Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

in light of all of the negativity, how about some another view point?

Y'all-

I realize there is a bunch of negativity pertaining to our beloved Horns not just on this board but every media outlet in America.  Hell, ESPN is kicking us in the teeth.  The SEC is laughing at the fallen king. The little sisters of the poor in Baylor, TCU, & Tech are having a good chuckle at our expense.  And let's not forget the Aggies and their new-found swagger.  Throw Bill King on Sirius XM into the mix and you have a perfect storm of simply bad $hit continually being said about our program 24 X 7 right now.  And that won't stop until our boys hit the field and actually let their actions speak for themselves as opposed to some old politician that was filled with more Mackisms and "coach speak" than actual X's & O's capablilities.  Honestly, all you need to know about Mack Brown and his coaching acumen could have been learned last Summer when Mack retained Manny Diaz as DC but I digress..

That being said, this recent turn of celebrity status that the A&M program has recently achieved reminds me quite a bit of the NBA Finals with Team Style goingup against Team Substance in turn got flat-out smoked.  No one would have expected the rusty old team with no flash would defeat, let alone embarrass, King James and his ESPN endorsed Miami Heat yet they sure as Hell did.  It's one thing to have talent.  It's quite another to get that talent to pound that rock every day as Gregg Popovich likes to talk about and work cohesively as a team.  But the San Antonio Spurs did just that, as they have for every season that Gregg Popovich has been at the helm.  Road games?  Screw it, the game is played on the same size floor with the same height rims now matter where the game is being played- THAT is Popovich's mentality.  Eliminate the clutter is his mantra.  Do you know who else eliminates the clutter?  Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Nick Saban to name a few.  Do you know why?  Because everything else is just distraction.  Because eliminating clutter works!  Can anyone honestly say that Mack Brown eliminated the clutter while at UT as HC?  The dude was the antithesis of that.

Do you know who else eliminates the clutter? CHARLIE EFFIN STONG!  Is Charlie Strong the coaching wunderkind that Gregg Popovich is?  Quite frankly I don't know.  But truth be told, 18 years ago when Popovich fired Bob Hill and replaced him with himself as Head Coach of the Spurs, NO ONE knew Gregg Popovich was going to be the coach that he is today.  Matter of fact, many people thought it was a BS move to fire a Head Coach that had been without his best player (David Robinson) and promptly fire him on his star center's return.  Popovich immediately changed the softness of the franchise and the history of the San Antonio Spurs changed forever.  Does anyone realize that in the last 15 years, the small market, limited budget San Antonio Spurs have won more Championships than the University of Texas Football Program have won in over 100 years of their golden history?  Matter of fact the Spurs have won 5 TIMES as many championships.  Let that sink in for a minute.  A franchise with a small budget has SIGNIFICANTLY out performed the NY Yankees of College Football.  Enter Charlie Strong.

My San Antonio Spurs SEETHED for an entire year since losing the NBA Crown that eluded them a year earlier.  Do you not think Charlie Strong isn't seething right now himself.  No, our team won't be flashy but neither are the San Antonio Spurs.  My question to you is do you want flashy or do you want championships?  I've seen flash at the 40 Acres for quite some time now and as a Spurs' fan, I can assure you that the championships are MUCH more enjoyable than the flash. 

Hook 'em!

SG

I am all for freedom of speech, and don't like seeing discussions shut down ... but I gotta tell you, I do not see the point in getting into whizzing matches when you have long ago made your point.  SG's points are well taken.  It is interesting reading how everybody feels about the current travails of our football program... once!  I think Charlie Strong is what we need about now, and I think I am just gonna hide and watch it all unfold before my own little eyes.  I think that we shall soon find that all of this kerfuffle will soon blow away to nothing like a desert thunderstorm.

Thanks for the post...

Good one. I concur.

You saved me the rant I had brewing. +10

What the hell are you guys talking about?   You know, sometimes a few more words will go a long way towards helping you be a little bit better understood!  ;)

And furthermore, this multi-quote thing don't work worth crap!

And furthermore, do not talk to me about not using curse words!  ;)

Amd furthermore! ... Aw, hell!  Ima gonna go take a nap!  ;(

Very well written and rational post.  I only wish there were more of our fans like you.  Being negative is going to do nothing, but make it hard on Strong.  There are plenty of recruits that come to these boards.  I just wish that the more positive people would post more often.  Unfortunately, t seems like the negative posters are going the most posting, and it is the same thing over and over again.  

I came to this site because it was supposed to be different. It is not. I'll wait and see what it's like during the season, but as of now, I doubt I will stay long-term. 

What happened to disillusion you?  I love your posts - don't go.

Anyone that likes Duke Carlisle is my kind of poster.

I came to this site because it was supposed to be different. It is not. I'll wait and see what it's like during the season, but as of now, I doubt I will stay long-term. 

i was right there with you the other day and sent Cotcher a note saying 'adios'. but the powers-that-be seem intent on taking out the trash as evidenced by the banishment of one toxic poster from the latest crossfire. so i came in off the ledge (much to the delight off Hornsport-nation i'm sure). 

I just hate haters.  :angry:

oh come on dukec.. where is your "T" for toughness!  upon your avatar, you have a picture of an all time great, and you are acting as though you are thin skinned.. it just doesn't jive.  you are part of our HS family.  and you are not going anywhere.. so there you have it!

For me....I thought SG's post was good....for the most part.....but it would have been a LOT better if he could have refrained from bashing Mack Brown. It's not needed.  What we had was a post about not being negative that had some negative in it.

I understand that you feel that I bashed Mack Brown in this post however we are where we are today because of Mack Brown and his actions as head coach.  Not only did Mack Brown have a negative impact on  the development of his players but he also impeded the careers of many of the coaches on his staff due to the fact that he simply wouldn't get out of the way and let these guys coach and coach in the style that had made them successful in the past.  Harsin got the Hell out of Dodge and was fortunate to land back at home where the folks at Boise knew exactly what they were getting with Brian Harsin as HC.  Stacy Searels is now a VA Tech (certainly a step back in his career development!).  Major Applewhite is taking the year off.  Manny Diaz is at LA Tech.  Oscar Giles is now a LA Tech as well.  Well respect S&C Coach Bennie Wylie was hampered by having Jeff Madden always looking over his shoulder and never got to see the results that he had had at other programs.    Arguably the best coach our staff (Greg Robinson) is now DC at San Jose State- hardly on the same level as the University of Texas. Fortunately Bo Davis landed back at Bama where he is a known commodity.  Outside of Davis, Duane Akina is the only coach to land in a place (Stanford) that could be considered "on par" with the University of Texas.  All of these guys entrusted their careers with Mack Brown.  Most of these guys have taken major steps back in their careers.

Furthermore, Mack Brown even had an impact on our coaching search- I don't even want to get started on that front in this post!  Mack did a whole hell of a lot of good while he was Head Coach at the University of Texas but his last few years were not good.  As a matter of fact, they were an embarrassment.  Not only did Mack Brown impede the careers of kids that entrusted to him their development as athletes to play at the next level, Brown also hurt the careers of many men that entrusted their careers with him.  

We will not know until the end of this season just how far our program has fallen because of it.  That isn't bashing, that is simply fact- otherwise the guy would still be coaching our beloved Horns today.

SG