Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why I will never respect A&M

I overheard on the radio last night a broadcaster making fun of A&M's nonconference schedule, and it got me interested. Was it really that bad? After a little research I figured out that it was not only bad, it was pathetic. It's sad that a move to the playoffs and Slive forcing the hand of Kennedy/Childress to schedule better nonconference opponents is what it took for A&M to schedule decent opponents out of conference. Here's the breakdown. 

Only one team on A&M's non-conference schedule, throughout all of the 3 big sports, advanced past the first round in postseason play. That team was Houston in baseball that Texas routed in the super-regionals. Only 18 percent of the teams A&M played in nonconference even made the postseason across all of the big 3 sports. FYI 44 percent of Texas nonconference opponents played in the postseason. 

Football:
Rice (10-4 and got destroyed in their bowl game. With losses to North Texas and Houston)
Sam Houston State (Competes in the FCS)
SMU (Didn't go bowling)
UTEP (Didn't go bowling)

Basketball:
UTPB
Buffalo
Mississippi Valley State
Rice
Prairie View A&M
Sam Houston State
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Missouri State
SMU
Houston 
McNeese Stete
Oklahoma (The only team in non-conference they played that made the tournament, and they lost in the 1st round)
North Texas
UTPA

Baseball:
Northeastern (didn't make the tourney)
SFA (didn't make the tourney)
Sacramento State (didn't make the tourney)
Houston Baptist (didn't make the tourney)
Fresno State (didn't make the tourney)
UT Arlington (didn't make the tourney)
Texas Southern (didn't make the tourney)
LA Tech (didn't make the tourney)
UTPA (didn't make the tourney)
Columbia (made the tourney because they won the IVY League. Lost first two games in the regionals. A&M only played once)
Sam Houston State (made the tourney and A&M only played twice. Lost in the regionals)
Abilene Christain (didn't make the tourney)
Texas State (didn't make the tourney)
Rice (Rice made the tourney but lost in the regionals)
Houston (Made the tourney and lost in the super regionals to Texas). 

aggie has all of their eggs in the SEC Football basket.  Their hoops program is a joke and their baseball program is overrated.  Their non-conference CFB schedule isn't really that bad IMO, with the exception of playing FCS teams.  Ironically, aggie canceled games with USC and Oregon to schedule UCLA and Arizona State.  Very odd

But, they're aggies.   I think they're gonna struggle to go 7-5 this year with that defense.  We'll see.

Media Poll 

SEC West Order of Finish

1. Alabama 
2. Auburn 
3. LSU 
4. Ole Miss 
5. Mississippi State 
6. Texas A&M 
7. Arkansas

Wow!  That puts the Ags in their proper perspective, doesn't it?

I'm betting Arkiesaw is better than what they're projecting.

Completely agree with this. Arkansas had a horrible record last year but were in most games I watched. A few plays here and there and that record is drastically different. Arkansas is returning almost everyone too. 

• 4 weeks later...

The UT football program needs A&M to crash and burn this year for recruiting purposes.  I support Texas High School kids, but we are at a time when UT needs to regain a foothold in the state and a losing season from A&M would help UT in swaying recruits. 

UT will always have trouble recruiting vs an "Alabama" type program in the state, but a "Miss St." program is a totally different story.  Pivotal year IMO.

gWr0OW.png

Farmer is out tending his flock of sheep one day and he sees a bedraggled aggie crawling along the ground.  He approaches the poor soul and asks what's going on.  The aggie replies that he has been lost for two weeks, on the farmers cow pasture, and he is dying for a drink of water.  The farmer obliges him with water and after slacking his thirst, the aggie hems and haws around and finally asks the farmer "Sir, I am a young, healthy and sexual man and I am embarrassed to ask you a question.  But, its been two weeks and do you think you could see your way clear to allow me to have sex with one of your sheep?".  The farmer replies - well, I guess so.  The aggie then says "please promise me you won't laugh" and the farmer promises him.  The aggie then selects a sheep and commences having sex with it.  At this point the farmer breaks out into uproarious laughter at which the aggie jumps up and, with a red face, asks the farmer why he broke his promise?

The farmer replies "Well, hell, son - I didn't know you would pick the ugliest one".

True story. :P

aggie had better be ready when they play South Carolina in Columbia on 8/28!  The Ol' Ballcoach himself is taking shots at A&M and their weak OOC scheduling.  From experience, we know that when Spurrier takes aim verbally it doesn't go well for his opponents.  Ask FSU and Tennessee.

http://collegespun.com/sec/south-carolina-sec/steve-spurrier-takes-shot-at-texas-ams-recent-strength-of-schedule

19340001_2.jpg

HISTORY OF YELL LEADERS 

When A&M was an all-male military college in 1907, students often invited ladies from Texas Women’s University to take the train to College Station to attend Aggie football games. Then as now, a certain amount of tickets were set aside for guests, and these would be handed out based on seniority, so freshmen were rarely able to bring guests to the games. 

According to legend, during one football game the Aggies were being out-scored so badly that the ladies were threatening to leave the game from boredom. Therefore, the upperclassmen ordered the freshmen, or “fish,†to find a way to entertain the bored ladies. The freshmen raided a janitor’s closet and changed into the white coveralls they found there, and began leading the crowd in yells from the track in front of the stands. The freshmen got so much attention from the ladies that it was decided that only upperclassmen would be allowed to participate in this entertainment in the future. 

19340001_2.jpg

HISTORY OF YELL LEADERS 

When A&M was an all-male military college in 1907, students often invited ladies from Texas Women’s University to take the train to College Station to attend Aggie football games. Then as now, a certain amount of tickets were set aside for guests, and these would be handed out based on seniority, so freshmen were rarely able to bring guests to the games. 

According to legend, during one football game the Aggies were being out-scored so badly that the ladies were threatening to leave the game from boredom. Therefore, the upperclassmen ordered the freshmen, or “fish,†to find a way to entertain the bored ladies. The freshmen raided a janitor’s closet and changed into the white coveralls they found there, and began leading the crowd in yells from the track in front of the stands. The freshmen got so much attention from the ladies that it was decided that only upperclassmen would be allowed to participate in this entertainment in the future. 

That dog doesn't look like a collie.  It looks like a mutt - which is apropos.