Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

to all of the doubters of strong

been a member of this website for a while but this will be my one of my first posts.

People need to stop worry about the aggies and baylor and etc getting all of the 5 stars. Rankings don't win championships. If we are going to get high ranking players it will be on defense. We are now a defensive team.

Look at Wisconsin Stanford Oregon Boise state. How many top 10 classes do they have? If ranking won championships mack brown would of won more than 1 championship. He hasn't been here even a full year. Let him get a relationship with the players. I guarantee by the middle or end of the year we will have Malik Jefferson and kendall Sheffield committed to texas.

FYI I am on my phone so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

While I agree with the tone of your post .. . .none of the schools you mentioned has won a Natty. . .in fact a couple of them are not even considered Natty contenders ..  . .

The Natty contenders do in fact have Top 10 classes. . .. .

But I do agree that CFS isn't looking to win recruiting titles, he's looking to get players that fit his system. . . 

Face it . .. some people think they look intelligent being critical and some poster are angry CFS wasn't "their guy".   Some of the angst is valid or at least understandable. . . .much of it is simply people who do not understand the process coupled with a shut down of information.

Rome was not built in a day.... it's possible we are much better than last year and moving in the right direction even if we finish with the same 8-4 record ...I think we do better than that but how much better I don't know. 

CFS' time will come but at TEXAS. . .the bar is winning Natty's. . . . .

Rome was not built in a day.... it's possible we are much better than last year and moving in the right direction even if we finish with the same 8-4 record ...I think we do better than that but how much better I don't know. 

I firmly believe that 9-3 and maybe 10-2 is well within reach IF Ash can stay upright and healthy.

Otherwise, the offense will struggle unless Heard is a world-beater as a freshman.  Not a scenario that I wanna consider BTW.

been a member of this website for a while but this will be my one of my first posts.

People need to stop worry about the aggies and baylor and etc getting all of the 5 stars. Rankings don't win championships. If we are going to get high ranking players it will be on defense. We are now a defensive team.

Look at Wisconsin Stanford Oregon Boise state. How many top 10 classes do they have? If ranking won championships mack brown would of won more than 1 championship. He hasn't been here even a full year. Let him get a relationship with the players. I guarantee by the middle or end of the year we will have Malik Jefferson and kendall Sheffield committed to texas.

My concern wasn't that Strong was failing to get highly ranked prospects to commit. My concern was that he was failing to get players he himself had identified as players he believed he needed to run his system.

It's not that I am second guessing his evaluation of players and that I believe he should be getting players I think are better prospects. Charlie Strong is 2-14 in head to head recruiting battles against aggy. Strong identified 16 players he believed he needed to run his system and he got rejected 88% of the time. I haven't checked, but I am not sure Wisconsin, Stanford, Oregon or Boise are suffering that rejection rate in prospects they are recruiting. 

He needs to lower that 88% rejection rate in head to head battles for players he has identified as his preferred choice for the team. We can't build a winning program until the coach can recruit the players he believes needs to run his system. 

TEXAS currently has 102 offers extended per Rivals. . .102 players CFS thinks will fit in his system. . .and I'll wager there will be more offers extended.

The class will only be about 25.

So if you want to spin the negative. . .no matter what happens, we'll have a 75% rejection rate. . . .

One of the goofiest things Mack did (and I loved Mack) was he loved being able to say he go 24 of the 26 kids he offered. . . just like trying to claim 9 months before signing day that CFS has been rejected 88% of the time. . . .

I'll wager that 9 months from now. . . .our resident chicken little is spinning a very different story while CFS and I sit back and laugh at him clucking up the barnyard.

I think what all of us are waiting to see is whether Charlie, and his staff, are great evaluators.  The star ranking circus is like watching the Keystone Kops.  The rankings change from month to month - based on what mighty college has made an offer to what recruit.  I wouldn't worry too much about their so called "star" ratings.  Thats how pay sites are sold and are for recruitnik suckers willing to buy THEIR evaluations (which most have none).

Look, out of 300 recruits, it's not difficult to identify the 25 - 30 studs that are head and shoulders above the rest.  They are the ones with 40 offers each.  And, sure, the team that wins the committments from most of this group have an advantage in "talent".

But coaches, with the exception of Mack Brown, are funny.  They want the players that will fit their systems and the ones they feel they can develop to do so.  So what they do is EVALUATE - not recruit.  Big difference, IMO.

People don't realize it but DKR didn't get the bulk of the Texas studs - but he did get the ones he wanted for his system and then he DEVELOPED them.  He and his staff were, however, damn fine evaluators of talent.

So, what I think we all want to see is what Charlie does with the talent on hand, how he develops them and what he does with the talent HE evaluates and brings in.

And if it starts to be obvious, on the field, that he is doing the right thing, is there anyone on this board that doubts his future recruiting classes won't be stellar?

TEXAS currently has 102 offers extended per Rivals. . .102 players CFS thinks will fit in his system. . .and I'll wager there will be more offers extended.

So if you want to spin the negative. . .no matter what happens, we'll have a 75% rejection rate. . . .

One of the goofiest things Mack did (and I loved Mack) was he loved being able to say he go 24 of the 26 kids he offered. . . just like trying to claim 9 months before signing day that CFS has been rejected 88% of the time. . . .

I'll wager that 9 months from now. . . .our resident chicken little is spinning a very different story while CFS and I sit back and laugh at him clucking up the barnyard.

I say do not pick up the chewing gum............Hook'em

Welcome, texastanker11, as monarch would have said if he had gotten here first, "You are among friends, please post often!"  The problem with monarch is that he is off on some vacationary bachanal on some South Sea Island, so you are stuck with me as a welcoming committee!  Poor you!  ;)

My concern wasn't that Strong was failing to get highly ranked prospects to commit. My concern was that he was failing to get players he himself had identified as players he believed he needed to run his system.

It's not that I am second guessing his evaluation of players and that I believe he should be getting players I think are better prospects. Charlie Strong is 2-14 in head to head recruiting battles against aggy. Strong identified 16 players he believed he needed to run his system and he got rejected 88% of the time. I haven't checked, but I am not sure Wisconsin, Stanford, Oregon or Boise are suffering that rejection rate in prospects they are recruiting.

He needs to lower that 88% rejection rate in head to head battles for players he has identified as his preferred choice for the team. We can't build a winning program until the coach can recruit the players he believes needs to run his system.

Lol.... Duke sometimes you crack me up.... why don't you just put this in your signature so all you would have to do is say look down below.... #recycling

Welcome-Aboard.jpg

texastanker11!

much obliged as per your sentiments regarding the *****'s.  however, i think that you may be a bit smart enough to realize that it goes

a bit deeper than that.   LONGHORN NATION, comprises some very football ingrained citizenry.  football, is in our blood, our minds, heck, it even invades our dreams.

therefore, our constant fretting about prospective recruits looking towards aTm, vs baylor, vs alabama, vs oregon vs everybody else.. is actually just a crutch.

we are highly accustomed to the recruitment drill.  year in vs year out.. it's all the same.  therefore, we are really not concerned at all about the recruits.. we are concerned about the message.

we at TEXAS, simply do not like to be messed with!  we really do not care at all, should a recruit decide to attend another school elsewhere.  but what we do not want.. is to be scorned

by a recruit.. or their parents.. or their respective coaches / mentors.. you name it.  

TEXAS, is on it's way back!  we all know it.. and the recruits shall know it.  for the most part, we have been patient.  we just need to pick a course, and follow it.

ps.  you had better not be driving and being on that phone sport...  welcome again.

Reading comprehension is important to understand arguments others structure. I didn't say Charlie Strong is offering a lot of kids and having them choose to go to other schools. I said he was losing 88% of the head to head recruiting battles with aggy. I don't think it is a good sign for the program when players from Texas that Charlie Strong thinks he needs to run his system don't want to play for him.

I fully understand a lot of people find it unimportant for the University of Texas to be able to recruit well in Texas. I disagree. When UT has a coach who can recruit well in Texas, I will think the program is in better shape than it is today.

My argument is that simple. I'm not saying things won't get better. To me, results matter. I really don't care for excuses. Happy thoughts, positive thoughts, warm cookies, orange slices, puppy dogs, good luck charms and the like aren't the same as cold, hard, results. Don't tell me your job is hard, don't tell me you haven't had enough time and don't give me any of the excuses you wouldn't accept from any of the players. Show me results.

Reading comprehension is important to understand arguments others structure. I didn't say Charlie Strong is offering a lot of kids and having them choose to go to other schools. I said he was losing 88% of the head to head recruiting battles with aggy.

OK,

I get you are not bright enough to understand recruiting and must resort to insults. . . .TEXAS has made over 100 offers. . . .we can only take 25 or so. . . . have I lost you already?????     So no matter what happens, by your cherry picking logic. . . .Charlie is going to FAIL TO RECRUIT at least 75% of the kids he offers. . .. . REGARDLESS of school. . . 

OTOH, Mack liked to brag that he landed over 90% of the kids he offered. . .. again, completely meaningless. . ..recruiting is about the kid you land on the 1st Wed of Feb. . . . ..not the kids you offered or when they committed.

Thus your "head to head" stat is stupid as you are trying to imply these are the ONLY kids that fit CFS' system. . . . .now I realize using actual critical thinking is lost on you but your stat is largely MEANINGLESS. . . . 

You once speculated that I thought of you as some kind of f*cking moron. . . again your words. . . .. but you don't have to continue proving it over and over and over. . . .especially with the same pointless argument. . .

88%?   WHO CARES. . . .it's not locked in stone. . . . .

Do you understand that these are verbals?   

Do you understand CFS isn't done while aggie is almost full?

Do you understand that a few of these kids will change their minds?

Reading comprehension. ..  . . .so you open with an insult

I fully understand a lot of people find it unimportant for the University of Texas to be able to recruit well in Texas.    Then you double down with a strawman

I have to ask, did you graduate from TEXAS?

Did you study logic or philosophy?   if so did you pass?

Assuming both answers are yes, doesn't it embarrass you that you present such a poor example of a TEXAS education?   

That you cannot make a point without childish insults or offering logical fallacies such as strawman building and cherry picking. . . . it is the reason I so frequently question the critical thinking skills of my fellow posters. . . . . .

BTW, since facts seem to be your kryptonite . ..let me educate you just a tad about recruiting. . .

Using 24/7's composite rankings. . .TEXAS sits with a 89.4 ranking today. . .this is Top 10, border line top 5.based on averages not total points . . .. now I get you don't understand this but it means TEXAS is actually recruiting very well. . . .

Let's go one step further, TEXAS only has 10 commits while aggie sits at 18. . . .IOW, TEXAS will add 2.5 X more recruits while Aggie is almost done. . . aggie sits at 90.6 right now. . .better than TEXAS but not so far beyond as you try to paint. . .but then I doubt you understand much about recruiting so I'm trying to educate you. . . an uphill challenge I know. . . . 

Your confirmation bias (your blind irrational CFS hate) reminds me of an aggy bragging that while they lost the game, they lead after the 2nd quarter and won the half time show ... . . .

CFS is recruiting far better than you realize. . . sorry .. .I know that sucks for you .. . . .

PS, I do find it ironic that elsewhere you "demand excellence" (nothing wrong with that) from everyone but yourself. . ..you seem content frequently embellishing (a nice way to say lying/creating) facts, making irrational rants, acting like a Kirk Bohls starter kit and relying on logical fallacies and personal attacks to make your point. . . 

Salvation comes from within .. . .

Using 24/7's composite rankings. . .TEXAS sits with a 89.4 ranking today. . .this is Top 10, border line top 5.based on averages not total points . . .. now I get you don't understand this but it means TEXAS is actually recruiting very well. . . .

I've gotta ask because I'm not a recruitnik.

What makes 247's rankings any better than Rivals or ESPN's?  Do they use a more scientific, fact-based formula when passing out grades?  For those who do follow recruiting closely, what service is the best?

I like to form my own opinions based on HUDL and YouTube clips, but that doesn't tell a recruit's full story, either.  How tough was the competition?  What are his work habits?  Does he take his classwork seriously?

Not for nothing, but both Poona and D'Onta had to take summer school classes to qualify at UT.  That's not a good sign in my book, but I trust that CFS had fully vetted them before NSD.

What makes 247's rankings any better than Rivals or ESPN's?  Do they use a more scientific, fact-based formula when passing out grades?  For those who do follow recruiting closely, what service is the best?

I like to form my own opinions based on HUDL and YouTube clips, but that doesn't tell a recruit's full story, either.  How tough was the competition?  What are his work habits?  Does he take his classwork seriously?

Not for nothing, but both Poona and D'Onta had to take summer school classes to qualify at UT.  That's not a good sign in my book, but I trust that CFS had fully vetted them before NSD.

i'm not a recruitnik either. other than measurables like height, weight, 40-time there aren't scientific, fact-based formulas. it's opinion.

Somebody alluded to this in another thread, but think how often nfl personnel departments are wrong on the nfl draft? these are fulltime staffs that study college seniors and juniors year round. and they whiff on evals often.

now, compare that to a Rivals writer sitting in a room looking at a few highlight reels of thousands of high school seniors and juniors. sure, the VYs and the adrian petersons of the world could be identified by any idiot. beyond those types, it's a huge crapshoot.

i'm in the minority for message board guys, but getting lathered up over projecting what a 17-yr old might turn into as a 21-year old seems futile.

i'm not a recruitnik either. other than measurables like height, weight, 40-time there aren't scientific, fact-based formulas. it's opinion.

Somebody alluded to this in another thread, but think how often nfl personnel departments are wrong on the nfl draft? these are fulltime staffs that study college seniors and juniors year round. and they whiff on evals often.

now, compare that to a Rivals writer sitting in a room looking at a few highlight reels of thousands of high school seniors and juniors. sure, the VYs and the adrian petersons of the world could be identified by any idiot. beyond those types, it's a huge crapshoot.

i'm in the minority for message board guys, but getting lathered up over projecting what a 17-yr old might turn into as a 21-year old seems futile.

Agreed

Sometimes, kids are moved to other positions too.  Remember when everyone raved about how Patterson and TCU turned HS safeties into LBs and LBs into DEs?  How do the recruiting services account for that?

Louisville's DE, Marcus Smith, is another great example.  You can't measure heart.

LOL!  You have asked the salient questions.

I find the recruiting boards interesting, but that is where it ends for me.  I realize I am an old curmudgeon, but I have lived long enough to observe who are the consistantly more successful coaches and how THEY evaluate and develop the talent they bring in.  I prefer looking at coaches that are not like Saban - who has the luxury of throwing out blanket offers and then cherry picking the players he really wants. 

This is a short list and I submit a helluva a lot more accurate than recruiting services.  The proof is in the pudding, as it were.

A few of the coaches I admire for their evaluations:

Stoops

Mora

Myer

Patterson

Petersen

Briles

These are just a few and I am sure ya'll can come up with more - but you get my point.  You don't need recruiting services to determine the best players - just find out who the top evaluaters are offering and the systems they employ.

LOL!  You have asked the salient questions.

I find the recruiting boards interesting, but that is where it ends for me.  I realize I am an old curmudgeon, but I have lived long enough to observe who are the consistantly more successful coaches and how THEY evaluate and develop the talent they bring in.  I prefer looking at coaches that are not like Saban - who has the luxury of throwing out blanket offers and then cherry picking the players he really wants. 

This is a short list and I submit a helluva a lot more accurate than recruiting services.  The proof is in the pudding, as it were.

A few of the coaches I admire for their evaluations:

Stoops

Mora

Myer

Patterson

Petersen

Briles

These are just a few and I am sure ya'll can come up with more - but you get my point.  You don't need recruiting services to determine the best players - just find out who the top evaluaters are offering and the systems they employ.

Bingo! Instead of looking at the rankings of recruiting services, look at their "offers". While not foolproof, that will still give you a much better gauge of how well the kid is regarded, i.e. ranked. The best players will have the most offers from the top evaluators and schools. Duh! But then, like Doc said, they still have to be developed.

I like 24/7's best because their composite includes their own evaluations, Rivals and a couple others . .. more a consensus. . . 

But I also agree that coaches are a great source. . .the problem is. . .they tend to offer 3-5 times as many kids as they have ships so not sure carpet bombings tells you who the REALLY like. . . .

And it's a fair point. . there is no perfect system .. .look at how often the NFL screws it up and they are dealing with a far more "finished" product.

I was trying to make the point that using one single metric does not create a very accurate picture .. . . though it does lead to some serious running around like a chicken with your head cut off ..  .

CFS recruited and developed 2 players who in 3 years became 1st round NFL picks as an HC. . .as a DC he has a LONG and impressive record of kids he put in the show. . . .

Frankly today, I think he can make a BETTER case as an evaluator and developer than some of the coaches named including the stooper . .. and Mora. . .and DiAntonio. . . .he certainly isn't taking a back seat to any .. .