Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire - 7/18

• Administrators

med_gallery_3435_2_50533.jpg

As discussed in previous editions, FOB is on vacation, so we didn’t talk this week.  I did however get a chance to speak another source this week. Here’s what they had to say:..

Darrell, it has been a whirlwind these last two weeks since Cigarroa tried to fire Powers.  Everyone is minding their P’s & Q’s and is hesitant to voice their opinion on anything. Nobody wants to be caught on the wrong side of the fence. 

People that thought Coach Brown should have been replaced are the enemy in some people’s eyes. Personally, I loved Mack and we had a very good relationship. But I, like many others, recognized that Mack was not as involved at Texas as many other Division 1 coaches are in their own programs. I really believe that Mack was under the impression that he could sprinkle some type of magic dust and all would be “fixed”. 

When the team did not achieve the desired results, you could see Mack’s stress level rise. Honestly, you could feel the tension between Mack and his staff.  Major shared some of that with us when he stated he was calling the plays his boss wanted him to call.

I feel for Steve Patterson and I feel for Charlie Strong.  There are those on campus, and that includes the BOR & BMD’s, that will not lift a finger to help either one of those men.

I think it’s important to remember that  Mack had Coach Royal to mentor him – there is no better way to learn what is and isn’t important in the state of Texas. Charlie has not been given *any* guidance or assistance. If anything, Coach Strong has a few people working against him instead of a mentor like Coach Royal.

I have seen my share of football coaches come and go and I have not seen this kind of discord since Akers or Mackovic took the helm.  I hope the next Chancellor and President are able to do their job without being beholden to politics. 

McPhaul:  Will you give me your opinion on Joe Jamail?

Jamail and his circle of friends are a very tight knit group.  However, Mack, Deloss and Powers were in that very tight circle.  Behind closed doors, Jamail has threatened many things including withholding donations.   

McPhaul:  Is McCraven the leader for the Chancellor position?

The university certainly has his attention but, it’s too early to say there is a favorite. 

Part II

I also had a chance to speak to somebody connected to the Athletics Department about Vince Young and his new role….

Source:  I had the opportunity to speak with Vince Young this week and Vince could not be more excited to start his career at Texas.

Vince mentioned to me how cool he thinks Steve Patterson is .  Take that how you will?  Vince also mentioned that he is not sure how or what duties he is going to perform but, Coach Strong will have some level of input in it. Vince also mentioned that he believes that Coach Strong will be every bit successful as Coach Brown if not more so when it comes to recruiting.

Source: Naturally, I asked him why he thought that.

Young’s reply, “The dude is real. There is no manufactured speech.”

Source: I immediately pointed out that Young was basically implying that Coach Brown had manufactured speeches.

Young’s reply, “I’m not implying anything.  They are two different dudes.  Coach Strong is involved in *everything*.

Source: Next I asked VY why he thought Coach Strong is going to be successful.

His reply, “When I played, it was a player led team.  We had a lot of vocal leaders on that team, but since then the team has not had as many vocal leaders that the whole respected.  When that happens, you need to have a coach that leads the program. Make no mistake, Coach Strong is the leader of the program and treats everyone the same.  This should alleviate any leadership drop off when the seniors graduate.“

Mack is being petty, as are the BMD's. 

They are throwing adult temper tantrums.  Daddy once told me that when in an intimidating atmosphere to remember, everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time.  When thinking of adult temper tantrums, I imagine them, on the floor, kicking, screaming, and pounding their fists.  It puts it in perspective.

Pouting is very counterproductive, and I simply can't tolerate it.  Therefore, I don't acknowledge it.

When Charlie wins, it will be on his own merits, and those BMD's will come around sucking up.  I hope he smiles politely, but never really lets them 'in'.  He can be warm, gracious, and allow them to be a part of the program - at an arm's length.  They don't have to be part of his inner circle.  As long as they are invited to the appropriate functions, they will never know the difference.

Do y'all remember the advice that Royal gave Brown after the loss to UCLA?  He said, "The circle just got smaller."  That's what I'm referring to with Charlies' initial reception on the 40 acres.  Mack is a fraud, and the rest are entitled asses.  Win, make nice, and forget them.

IMO, the below is a very big deal.

“When I played, it was a player led team.  We had a lot of vocal leaders on that team, but since then the team has not had as many vocal leaders that the whole respected.  When that happens, you need to have a coach that leads the program. Make no mistake, Coach Strong is the leader of the program and treats everyone the same.  This should alleviate any leadership drop off when the seniors graduate.“

dobbs, I don't think there is any question that diggs is a leader, and I don't know about M. Brown.  My guess is that on defense, P. Jenkins and M. Brown, II can easily be leaders, Ced, as well.  J. Gray and Ship on offense, if they are vocal.

I think Vince's point, though, is that Charlie is The leader on the team, without question, and the guys are fine with it.  Need a coach on the field, fine, turn to one of those guys, but Charlie is the unquestioned leader.!.!!

That was probably why Royal's teams were always so consistent:  he was the unquestioned leader.  I knew quite a few of the guys on his teams, and not all of them liked him, but to a man, they respected him.  The same cannot be said for Akers.  

Hook 'em! 

dobbs, I don't think there is any question that diggs is a leader, and I don't know about M. Brown.  My guess is that on defense, P. Jenkins and M. Brown, II can easily be leaders, Ced, as well.  J. Gray and Ship on offense, if they are vocal.

I think Vince's point, though, is that Charlie is The leader on the team, without question, and the guys are fine with it.  Need a coach on the field, fine, turn to one of those guys, but Charlie is the unquestioned leader.!.!!

That was probably why Royal's teams were always so consistent:  he was the unquestioned leader.  I knew quite a few of the guys on his teams, and not all of them liked him, but to a man, they respected him.  The same cannot be said for Akers.  

Hook 'em! 

Pretty spot on.  Royal was the unquestioned leader although his best teams had a tough as nails QB understand that as the most important person on team, they had to lead his team whether they liked it or not.  Not sure young Mr. Ash gets that part.

As for Akers (I mean "hey-diddle-diddle-let's-run-up-the-middle") he was a Yutz and while he didn't lead the "Long Knives" to stab DKR in the back, he didn't do anything to stop it and Coach Royal never forgot that.  It's also why Frank Broyles still won't give Akers the time of day.

Hook'em!