Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chalk Talk: Coverages

Cool article. Texas will play some 0 but they will have that SS on the slot instead of the Will backer. Alot of teams roll the SS down in cov 3 to get an extra run defender and play the 2 corners and Fs in the deep thirds. That cloud cov 3 is a cool change up because that corner playing flats looks like a cov 2 corner. What all teams are playing now is a Cov 4 match up man. Starts out looking like a cov 4 but the Dbs are route reading normally keying the #2 defender and will man up the guy that comes to their zone. 

• Administrators

Cool article. Texas will play some 0 but they will have that SS on the slot instead of the Will backer. Alot of teams roll the SS down in cov 3 to get an extra run defender and play the 2 corners and Fs in the deep thirds. That cloud cov 3 is a cool change up because that corner playing flats looks like a cov 2 corner. What all teams are playing now is a Cov 4 match up man. Starts out looking like a cov 4 but the Dbs are route reading normally keying the #2 defender and will man up the guy that comes to their zone. 

I'll be interested to see if Strong and Bedford trust the LB to get to that shallow outside zone fast enough. I'm not sure the Texas roster is suited for it. Unless an athlete like Cobbs really ignites with new coaching. For those same reasons, I think the Texas D matches up better with OU than Baylor.

It's good that those Strong & Bedford will get to see personnel and fit for two games before facing a team that can really test coverages (and a QB that will read and exploit mistakes).

Coleman, great read!

Next topic seems very boring but always confusing for me, especially with different offensive sets.  Can you please explain number of players eligible to line up on line of scrimmage and why sometimes certain players aren't eligible for passes, or go in motion?

Must have 7 players on the LOS (Line of scrimmage) when the ball is snapped.  If they aren't eligible its because they have an ineligible number or they are covered up by an player outside of them. Any of the 3 eligible ball carries off the LOS can go in motion but cant be going towards the LOS while the ball is being snapped. I hope that made some type of sense.

I'll be interested to see if Strong and Bedford trust the LB to get to that shallow outside zone fast enough. I'm not sure the Texas roster is suited for it. Unless an athlete like Cobbs really ignites with new coaching. For those same reasons, I think the Texas D matches up better with OU than Baylor.

It's good that those Strong & Bedford will get to see personnel and fit for two games before facing a team that can really test coverages (and a QB that will read and exploit mistakes).

Guys like P. Jinkens should be good in situations like those. He is a runner and possible a guy like Tim Cole. Having thumpers like Santos and Edmond in the middle help with those OU type teams. If Duke and Evans can really turn it on and free up Diggs to play some safety and nickel it sure would help alot.

Must have 7 players on the LOS (Line of scrimmage) when the ball is snapped. If they aren't eligible its because they have an ineligible number or they are covered up by an player outside of them. Any of the 3 eligible ball carries off the LOS can go in motion but cant be going towards the LOS while the ball is being snapped. I hope that made some type of sense.

I was watching a replay the other day of the Iowa v Texas Alamo Bowl. Iowa was us by a score or two and they were moving the ball pretty good on our defense when they threw a deep touchdown to a TE on us. The play was called back because the TE was lined up too close to the LOS and was covered up by the outside receiver. It was a huge turning point in the game as we got the ball back and scored. That one play probably caused a 14 point swing. Little details like how close a player lines up to the LOS and who is covered up and not covered up can make a huge difference.

Definitely! the cover 3 is an extremely versatile because of that 'roll'. By playing the 2 corners deep you get the same effect as you would with the Cover 4 (running with the WR). And yes when in a 0 Coverage it's a much better idea to have your safety cover the Slot, but without a disguise, your Cover 0 blitz will be identified quickly and (if the QB is smart) the play will be changed.