Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire - 6/20

• Administrators

med_gallery_3435_2_50533.jpg

McPhaul:  How is it going up there in Omaha?

FOB:  We are having a blast up here and we are not ready to come home.

McPhaul:  Have you gotten to spend some time with the team?

FOB:  We have and I can’t tell you what a great bunch of kids we have.  As a matter of fact we have been fortunate to get to meet some kids from some of the other teams too. 

McPhaul:  What do they think of the Texas fan contingent?

FOB:  They are in awe of our fans and the numbers we have brought to Omaha.  I have heard nothing but compliments from opposing teams and fans.

McPhaul:  That is good to hear. Our members may like the feel good stuff about your trip to Omaha but what they really want to hear about is the scoop on Augie…

FOB:  Darrell, I don’t know yet.  As I have shared with you, there are some personal issues going on with Augie that are going to play into the decision. I understand that you do not feel comfortable printing any of it and I don’t blame you.  I will say let’s hope we win it all this year. Augie deserves to ride off into a championship sunset.

McPhaul:  Are you implying that Texas is ready to move on?

FOB:  You know damn well what I’m implying.

McPhaul:  Augie has one more year left on his contract.  Does this have an impact on his decision?

FOB:  With what you now know, what do you think?  If he retires on his own, that makes things pretty simple. This has a chance for a Disney-style ending for everyone.

McPhaul:  Ok, let’s move on.  I see where Texas has lost another recruit to A&M in the WR Lodge.  Let me ask you, why on earth does a kid that wanted to commit to Texas not even give them a sniff with the new staff?

FOB:  As you know, Lodge and Daryl Wyatt were extremely close. In fact, Lodge would have most likely signed with Texas if Wyatt was still here.  I told you before that Mack Brown has not and will not give the new staff an endorsement and neither will the former assistant coaches. 

McPhaul:  Why on earth wouldn’t Lodge even give us the time of day?

FOB:  Look, the former staff isn’t going to lift a finger to help our new staff.  Strong was interested in Wyatt but, Wyatt didn’t want to be only considered for WR coach.  

McPhaul:  So, how long is it going to take the new staff dig themselves out of this situation?

FOB:  LOL.  You are improving my boy.

McPhaul:  What do you mean?

FOB:  Referring to this as a situation…the staff understands the handicap they are playing with this year. They are also confident that the 2016 class had not had a chance to build relationships with the former staff to the extent that the 2015 class did.

McPhaul:  Alright, let me ask you if all the arrest taking place at A&M is going to eventually going to reverse the trend?

FOB:  That depends.

McPhaul:  Depends on what?

FOB:  Depends on whether the College Station police are going to start looking the other way.  Aggie boosters are doing what they can to get these players on board.   I told you before that Sumlin is/was a really good guy before he got to A&M but, the pressure in College Station is crushing that.  It happens everywhere to some degree.

McPhaul:  Go on.

FOB:  Even at Texas, there are rumors that professors had to be persuaded to work with the program because some kids didn’t go to class. Ashton Dorsey supposedly had several strikes against him before he was dismissed from the team. Serious strikes at that. The short version is that Strong is having to clean up a bigger mess up than is seen on the surface by you or your readers. 

McPhaul:  Are you saying this is effecting recruiting?

FOB:  Most certainly.  Kids talk and the attractive country club that Texas was viewed as by the recruits is no longer an option.  You are going to go to class now, you are going to graduate, you are going to be disciplined when it comes to your workouts.  Understand, this is not the Texas that most of the recruits, players or fans have envisioned for the last 10 years.

McPhaul:  I don’t know how to take all that.

FOB:   You give it time.  Time has to pass.  Time is our ally and the football program must show progress.

McPhaul:  Let me ask you this, why are your buddies withholding their support of Strong?

FOB:  Darrell, we have had this conversation several times.  They want to see results.

McPhaul:  I understand that but, a few of them didn’t help by supporting Brown. 

FOB:  Those two are endowing over 100 million dollars to the school…a certain amount of respect is warranted.

McPhaul:  I appreciate everything.

FOB: Later.

Wow, what an appropriate and timely Cross Fire with excellent information!  It sounds like the previous staff while not sabotaging the current group, might certainly be making it very hard on/for them.  Very interesting comments from a source that sounds like he knows!

As always a great read.

Wow, what an appropriate and timely Cross Fire with excellent information! It sounds like the previous staff while not sabotaging the current group, might certainly be making it very hard on/for them. Very interesting comments from a source that sounds like he knows!

As always a great read.

I'm sure glad we created that spot on the payroll for Mack to pad his buyout. That $500,000 sure sealed the goodwill between Mack and the program. I guess his reputation and relationship with the program can be considered cast in concrete at this point.

I hope he never sets foot on campus again.

Feels like the SEC affiliation for A&M is winning out for a lot of kids as well.  Winning 8 games a year and finishing 4th in your own division apparently doesn't really matter to kids choosing the Ags which is bizarre.  The longer we are tied to the Big 12 I fear the harder things will get in recruiting.  Having current players apparently dogging our dorm food options and facilities such as the dorms and weight room etc. isn't helping either and they need to stay off twitter with that junk.

Feels like the SEC affiliation for A&M is winning out for a lot of kids as well. Winning 8 games a year and finishing 4th in your own division apparently doesn't really matter to kids choosing the Ags which is bizarre. The longer we are tied to the Big 12 I fear the harder things will get in recruiting. Having current players apparently dogging our dorm food options and facilities such as the dorms and weight room etc. isn't helping either and they need to stay off twitter with that junk.

By the time the season starts, the Aereo decision will be handed down as well as the decision in the O'Bannon case. If amateurism rules are tossed out and the conference networks crumble because bundling of channels becomes a thing of the past, there will be a whole new structure for college sports built on economic considerations and not on geographic considerations. In short, imagine a world where the SEC, Big 12, Big 10 and ACC no longer exist.

So now it's Mack Brown's fault that we can't recruit???  That is just such a crock that I can't stay silent about it.  

Has Charlie ASKED for help???  I've never heard the phantom FOB once mention that Charley Strong...or any of staff...has ever..reached out to Mack Brown or one of his staff. If the current staff isn't asking, I don't blame Mack for not wanting to come kiss ass. Personally I think the reason Mack isn't helping is because Charley Strong does not want his help. If he did, he'd ask for it.

So now it's Mack Brown's fault that we can't recruit???  That is just such a crock that I can't stay silent about it.  

Has Charlie ASKED for help???  I've never heard the phantom FOB once mention that Charley Strong...or any of staff...has ever..reached out to Mack Brown or one of his staff. If the current staff isn't asking, I don't blame Mack for not wanting to come kiss ass. Personally I think the reason Mack isn't helping is because Charley Strong does not want his help. If he did, he'd ask for it.

Agree 100%

Mack wants a clean break, Charlie is his own man.  We really shouldn't expect Mack to help us sell Strong's program or "vision".  Unrealistic expectation.  Time to move on.

My take after reading that (which I trust FOB):

1. Augie will retire if he can get to the

championship series. He will have proven those last 2 years were flukes and he will be satisfied that he got Texas where it belongs. That would make Texas baseball an even more attractive job because the cupboard won't be bare for 2015.

2. As always, don't fret about recruiting losses when Charlie Strong hasn't even coached a game at Texas. The Aggies have the momentum clearly but Strong has been on his own in the state of Texas for a while now and he has his work cut out for him. Knowing that man's work ethic and humility, he wouldn't want it any other way.

It is easy to continue to blame Mack Brown then to hold Strong and his staff accountable for their terrible recruiting efforts so far.

How long are going to blame Mack Brown? For the record based on what I have seen of the current staff recruiting Mack Brown would dominate them too.

I COMPLETELY agree! Charlie Strong was going to be the "fix" that remedied our program however with (outside of Wickline) the weak hires that Strong has made at the coordinator and assistants have done little to nothing on the recruting front. Yes I realize we have to "win" on the football field and that will translate to winning on the recruiting front. However, at this point there is not 1 thing Charlie Strong has done from a recruiting standpoint in the meantime that shows me that he can reverse the trend of losing recruits to A&M. Yes, I realize we have yet to play a single play in a football game however Mack Brown had MUCH more success recruiting at this point in his stint at Texas than Charlie Strong has had.

Furthermore, we are losing recruits to Baylor, Tech, & TCU?! REALLY! I didn't realize Charlie was trying to convince kids to come to Aimes, IA or Manhattan, KS- I thought he was trying to lure them to Austin! Consider me UNDERWHELMED so far with Charlie Strong, his ability to put together a top notch staff, & his recruiting prowess.

Winning heals all but there isn't ANYONE on this staff outside of Wickline that has shown they can win big. Shawn Watson as OC, err, I mean QB Coach? REALLY?! Vance Bedford at DC? This 54 year old guy calls out a 21 year old on Twitter? Yeah, I can see right away that he's a real Kirby Smart at the DC position!

All I can say is for is Charlie better win and sooner than later or both he and Patterson will be out on the collective asses together.

SG

Strong seems to be focused on building the right foundation while Sumlin is focused on glitz and show. The foundation of Sumlin's program is as nonexistent as the glitz and show of Strong's program. Sumlin understands he is in the entertainment business. No one expects aggy to win. Not losing is enough for them. Strong understands he has to deliver consistent results. He is getting paid to win. Anything else is unacceptable. Two different objectives, two different programs.

Sumlin is exceeding expectations by delivering what the ags want - 1-6 conference record against ranked teams, seventh place conference finish, a chicken sandwich bowl berth and back to back bowl wins for the first time in almost a century. Charlie Strong is one eighth the way through his contact and hasn't delivered anything of significance. It is time for Charlie Strong to start reminding us why he was the right guy for the job. It all starts to get serious in about six weeks.

Strong seems to be focused on building the right foundation while Sumlin is focused on glitz and show. The foundation of Sumlin's program is as nonexistent as the glitz and show of Strong's program. Sumlin understands he is in the entertainment business. No one expects aggy to win. Not losing is enough for them. Strong understands he has to deliver consistent results. He is getting paid to win. Anything else is unacceptable. Two different objectives, two different programs.

Sumlin is exceeding expectations by delivering what the ags want - 1-6 conference record against ranked teams, seventh place conference finish, a chicken sandwich bowl berth and back to back bowl wins for the first time in almost a century. Charlie Strong is one eighth the way through his contact and hasn't delivered anything of significance. It is time for Charlie Strong to start reminding us why he was the right guy for the job. It all starts to get serious in about six weeks.

I understand the arguments for Charlie Strong.  I also understand that there isn't much buzz being created amongst potential recruits, fans, alumni, & donors by Strong and his staff to date.  Could that change with a successful season?  ABSOLUTELY!  But for now Charlie Strong has the keys to a 911 S and he is acting as if he is rolling around in a Chevy Mailbu.  Perhaps that works at schools like Louisville when you get the recruiting leftovers.  But at a place like Texas, his Spartan approach has put us on par with Tech & TCU from a recruiting standpoint.  Notice I did NOT mention A&M or even Baylor in that sentence.  When you have top recruits in the State of Texas snubbing even visiting the campus even with a brand new coach who is African American, well then you got a HUGE problem.

The only thing that will cure the problem is winning.  And when I say winning, I don't mean going to some Tier 2 or Tier 3 Chicken $hit Bowl.  I mean winning BIG!  And I don't know the guy has the staff to do so.  Apparently the recruits agree,

SG 

The hyperbole from some is pretty silly but it's the offseason and people are bored. . . .

I for one am going to allow CFS to at least reach his 1st National signing day and play his 1st full season .. . . 

But for the record, we have 10 2015 commits today, they average 3.22 stars. . . TCU has 16 recruits and is at 2.87. . .pretty big gap   Baylor has 11 recruits and is at a 3.2 ranking    Aggie has 17 and a 3.53 ranking so I do not dispute they are ahead of us. . .today. . . . OU is at 7 recruits and a 3.5 ranking. . .doing well

Of course we all know that if you don't win recruiting trophies in Feb. . .well you just aren't going to win .. . 

But I look at CFS' results in putting two of his UL players into the 1st round of the NFL draft. .  .2 players who were the types of lowly 3 star recruits the chicken little crowd is naysaying about.

As to the supposed lack of BUZZ?     Tony Weathersby went from OU commit to TEXAS commit. . . Burt, top WR in the country is listing TEXAS #1. . .OOS kid btw. . . . .Makil Jefferson went from TEXAS not being on his list to having us tied with aggie today. . . Bama target  4 star Zack Gentry. . . leading the 2015 class so far .. . .

As to the claim that Mack is somehow trying to undermine CFS .. . . . ..frankly. . .does not sound like Mack. . . .and while I like Darrell. . . .let's face it .. . he was afflicted with some serious Anti Mack Butt Hurt hate. . . . not saying I don't trust the story .. .more I like think there is more to the story .. . . 

But again, offseason fodder to pass the time. . . . 

Darrell. . . .let's face it .. . he was afflicted with some serious Anti Mack Butt Hurt hate. . . . not saying I don't trust the story .. .more I like think there is more to the story .. . . 

This is an interesting statement.  Do you have any proof of this that you would care to elaborate on?

Darrell. . . .let's face it .. . he was afflicted with some serious Anti Mack Butt Hurt hate. . . . not saying I don't trust the story .. .more I like think there is more to the story .. . . 

This is an interesting statement.  Do you have any proof of this that you would care to elaborate on?

If I had the time or inclination to dredge up hundreds of DM's posts over the past 24 months, the pattern would be obvious. . .

proof?   No

But certainly an opinion that I doubt even DM disputes. .. ..

If I had the time or inclination to dredge up hundreds of DM's posts over the past 24 months, the pattern would be obvious. . .

proof?   No

But certainly an opinion that I doubt even DM disputes. .. ..

No, seriously, this is the first I have ever heard of this, and I read these boards pretty often.  I will admit to not being a member of OB, so I have not read what Darrell has written over there.  Other than that, what "hundreds" of posts has he made to cause you to acquire this opinion?  Just quote a couple - that would be enough.

I just find this story to be very interesting and indicates there was coaching unrest with Mack.

I have no doubt Darrell will admit to his bias. . . .and as I have pointed out about many insiders. . . 

When you tell a story, you can dramatically change what was said by only reporting the parts that fit your agenda .. ..I caught several of the "notable" "insiders" doing just that when I was given access to some of the behind the scenes reality of the Saban discussions. . .as well as the events behind Harsin's departure . . . .I never claimed to be an "insider" but I have stumbled upon information. . .. 

It was interesting to see posters like utx and others. . . .only share the info which fit their very clear biases. . . .even funnier was watching those seriously afflicted with cognitive dissonance lap up the stories like they were coming from burning bushes. . .

Sadly, OB does not archive it's posts. . . so I cannot give you quotes. . . . nor is there a search feature here (or at least I can't find it) .. .  .