Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Under the lights Thread

Throthefade

So are we going to get any commitments from this?

Not sure that's how Strong works. From what I've read, Strong isn't the type of coach that's going to put pressure on players to commit. It sounds like we are good position now with Locksley, Lampkin and Urquidez though. If a commitment happens I don't think it's going to be until after the weekend once players individually meet with the coaches like Urquidez today. 

I'm more interested in who we might offer from the camp. Really interested to see if we offer Humphrey, younger Boyd, and Warren. 

Per 247 4 star OT JP Urquidez is down to two schools, Baylor and Texas. He's heading back to Austin today to talk with Strong and the staff. [/size]

per 247 -- "I'm going back this morning so I can talk with them and see what their plans are for me. I want to see how I would fit into their schemes and everything. I also want to meet with coach Strong because last night I didn't get the chance. Talking with both of these coaches this morning is very important to me."

Some notes from Horns Digest --  Charlie Strong was all over the place watching and talking to these kids. He spent a great deal of time throughout the night with more than a few players, including Holton Hill, Darrion Daniels and 2016 DT Michael Williams.  Strong also spent a great deal of time with Reggie Hemphill’s mother and Kai Locksley’s father.

Team Participation?
One of the most positive things recruits talked about after the camp was how awesome it was to have so many current Longhorn players out at this event.
Not only were they at the event but they were working with every single position group throughout the entire event. They are starting to buy into what Strong is selling and that is a great sign.

QB Overload
It is very clear that the QB class for 2016 is absolutely loaded.

Gentry ... is much bigger in person than you can imagine and is every bit 6-foot-6 right now. He has a big arm, quick feet and is a student of the game.Texas fans should be very happy with the future of the QB position in Austin, Texas.

Locksley ..... no one can deny is his athletic ability. As his father, Mike Locksley told me prior to camp, “Kai has not even scratched the surface of his potential.†The relationship between Mike Locksley, Strong and Shawn Watson goes much deeper than people realize.  Coach Watson spent a ton of time with Mr. Locksley after the camp was over and Strong spent just about more time with the elder Locksley than any one person throughout the day. At this point in time I would just about be stunned to see Kai Locksley end up anywhere other than Texas.  I was just as impressed with Locksley and his arm as I was any one thing throughout the entire camp. He shows great movement in the pocket, very quick and athletic feet, quick release and was throwing the ball with great zip and velocity tonight.  Locksley has the potential to be a great player down the road in the right system and with the right coaching staff. The Locksley family does have ties to Florida State and the younger Locksley does like the Noles but look out for the Longhorns.  Relationship often times win out in the end and I do not see stronger relations than the ones between the Locksley and Strong family.

Packed sidelines
What was not to like about the camp? Things that were out of control of the coaching staff such as more than a few top kids not working out: J.W. Ketchum, Holton Hill, Ryan Newsome, Darrion Daniels and Du’Vonta Lampkin to name a few.

Most impressive overall defensive back today by far was Keivon Ramsey.  The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Ramsey showed great versatility, back pedal and is explosive with the ball is in the air. The biggest strength might be his change of direction.  He is underrated by most services but that is a mistake based off what he showed this evening. Very impressive looking defensive back. The defensive coaching staff is thrilled with the way he showed tonight.

Most impressive offensive lineman by far was Texas verbal commitment Patrick Vahe.  The No. 8 overall offensive guard in the country might need to move up some in the rankings. He was that good tonight.  He is not overly impressive as far as straight size goes, but make no mistake about it, when this kid gets his hands on you it’s over. He lost one rep the entire night and that was against Williams, who I thought was very impressive and one of the best players in attendance.

Collin Johnson was also incredibly impressive. He caught everything thrown his way and really seemed to build a strong bond with Gentry.

Most intense coach? This one is easily defensive line coach Chris Rumph.  He was REALLY getting after this group throughout the night. He is ONE intense coach and will instill a sense of toughness in this team moving forward it has lacked over the last several years.  

I loved the way DB coach Chris Vaughn and DC Vance Bedford worked with each other. They had an incredible energy about themselves and fed off each other throughout the camp and the kids picked up on this early and often and really started to get after it because of the attitude of the coaches.

Stars of tomorrow
Keep an eye on the following 2017 players because these kids will be recruited by everyone in America if they are not already.  These three players, if they continue to develop, could combine for over 90 offers before National Signing Day of their senior season.

QB Shawn Robinson, Guyer (TX)
OL Walker Little, Episcopal (TX)
DL Marvin Wilson, Episcopal (TX)

One player who handled himself with tremendous class on and off the field was DT Michael Williams.  The 2016 standout from All Saints Episcopal (TX) has a tremendous amount of upside and loved every minute of this camp. He is a player to watch out for that will be heavily recruited by Texas coaches moving forward.

Surprise of the night was defensive end Charles Omenihu.  He is long and lean and I was not expecting to see him have success against much bigger players such as OT Toby Weathersby.  Not only did Omenihu have success but he won every one on one battle I watched and I was with that group most of the night.

Most physically imposing player on the night was 2016 DT Kendell Jones.  Rising sophomores are not supposed to look like that. However, he struggled during the one on one portion. Against very good OL players he needs more than a bit of work from a technical standpoint.

Did not know
Standout defensive tackle Du’Vonta Lampkin has a grandfather that attended today’s visit. He has lived in Austin (TX) for just under 30 years. Lampkin's uncle is a diehard Texas fan.  Keeping with my tribute to grandparents I also met the grandfather of Shawn Robinson. His grandfather told me it was his dream to have Shawn go to Texas. The elder Robinson has Charlie Strong as his hero.

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

I love Captain America!  He's one of the good guys.

Hook 'em, Fozzy!

I've never gotten to meet Fozzy but his brother was in the Army in 'Stan and one of the guys who we used to send game DVDs to while deployed.. . . 

Got to meet his mom, she's a hoot. . . 

Sounds like John Humphrey is mad he didn't get an offer. The kid should have worked out at the camp if he wanted an offer. Strong doesn't put up with that nonsense. It was doubtful Humphrey was going to get an offer, not sure why he thinks an offer was going to come when he didn't work out. This is why I like Strong's recruiting style. Strong doesn't put up with this entitlement business, if you can play you will be offered.

Sounds like John Humphrey is mad he didn't get an offer. The kid should have worked out at the camp if he wanted an offer. Strong doesn't put up with that nonsense. It was doubtful Humphrey was going to get an offer, not sure why he thinks an offer was going to come when he didn't work out. This is why I like Strong's recruiting style. Strong doesn't put up with this entitlement business, if you can play you will be offered.

Think his problem is more numbers than anything else.  , Newsome he and one other guy are all solely slot types .. .heard we are only taking 1 slot WR and we are all in on Newsome. . .. . not sure working out or not mattered that much

But this is simply my view from the Cheap Seats . .. . 

Ships are going to get tight FAST. . . we likely have 14 to go (topping out at 25) and I'll wager 10 of those ships are reserved from some bad azzes. . .Jefferson's got one, Lumpkin and another DT 2 more. . .1 or 2 more OLs. . . 1-2 more LBs. . .2-3 DBs. . .1-2 Athletes (Kia) 3 WRs  I'm up to 15 ships accounted for already

Think his problem is more numbers than anything else.  , Newsome he and one other guy are all solely slot types .. .heard we are only taking 1 slot WR and we are all in on Newsome. . .. . not sure working out or not mattered that much

Ships are going to get tight FAST. . . we likely have 14 to go (topping out at 25) and I'll wager 10 of those ships are reserved from some bad azzes. . .Jefferson's got one, Lumpkin and another DT 2 more. . .1 or 2 more OLs. . . 1-2 more LBs. . .2-3 DBs. . .1-2 Athletes (Kia) 3 WRs  I'm up to 15 ships accounted for already

That's probably true. I only see Texas taking 3 WR this class to begin with and maybe only two. Texas isn't going to move on someone like Humphrey when they are in good shape with Newsome (unless for some reason Strong wants two players of similar molds). 

In our 11, are including any 2016 commits?