Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Q&A with Steve Patterson

I did not see this posted elsewhere.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/23/Colleges/Patterson.aspx

Here are Patterson’s views on:

â–  Pending NCAA changes that would grant the five power leagues more autonomy: â€œIt’s a part of the everyday business right now. There’s five conferences that want to do the best they can for their student athletes and provide them with the best outcomes. There’s a bunch of other schools that are fairly atavistic in their viewpoints and want to take the rules back to 1950. That’s not going to happen. They need to let the more well-resourced conferences operate, or these five conferences need to leave. It’s that simple. We’ve waited far too long and we’ve been far too accommodating. … I think there’s a harder and harder resolve as each day goes by for the institutions in higher-profile conferences to take the necessary moves.â€

â–  The potential competitive imbalance that could result for conferences not in the power five: â€œThere’s nothing wrong with having different kinds of programs at different schools. The Ivy League does a great job. They have different kinds of athletic programs than we do and they haven’t dried up and blown away. They’re wonderful institutions and well-supported. We’re in a different position. We ought to be able to respect our differences.â€

â–  Providing additional student services, such as a cost-of-attendance stipend, longer scholarships and post-graduate health insurance: â€œWe’re self-supported at UT. I recognize that many others are not. But it’s incumbent on us to provide the kind of student services that we do. When you look at the issues raised at Northwestern, we do all of the things they’re talking about, except for one — allowing them to monetize their likeness. If you’re a baseball player and you decide after your junior year that you want to go pro, and you follow the rules, we’ll help you come back and finish. If you get hurt and you can’t play, we don’t take your scholarship away. A lot of these claims, at least as they apply at Texas, are specious. What you’ve got are a bunch of trial lawyers and agents who can’t find any more clients in the NBA or NFL. That’s what this is about.â€

â–  Whether other schools can provide similar services for athletes: â€œA lot more schools would be there if we didn’t have to keep fiddling around with the schools that don’t want to be more progressive.â€

--  more at the link --

The only thing I saw that I instantly disagreed with was using individual names/images.

This is commercial appropriation and IMO improper.

OK, so you can contract away your rights, but it still would not make it appropriate.

There should be college football video games with each program's names, colors and logos.  Everyone on this agrees, I think, as it is each school's right to license their own brand.

However, should aggy be able to profit off JFF's individual image by licensing the Johnny F'n Football Game?  

This goes too far, IMO, and should not be allowed.  He should not be able to do it either.  Neither should in this setting.

The only thing I saw that I instantly disagreed with was using individual names/images.

This is commercial appropriation and IMO improper.

OK, so you can contract away your rights, but it still would not make it appropriate.

There should be college football video games with each program's names, colors and logos.  Everyone on this agrees, I think, as it is each school's right to license their own brand.

However, should aggy be able to profit off JFF's individual image by licensing the Johnny F'n Football Game?  

This goes too far, IMO, and should not be allowed.  He should not be able to do it either.  Neither should in this setting.

Aggie has already addressed this to a small degree by only offering replica jerseys with the #12, moving forward.  Of course, if they were honest it would be #21.

Right, RD?   :lol:

Aggie has already addressed this to a small degree by only offering replica jerseys with the #12, moving forward.  Of course, if they were honest it would be #21.

Right, RD?   :lol:

And they wonder why their Johnny Foosball Game didnt sell.

It might take some work but I think I probably could, if I had to, draw a distinction between a jersey and a video game.

However, the principle involved is the same, I think.