Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am very, VERY concerned

We went in a 4-year funk with a lame-duck coach (or so it seemed) the same time aggy had the most talked about player in the game. Bad timing. Charlie's a different, old school kind of coach. if his approach yields results Texas and a&m will assume their normal places in the world. if his approach doesn't, then we won't...for a while.

Too much TBD for me to wet my pants just yet....like actually playing a game before hitting the panic button.

Competitively, I'm not concerned about what's happening with CFS, his player evaluations, and recruiting YET.

I do, however, think RD is absolutely right about Bellmont's complacency and "We're Texas" arrogance.  Thus far, Patterson hasn't done much to trim the fat based on what I've seen and what's been reported.  I realize that he hasn't been on the job very long, but when are we going to see something positive on the game experience, new/upgraded facilities, marketing & publicity fronts?  All we've got to look forward to now besides CFS is potentially beer being sold at DKR.

ESPN, CBS, and aggies' spin machine have done a masterful job positioning Collie Station as hip & cool.  Mind-boggling is what it is if you've ever spent any time in Hazzard County.  We've got to do a better job presenting our story, Austin, and what makes UT the hippest, coolest, and best University in TX if not the USA!

We're TEXAS

no we don't bcherry168!  open your eyes, we have way too much at stake here.  i think the heart of this particular problem is that bellmont, has been relaxing and chilling out for far too long....

should you still fill the need to relax and chill out... please head on over to that "liquor" thread that whisenant created.

What the hell you got against good single malt scotch and ice cream?  ;)

I've never mixed the two.  Good call?  I've had bourbon on ice cream...yum!

Great call!  You should try it!  Especially good on New Year's Eve watching people try it who usually do not partake of alcoholic beverages.  To be kind, you should watch them, limit their intake, and make sure that they have a ride home. In the meantime, you will surely be entertained!  Much more enjoyment would be had, I should say, than sitting around with a bunch of old fuddie duddies, swirling, sipping, and making comments about hints of smoke, malt, peat, and having a piquance of gravel yet a subdued hint of flint.  Ice cream makes everything better!  ;)

If you really want a thrill, try adding a wee shot of Drambuie, yum!  ;)

A) you said it not me

B ) Actually the Austin TV market is about the size of the Louisville market and well behind cities like Salt Lake, Raliegh Durham, Birmingham, Greenville-Spartansberg, Columbus Oh Hartford Las Vegas or West Palm. . . .in reality it's nowhere near the largest metropolitan area (what actually matters, not city limits) in the nation without a pro team.

PS, in case anyone wonder which one of us is talking out of his backside.. . .

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

But it has little to do with the Austin market and a great deal to do with TEXAS being one of the top draws nationally and one of the most popular programs. . .

Deloss Dodds was actually quite good at that aspect of his job .. . much like Jerry Jones is a GREAT owner though lousy GM. . .

But B certainly does seem to be confirming A. . . . .again .. .not something I said. . . B)

The television market isn't the issue. Television viewers aren't paying up to sit in the suites. Television viewers aren't the reason the south end zone project is being planned. Television viewers aren't buying $60 mil in tickets to UT sports. Television viewers aren't driving revenues for concessions or giving donations which are one fourth of the total revenue of the program.

When I was talking about the population of 1.8 million, it included the corporate entities who have no other local option for live sports entertainment for marketing opportunities.

But hey, you have all the answers and in your mind Bellmont is doing a wonderful job. They are just getting schooled in marketing by a second tier program in a craphole of a location. Lol.

Competitively, I'm not concerned about what's happening with CFS, his player evaluations, and recruiting YET.

I do, however, think RD is absolutely right about Bellmont's complacency and "We're Texas" arrogance.  Thus far, Patterson hasn't done much to trim the fat based on what I've seen and what's been reported.  I realize that he hasn't been on the job very long, but when are we going to see something positive on the game experience, new/upgraded facilities, marketing & publicity fronts?  All we've got to look forward to now besides CFS is potentially beer being sold at DKR.

ESPN, CBS, and aggies' spin machine have done a masterful job positioning Collie Station as hip & cool.  Mind-boggling is what it is if you've ever spent any time in Hazzard County.  We've got to do a better job presenting our story, Austin, and what makes UT the hippest, coolest, and best University in TX if not the USA!

We're TEXAS

simply superb post jb... love it!  now this is what we are talking about!

This is correct

The best part of the ags playing LSU on Thanksgiving in Baton Rouge every other year will be able that those who choose to stay in New Orleans will be able to make new friends and even be able to catch the Bayou Classic on Saturday. Maybe the aggy band will pick up a few new moves and incorporate them into their routines in years to come.

At what point does moving to the SEC become an option? Or does it, because it seems like our fan base is getting flustered and frustrated by the rise of A&M, the popularity of the SEC, and it's growing impact but yet we think we are too good to be part of the SEC. 

And some people just think it's as simple as adding BYU? Please. 

The best part of the ags playing LSU on Thanksgiving in Baton Rouge every other year will be able that those who choose to stay in New Orleans will be able to make new friends and even be able to catch the Bayou Classic on Saturday. Maybe the aggy band will pick up a few new moves and incorporate them into their routines in years to come.

Yes!  And as Martha is wont to say, "That is a good thing!"

I think she said that from her prison kitchen ... how appropriate!

At what point does moving to the SEC become an option? Or does it, because it seems like our fan base is getting flustered and frustrated by the rise of A&M, the popularity of the SEC, and it's growing impact but yet we think we are too good to be part of the SEC. 

Pending the University of Maryland versus the Atlantic Coast Conference lawsuit's ruling.  Apparently, UMD never signed their grant of rights contract.  Yet, the ACC saw fit to withhold UMD's share of television contract revenues.

But, do you really wanna go there?  Yeah, aggie had a good 2012 but what championship did they win?  3rd & 4th in the SEC West is okay, but not anything to really brag about.  Unless you're an aggie

Moving to the SEC will never be an option for the academic side of the university. There is a deep rooted cultural issue.

When the University of Texas was established in 1858, the great universities with established reputations, great professors and great libraries were in the North. After the Civil War, many of the states where SEC schools are located were impoverished and few families had money to send their sons to college. Those that did absolutely weren't sending their sons to "Yankee" universities to be indoctrinated in "Yankee" education.

The traditional SEC schools taught a certain education that was not consistent with the beliefs of the traditionally esteemed universities in the nation. All this is the foundation of why the SEC schools are not highly respected in academic circles.

UT has long been aligned with the northern elite universities. Aggy has long been the populist land grant college. The differences in cultures have existed for well over a century.

After over a century of alignment with the elite academic institutions, after over a century of fighting for respect from those institutions, the academic side of UT will never accept the alignment of UT with SEC schools. If the President of UT Austin ever even joked about an alignment with the SEC, all hell would break out.

Moving to the SEC will never be an option for the academic side of the university. There is a deep rooted cultural issue.

When the University of Texas was established in 1858, the great universities with established reputations, great professors and great libraries were in the North. After the Civil War, many of the states where SEC schools are located were impoverished and few families had money to send their sons to college. Those that did absolutely weren't sending their sons to "Yankee" universities to be indoctrinated in "Yankee" education.

The traditional SEC schools taught a certain education that was not consistent with the beliefs of the traditionally esteemed universities in the nation. All this is the foundation of why the SEC schools are not highly respected in academic circles.

UT has long been aligned with the northern elite universities. Aggy has long been the populist land grant college. The differences in cultures have existed for well over a century.

After over a century of alignment with the elite academic institutions, after over a century of fighting for respect from those institutions, the academic side of UT will never accept the alignment of UT with SEC schools. If the President of UT Austin ever even joked about an alignment with the SEC, all hell would break out.

Well crap Duke you finally said something that I somewhat agree with...

This issue comes up again and again.  This explanation is probably as succinct an explanation as any that will ever be found for this question.  We all should probably just go ahead and file this post away somewhere so that we can refer to it in the future when somebody brings this issue up again as if nobody has ever thought of it before.  If you would all just go ahead and do that right now, it will surely give us more time to discuss more important issues, such as what kind of ice cream goes best with your most favorite single malt scotch.  After all, we should make sure that we keep our priorities in their proper order.

This issue comes up again and again. This explanation is probably as succinct an explanation as any that will ever be found for this question. We all should probably just go ahead and file this post away somewhere so that we can refer to it in the future when somebody brings this issue up again as if nobody has ever thought of it before. If you would all just go ahead and do that right now, it will surely give us more time to discuss more important issues, such as what kind of ice cream goes best with your most favorite single malt scotch. After all, we should make sure that we keep our priorities in their proper order.

I have some interesting reading for anyone who wants to read more about the development of UT and how it differs from the development of various southern universities. Anyone who thinks either UNC, NC State or Duke would ever entertain SEC membership are just as wrong as those thinking Texas would ever consider SEC membership. UVa was established with the help of Thomas Jefferson. They will never join the SEC.

With the implementation of a playoff system that guarantees talented players a big stage, conference affiliation is only important to the point it gets a player on the big stage. A 14 team conference guarantees nothing more than an 8 or 10 team conference when it comes to getting a team on the big stage.

Just be patient. Change in college football is coming.

I have some interesting reading for anyone who wants to read more about the development of UT and how it differs from the development of various southern universities. Anyone who thinks either UNC, NC State or Duke would ever entertain SEC membership are just as wrong as those thinking Texas would ever consider SEC membership. UVa was established with the help of Thomas Jefferson. They will never join the SEC.

Please share your reading source.  I may kid around so much that I may at time seem insufferable. I only mean it as humerous relief, but I very much agree with your premise.  Who we are, and who we identify with ... well, this is very important.  This is not so easy as, who do you want to play football with.

With the implementation of a playoff system that guarantees talented players a big stage, conference affiliation is only important to the point it gets a player on the big stage. A 14 team conference guarantees nothing more than an 8 or 10 team conference when it comes to getting a team on the big stage.

Just be patient. Change in college football is coming.

You are 100% correct, and posts like this make me think you do indeed see the bigger picture. Just not when it comes to CFS and the all important June recruiting rankings.

Pleas share your reading source.  I may kid around so much that I may at time seem insufferable. I only mean it as humerous relief, but I very much agree with your premise.  Who we are, and who we identify with ... well, this is very important.  This is not so easy as, who do you want to play football with.

Here is the link to a pretty good read on the development of UT and how it differs from other southern universities. It launches is a pdf. If you have any trouble accessing the link, I will try to get Aaron to post the document on the server.

https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/paper/6565/1813

The television market isn't the issue. Television viewers aren't paying up to sit in the suites. Television viewers aren't the reason the south end zone project is being planned. Television viewers aren't buying $60 mil in tickets to UT sports. Television viewers aren't driving revenues for concessions or giving donations which are one fourth of the total revenue of the program.

When I was talking about the population of 1.8 million, it included the corporate entities who have no other local option for live sports entertainment for marketing opportunities.

But hey, you have all the answers and in your mind Bellmont is doing a wonderful job. They are just getting schooled in marketing by a second tier program in a craphole of a location. Lol.

Wow. . . .

You are affirming your original assessment of yourself. . . .

It is VERY MUCH about TV markets . . . .otherwise we wouldn't be getting $15 million a year for our Tier 3 games. . . we would not be the ONLY school in the nation with it's own national sports station.

As for donations and ticket sales etc. . . .yes. . .that is very much a credit to Deloss and Mack. . . .

This is the problem with making absolute statements. . .when you are absolutely wrong. . .you have no alternative but to spin or move the goal posts. . . 

Nor does marketing any part of aggies new found "popularity". . . .it's about Johnny Jailbait, moving to the SEC and payola. . . 

Wow. . . .

You are affirming your original assessment of yourself. . . .

It is VERY MUCH about TV markets . . . .otherwise we wouldn't be getting $15 million a year for our Tier 3 games. . . we would not be the ONLY school in the nation with it's own national sports station.

As for donations and ticket sales etc. . . .yes. . .that is very much a credit to Deloss and Mack. . . .

This is the problem with making absolute statements. . .when you are absolutely wrong. . .you have no alternative but to spin or move the goal posts. . .

Nor does marketing any part of aggies new found "popularity". . . .it's about Johnny Jailbait, moving to the SEC and payola. . .

If you have any evidence the eggs are paying players, let's see it. There is not one shred of evidence they are doing that. It has become the excuse of choice for those who want to believe the problems at UT aren't real, aren't systemic and aren't substantial.

As for Texas getting paid $15 mil for our T3 rights, we aren't getting $15 mil for our T3 rights, so please, don't lecture me about making absolute statements and being absolutely wrong. We don't have "our own sports station." We entered into a licensing agreement with ESPN where they get to use the university's IP and the athletics program helps provide content for ESPN's channel that is called "LHN"." Go read the contract and come back when you have a clue what you are talking about. I feel like I am arguing with Nick Voinis - someone who doesn't understand a damned thing about the media rights of UT, and thinks everything within Bellmont is being run exceptionally well. 

Here is the link to a pretty good read on the development of UT and how it differs from other southern universities. It launches is a pdf. If you have any trouble accessing the link, I will try to get Aaron to post the document on the server.

Link doesn't work, RD.

I'm still waiting for Aaron to post your aggie stories to the server.  C'mon, Aaron!   :(

Thanks Randolf.  I will give it a read later today.  I may have read it before, but if I did I will just pretend I am senile ... and I will stand in awe in how I already knew all of this!  ;)

Link doesn't work, RD.

I'm still waiting for Aaron to post your aggie stories to the server.  C'mon, Aaron!   :(

Worked for me, J. B. My security software made me go through a long list of signing off on the fact that the Penn State College of Education is infested with scammers, scaliwags, and nere do wells, which, come to think of it, may very well be true!  If you tried to access it through your phone, your security software probably just said, "NO!"

Worked for me, J. B. My security software made me go through a long list of signing off on the fact that the Penn State College of Education is infested with scammers, scaliwags, and nere do wells, which, come to think of it, may very well be true!  If you tried to access it through your phone, your security software probably just said, "NO!"

I got a "duplicate headers received from server" error message