

This tells you everything you need to know about this guy. 

Wonder when he plans to start doing that...developing men that is?

Actually, Monarch, aggy also represents the state of Texas - where we reside.  As the second flagship school in the state and as our chief rival for Texas recruits they cannot be ignored.  They do not operate in a vacuum and they can, do and have affected our university mightily.

Charlie Strong is dismissing players, it appears, for breaking his core rules.  We have only had two dismissed for felony charges.  Aggy, on the other hand, have dismissed their players for criminal activities - because they had to.  This is quite a bit different than us and, frankly, i've seen no evidence that Sumlin has expressed any core values of his own.  I have, on the other hand, seen Johnny Manziels' core values and I will give Sumlin credit for benching him the first half of the Rice game.  This showed everyone that Sumlin's discipline sword is mighty and swift.

All this being said, I get what you are trying to say.  And your point has some validity.

Also, I am curious as to why you think the Big 12 is "struggling"?  This is a serious question.

Actually, Monarch, aggy also represents the state of Texas - where we reside.  As the second flagship school in the state and as our chief rival for Texas recruits they cannot be ignored.  They do not operate in a vacuum and they can, do and have affected our university mightily.

Charlie Strong is dismissing players, it appears, for breaking his core rules.  We have only had two dismissed for felony charges.  Aggy, on the other hand, have dismissed their players for criminal activities - because they had to.  This is quite a bit different than us and, frankly, i've seen no evidence that Sumlin has expressed any core values of his own.  I have, on the other hand, seen Johnny Manziels' core values and I will give Sumlin credit for benching him the first half of the Rice game.  This showed everyone that Sumlin's discipline sword is mighty and swift.

All this being said, I get what you are trying to say.  And your point has some validity.

Also, I am curious as to why you think the Big 12 is "struggling"?  This is a serious question.

doc, just what in the world is going on here!  i had an opportunity to reference BOTH of those shocking affidavits.. and i damn near had to run outside clutching my stomach.  i can honestly assure you, that the officers that had to sign upon the dotted line that horrible evening..... definitely were in the opinion, that these alleged incidents were indeed CRIMINAL OFFENSES should they be so proven!  ok now, you see.. this is the very thing that just kills me with the stalwarts upon OUR SIDE... we need to STOP acting as though we are so much better than aTm... when everyone in the nation, may now see that the TEXAS HOUSE has some very ominous cracks upon our BILLION DOLLAR foundation.  just why in the HELL, are we constantly concerned vs worried about what goes on upon someone else's territory, when we have so very much to be concerned with upon our own acreage?  now, you are mentioning to me that "aTm shares the state of texas where we reside", well, upon my view.. so does govenor rick perry.  for whom has become a global embarrassment as per our great state of texas... this does not mean that every time i decide to blink my eye.. i have to resort to voicing my utmost concerns, regarding this statewide anomaly / clown.  (oh, and before i choose to forget... he's an aggie)  also, by the way doc.. my "point" has indeed a lot of validity.  we need to mind our own damn business at TEXAS.  and learn to incorporate a page or two, as per our new head coach..  LET'S START CLEANING UP OUR OWN HOUSE!