Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AAS: Agent bought meals for 2 UT Football Players

Lord Vader

Two Texas football players each received a meal paid for by an agent and possibly jeopardized their NCAA eligibility, according to documents obtained by the American-Statesman through an open records request.

Texas reported the incident to the NCAA on June 6, though it wasn't clear when the violations occurred. Accepting a free meal from an agent violates the NCAA's rules regarding amateurism, as the meal is considered compensation for an athlete's talents.

The names of the players weren't disclosed in the documents.

University spokesman Nick Voinis told the Statesman on Monday that the case was "being processed through the NCAA through regular procedures." He declined to answer questions.

If our guys get anything serious for this after the NCAA let Johnny Manziel crap all over them........................

i wish UT would sue these agents for millions of dollars.  i also wish they'd make it illegal for the agent to ever represent those players again, ever.

they know its wrong, but they do it anyway.  the jeopardize the kids and the schools.  we have to find a way to make it so painful for the agent that they just won't go do it.

not sure what the answer is, but the agent needs his ass kicked.  that's certainly not to wave off the responsibility of the kids.  they know its wrong too, but most of the responsibility falls on the agent i think.

i wish UT would sue these agents for millions of dollars.  i also wish they'd make it illegal for the agent to ever represent those players again, ever.

they know its wrong, but they do it anyway.  the jeopardize the kids and the schools.  we have to find a way to make it so painful for the agent that they just won't go do it.

not sure what the answer is, but the agent needs his ass kicked.  that's certainly not to wave off the responsibility of the kids.  they know its wrong too, but most of the responsibility falls on the agent i think.

i absolutely agree with what you are espousing upon armadillo slim.  however, i also believe that if these accusations are indeed correct.. then both of those players should pay the price as per their utmost / foremost stupidity.  today's collegiate players, have been hereby warned over and over again.. against accepting freebies, no matter what may be the case.  how dare they place their hard work vs prospective careers in jeopardy upon such a profound and yet unnecessary manner.

• Administrators

Does anyone remember the name of the player from last year that had this happen? I can't recall the name or team? All I remember is that the agent paid for some type of meal at an event and the player was forced to pay back the cost to a charity. 

The only story I remember from last year was DJ Fluker and the other 4-5 SEC players that were getting benefits. Much different situation though.

The only story I remember from last year was DJ Fluker and the other 4-5 SEC players that were getting benefits. Much different situation though.

It wasn't that story. Maybe it happened two years ago. I just remember it was an agent paying for a players meal at like a gala for some sporting event, and the player was forced to pay back the cost of the meal to a charity. If I recall it occurred at this time of the year. 

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2008/09/20080915/Labor-Agents/Agency-Wants-Its-Say-After-Fast-Resolution-Of-Oregon-Suspension.aspx

Here's one precedent. This Oregon player was only suspended for a game and he was paid cash/his meal was also paid for by the agent. I know there was another incident similar to this about a year or so ago, and the player was just forced to pay a charity the cost of the meal (can't remember his name though). 

Do you really believe it takes a lot of intelligence to be an agent?

Jordan Hicks & Steve Edmonds are the two in question according to TOS. Not good.

It shouldn't. Anything stronger than missing half the opener from the NCAA is BS. This is nothing compared to the shenanigans from Johnny Football last year.

Last year the aggies decided on the half game punishment. Coach Strong should be able to do the same.

It shouldn't. Anything stronger than missing half the opener from the NCAA is BS. This is nothing compared to the shenanigans from Johnny Football last year.

Last year the aggies decided on the half game punishment. Coach Strong should be able to do the same.

Yep. The biggest suspension I've seen that's somewhat similar is a Bama player from 2010 that got 2 games. Granted, he got over 2K in impermissible benefits (the agent paid for hotels, paid for transportation, paid for meals, and gave him gifts). The two players being questioned here aren't anywhere near that extreme. Generally speaking, it looks like most players have been suspended for a game after taking small amounts of cash from agents. The example I posted here of the Oregon player getting cash and his meals paid for received a 1 game suspension. From what I've seen most of these improper benefits from agents normally end up being 1 game suspensions if they are relatively small (most of these usually involve gifts and cash too not just meals). This will be a half game suspension max, and I doubt it even goes that far since it was self-reported and just a meal.