Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ESPN's Jay Bilas takes a shot at Texas AD, Steve Patterson

Wow...Does anybody know what Jay Bilas' "plan" is for compensating NCAA student athletes?

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/23/Colleges/Patterson.aspx

We've talked about "how unfair it is that Johnny Football can't profit from his likeness and signature" ad nauseam.  He knew the rules when he signed his Letter of Intent.  FBS teams have agreed to fund all meals, so our scholarship athletes won't go hungry (like they ever did).  The problem I see with paying NCAA athletes are threefold.

1. Cheating - Come to Alabama and you can make $20k per year signing autographs.  $50k per year if your jersey is sold in bookstores.  Who polices that?
  2. Title IX - If you're gonna pay the football players, you've gotta up the ante for the last girl on the rowing team, too.
  3. Prohibitive Costs - I can actually see many non-revenue sports being dropped altogether due to funding issues.

What am I missing here?  Maybe I need to take the same UT classes (again) that Bilas recommended for Patterson?

Jay Bilas has his head so far in the sand on this issue, and frankly comes across as a d-bag. Bilas was on Mike and Mike a few months ago and got into a heated argument with Mike Golic. Golic simply asked Bilas to lay out a feasible plan where all college athletes could be paid, and Bilas couldn't do it. When Golic tried to make an argument Bilas would just use rhetoric like "that's an ignorant argument" instead of actually making a rebuttal. Since then I've stopped listening to anything Bilas says. Bilas has a serious case of "lawyer syndrome" where he thinks he's right on everything and doesn't have to hear opposing arguments. I disagree with him to begin with, but it's not even worth getting into an argument with him because he has such a distorted/biased opinion on the subject. Bilas continues to use language like "uneducated" and "ignorant" as some type of argument for why he's right, while it's just a straw man fallacy from actually making a coherent argument. I wish someone would pull a Golic and tell him to get off his high horse. 

Wow...Does anybody know what Jay Bilas' "plan" is for compensating NCAA student athletes?

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/23/Colleges/Patterson.aspx

We've talked about "how unfair it is that Johnny Football can't profit from his likeness and signature" ad nauseam.  He knew the rules when he signed his Letter of Intent.  FBS teams have agreed to fund all meals, so our scholarship athletes won't go hungry (like they ever did).  The problem I see with paying NCAA athletes are threefold.

1. Cheating - Come to Alabama and you can make $20k per year signing autographs.  $50k per year if your jersey is sold in bookstores.  Who polices that?
  2. Title IX - If you're gonna pay the football players, you've gotta up the ante for the last girl on the rowing team, too.
  3. Prohibitive Costs - I can actually see many non-revenue sports being dropped altogether due to funding issues.

What am I missing here?  Maybe I need to take the same UT classes (again) that Bilas recommended for Patterson?

These three arguments on right on the money. The biggest problem IMO is that it kills the amateur nature of college athletics. This is something Bilas just completely ignores with his "fairness" arguments. The "fairness" arguments are absurd to begin with. Pretty sure having your entire education paid for is a "fair" return. Regardless, at the point you start paying college athletes it's no longer college athletics it's a semi-pro league. If you want to be paid, go play in the pros.

I agree with Jay Bilas and I don't have a plan to do it either. I don't care if it does away with the amateur nature of college athletics but I think it is a profession for everyone but the athlete so I hope it blows up. Just my opinion.

Agree to disagree

There's the rub.  No one has a realistic plan on how to "fix" things.  Bilas is just howling at the moon.

I agree with Jay Bilas and I don't have a plan to do it either. I don't care if it does away with the amateur nature of college athletics but I think it is a profession for everyone but the athlete so I hope it blows up. Just my opinion.

There won't be a plan to address restructuring the relationship between schools and athletes until the courts clarify a number of legal issues. Once the legal matters are clarified, the economics can be run and schools can decide their next moves.

I agree with Jay Bilas and I don't have a plan to do it either. I don't care if it does away with the amateur nature of college athletics but I think it is a profession for everyone but the athlete so I hope it blows up. Just my opinion.

I like you Sean but that don't make sense... if you love college football why would you want to destroy it without having a plan to fix it? I get you are for the athlete. ... but the athlete is nothing without the fan and the university they play for.

A question for you when does this stop.... shall the lawyers go after high schools next?

I've worked with Bilas on many occasions. IMO he is a miserable person that loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

On one particular occasion a group of us were headed to 3 Forks for dinner when Bilas walked up and said he was joining us. There were a bunch of looks on several faces as if they were trying to get out of it. Sure enough at dinner Bilas got in an argument about..... Heck if I remember, I just remember my $60 steak was a lot less enjoyable. He is a super ego amongst big egos and has to be right all the time. I don't know if he even knows how to listen to someone else. He loves to throw out he went to Duke and you didn't.

Other than him, it was a great crew.

I've worked with Bilas on many occasions. IMO he is a miserable person that loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

On one particular occasion a group of us were headed to 3 Forks for dinner when Bilas walked up and said he was joining us. There were a bunch of looks on several faces as if they were trying to get out of it. Sure enough at dinner Bilas got in an argument about..... Heck if I remember, I just remember my $60 steak was a lot less enjoyable. He is a super ego amongst big egos and has to be right all the time. I don't know if he even knows how to listen to someone else. He loves to throw out he went to Duke and you didn't.

Other than him, it was a great crew.

One day, would love to buy you dinner and hear all your cool stories.