Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can we please get rid of the Big 12 tournament

An absolute waste. Matter of fact I've come to the conclusion that it's best to lose early if you want to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. I completely agree with Augie's criticism, just get rid of it. If the Big 12 tournament continues I would honestly bench all of our good pitchers. Losing our number 2 starter in Peters might have cost us a national title this year, all for a worthless and meaningless Big 12 tournament. 

An absolute waste. Matter of fact I've come to the conclusion that it's best to lose early if you want to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. I completely agree with Augie's criticism, just get rid of it. If the Big 12 tournament continues I would honestly bench all of our good pitchers. Losing our number 2 starter in Peters might have cost us a national title this year, all for a worthless and meaningless Big 12 tournament. 

Dude you are emotional/heat of the moment. 

Would you be advocating to getting rid of the tournament if we had won it and the pitcher not get hurt?

Dude you are emotional/heat of the moment. 

Would you be advocating to getting rid of the tournament if we had won it and the pitcher not get hurt?

I would. I made several posts at OB before the Big 12 tournament even started on this subject matter. The tournament serves no purpose, other than a little revenue. It's nonsensical to play a tournament where more often than not it's best to lose. 

My argument isn't really predicated on injuries, but that certainly is an argument. That was merely an example of why I would sit our best pitchers at the Big 12 tournament (unless we had to win to get into the NCAA tournament). 

I would. I made several posts at OB before the Big 12 tournament even started on this subject matter. The tournament serves no purpose, other than a little revenue. It's nonsensical to play a tournament where more often than not it's best to lose. 

My argument isn't really predicated on injuries, but that certainly is an argument. That was merely an example of why I would sit our best pitchers at the Big 12 tournament (unless we had to win to get into the NCAA tournament). 

Doesn't the tournament help get Big 12 teams in and improve seeding for certain teams? 

Couldn't you argue without it, the conference might be hurt come tournament time?

I like conference tournaments. It gives some teams one last shot at the NCAA tournament. Granted teams that usually win the conference tournament would have been selected to the NCAA tournament if they are in a power conference. Injuries happen but Peters injury didn't cost us last night's game.

What we're saying is the Big12 Baseball Tourney only benefits the champion?

With this logic, we should probably get rid of the hoops tourney too.  Or am I missing something?

I think a key difference is that in baseball, you burn pitchers in a conference tournament.  And if you go through the losers bracket, the number probably doubles.  That hurts teams as they go into the CWS Regionals, which begin the following week. 

In basketball, while your players are playing, the sport does not rely on fresh shooters, (for lack of a better analogy.)

And utisdabomb, I was thinking about this last night; I don't think we make it as far as we did if Peters is healthy.  I know it sounds weird, but something happened to this team when Dillon went down.  Hollingsworth stepped up.  The team rallied around each other more so than they did during the season.