Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

24/7's Top 10 from UTL

echeese

Hope this is OK. . .. I am a big fan of 24/7's work. . .today they do the best job on the interwebs (though I expect we pass them here soon). . . not a great community however. . . . .

Couple of surprise names. . .which is the point of UTL. . .uncover diamonds in the rough

Here now is our list of top ten performers with ten honorable mention selections from Friday's camp. Prospect are listed alphabetically.

Under The Lights: Top Ten Performers

Louis Brown, ATH, Burton 
The Top247 athlete and former Baylor commit worked out at defensive end on Friday evening. He plays against very small-school competition in Class 1A but used his length and athleticism really well against some very good offensive tackles. He was quick to the outside but used an inside move well too. He has a great frame to add weight.

Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Spring Westfield (2016) 
The transfer from Houston Northbrook is a Top247 prospect for good reason. Though he is still a bit raw, he showed surprising speed getting away from the cornerbacks trying to jam him at the line. He had perhaps the highlight of the camp with a diving catch over the shoulder during the one-on-one session.

Tipa Galeai, DE, Euless Trinity 
The 6-foot-4, 215-pound rising senior had a lot of people wondering who he was as he kept getting the better of well-known tackles. Though he is still relatively slight of frame, he used his strength as well as his quickness to be a solid edge rusher. He has a few Pac-12 offers and will be a steal for one of those schools.

D'Anthony Hopkins, ATH, Cuero 
The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder is committed to UTSA but more schools will definitely come calling his senior year. He spends most of his time at running back but worked out at linebacker on Friday. He had the quickest feet of anybody at the position during drills and was solid in pass coverage as well.

D'Eriq King, QB/ATH, Manvel (2016) 
The Top247 rising junior is being recruited by most schools, including Texas, as an athlete but he was the most impressive quarterback at Friday’s camp. He had exceptional touch on his deep ball, placing it directly over the receiver’s shoulder several times. His size will likely keep him from being a full-time quarterback in college but his skillset is enough for schools to at least give him a shot there.

Matthew Merrick, QB, Irving Cistercian 
If Texas is going to take a second quarterback not named Kai Locksley in this class, Merrick is the one to watch. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound passer wanted to play college basketball but has recently realized his future is in football. For a dual-threat prospect, he showed exceptional poise in the pocket.

7_2975853.jpg

Warren was one of the surprises at camp and had arguably the top performance of anyone present.

Patrick Vahe, OL, Euless Trinity 
It's easy to see why Joe Wickline likes the four-star Longhorn commit as a center at the next level. He had the strongest base of any linemen in attendance and was able to completely stonewall several defensive tackles that tried to use the bull rush to get to the passer.

Isaac Warren, CB, John Tyler 
Perhaps the biggest surprise of the camp, the tall Sam Houston State pledge was the best and most talked about defensive back in attendance. He did an exceptional job jamming receivers at the line and also was able to run with them in stride down the field. He did not shy away from competition and had no problem calling out the big names. It seems very unlikely he signs with the FCS program when all is said and done and could have even earned a Longhorn offer.

Toby Weathersby, OL, Spring Westfield 
The Texas pledge was the most consistent offensive tackle in attendance. There is a lot to like with him as he moves his feet well on the drop step while also using his long arms to keep the defender out of his body. Though he could move inside to guard, he has the skillset to remain at tackle for sure.

Marvin Wilson, DT, Houston Episcopal (2017) 
Though the big 6-foot-4, 300-pound rising sophomore is young, he was a force on Friday evening. He needs to redistribute his weight a bit but he played with good leverage and is very strong for a younger player. Though no schools have made early offers just yet, expect him to be a top national recruit when all is said and done.

Honorable Mention: Kai Locksley, QB, Baltimore (Md.) Gilman; Zach Gentry, QB, Albuquerque (N.M.) Eldorado; Shane Buechele, QB, Arlington Lamar (2016); Kirk Johnson, RB, San Jose (Calif.) Valley Christian; Courtney Lark, WR, Houston Bellaire (2016); Mitchell Watanabe, OL, San Antonio Brennan (2016); Charles Omenihu, DE, Rowlett; Ed Oliver, DT, Spring Westfield; Kevion Ramsey, S, Converse Judson; DeShon Elliott, S, Rockwall-Heath

Good info, echeese.  Obviously, I am not on staff, but my understanding is that is OK to share information if it is properly attributed.  Mods can correct me if I am wrong.  If they don't like it, next time they have something worth sharing, I guess you will have to send it to all of us by PM!  ;)  Seriously, though, If it were me, I would attribute who wrote it, too.