Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lodge to A&M

Lord Vader

Damn, give the man a chance to coach a game or 3 before crucifying him!  Strong's recruiting has not been exceptional, but it is no worse than Mack Brown did over the last 3-4 years. Mack got the 4 & 5 star players, but many of them did not fit the offense Texas was running.  How many times over the last 5-6 years have you heard people bitching that Texas has not been developing the talent they had?  Strong had 2 & 3 star talent for the most part at Louisville, and they would have kicked the shit out of Texas last year.  Coach Strong wasn't my first choice as the HC at Texas, but he deserves at least a full season to show what he can do.  My guess is Texas will be a much better team than they were last year or the start of this year.

Its just getting old that the head coach at the University of Texas seems to be getting laughed at by an endless stream of 17 year olds and is appearing totally inept at recruiting. $5 mil/year isn't supposed to deliver a coach who can't recruit and who people are already starting to make excuses for. And the best people have to offer is that we only have to write off his first two recruiting classes because by 2016, he should have his act together. This should not have to have been our first choice in the direction the program should go. 

Like I said earlier, I understand why no offensive talent other than linemen want to play for Texas until the Shawn Watson experiment gets exposed and we get a coordinator, but I just can't understand why Charlie Strong can't recruit defensive talent and Kevin Sumlin can. 

And I get that Strong coached up lesser players at Louisville, but he coached up players to beat U of H, UConn, Eastern Kentucky and Memphis. They aren't on our schedule. We don't need a coach at Texas to build a team capable of beating Memphis. 

I'm just tired of the excuses needed to explain why the head coach at Texas keeps falling short of expectations.

well, with all due respect to all concerned here, put me down on the side that i like what i see so far and really want to wait and give the guy a fair shot.  and not just a one year shot either.

that said, the whole college sports world could be turned on its ear here very shortly, by the various things going on (o'bannon, realignment, the TV suit, etc) so its very hard to tell what is going to happen going forward with college sports.  a sea change is in store, and probably very quickly.  the status quo ain't gonna be the status quo much longer and my crystal ball is so cloudy right now i have no idea what's going to happen.

i realize its just an old farts lament, but i'm really glad i'm old enough to be able to remember games on the radio, games of the week, kern tips, amateur sports when they were still played by amateurs and all the rest.  The TV age gave us a lot of advantages, but honestly, i think i was happier when i went to sleep at night listening to a longhorn game on my transistor radio while i pretended to be asleep.

Good points here by all. I do believe everyone here wants UT to win & want what is best for our beloved university. However I think were the divide occurs is some of us expect results now with no excuses while others are willing to give it time due to perceived issues of the current state of the situation. 

Good points here by all. I do believe everyone here wants UT to win & want what is best for our beloved university. However I think were the divide occurs is some of us expect results now with no excuses while others are willing to give it time due to perceived issues of the current state of the situation. 

that's the crux of the disagreement i have with your arguments. there ARE no measurable results to judge at this point. The first game is 2 1/2 months away. signing day is 8 months away and recruits have been known to change their mind.

and 'give it time'...as opposed to what? fire him now because non-binding commitments aren't going your way?

Its just getting old that the head coach at the University of Texas seems to be getting laughed at by an endless stream of 17 year olds and is appearing totally inept at recruiting. $5 mil/year isn't supposed to deliver a coach who can't recruit and who people are already starting to make excuses for. And the best people have to offer is that we only have to write off his first two recruiting classes because by 2016, he should have his act together. This should not have to have been our first choice in the direction the program should go. 

Like I said earlier, I understand why no offensive talent other than linemen want to play for Texas until the Shawn Watson experiment gets exposed and we get a coordinator, but I just can't understand why Charlie Strong can't recruit defensive talent and Kevin Sumlin can. 

And I get that Strong coached up lesser players at Louisville, but he coached up players to beat U of H, UConn, Eastern Kentucky and Memphis. They aren't on our schedule. We don't need a coach at Texas to build a team capable of beating Memphis. 

I'm just tired of the excuses needed to explain why the head coach at Texas keeps falling short of expectations.

I am getting even more tired of posts like this. You keep acting like you have the ear of all these 17 year olds who are running around trashing Charlie Strong and then giggling about how great Kevin Sumlin is. I'm sorry, but it just isn't accurate. If you want to complain about the false perception that a$m is the "IT" school in Texas, then I am right there with you. I hate losing recruits to aggy as much as anyone, but the fact is, many of us saw this coming like a freight train 2 years ago, when it was painfully clear Mack had to go (had we made the move when we should have, Charlie Strong would have been the likely choice then as well). Why is any of this so surprising to you? a$m caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel winning the Heisman, and they are trading on that hype. It is nothing more than that, and these kids are buying into Sumlin right now, despite his mediocre coaching record on the field. When aggy underachieves yet again, the trend will start to turn. 

There are still many talented recruits left on the board, and many of them look like they will wait this out and see what a difference Charlie Strong will make for Texas Football this season. This is still the biggest brand in College Sports and it is still the flagship program in the state. I have read many, many glowing reports from recruits in regards to Strong, his recruiting prowess,  The Program, and even your personal whipping boy, Shawn Watson. Numerous top QBs are very impressed with him, and for good reason. Acting like he is an albatross at this point is just ridiculous, and has zero basis in fact.

Charlie Strong is a good recruiter, has put together a great staff, and is working tirelessly to fix the massive pile of issues he inherited, starting with accountability and toughness. The only thing we need to be concerned with is how we perform this season. The rest will take care of itself. 

well, with all due respect to all concerned here, put me down on the side that i like what i see so far and really want to wait and give the guy a fair shot. and not just a one year shot either.

that said, the whole college sports world could be turned on its ear here very shortly, by the various things going on (o'bannon, realignment, the TV suit, etc) so its very hard to tell what is going to happen going forward with college sports. a sea change is in store, and probably very quickly. the status quo ain't gonna be the status quo much longer and my crystal ball is so cloudy right now i have no idea what's going to happen.

i realize its just an old farts lament, but i'm really glad i'm old enough to be able to remember games on the radio, games of the week, kern tips, amateur sports when they were still played by amateurs and all the rest. The TV age gave us a lot of advantages, but honestly, i think i was happier when i went to sleep at night listening to a longhorn game on my transistor radio while i pretended to be asleep.

I will be shocked if the Big 12, Pac, SEC, etc exist 5 years from now. With the death of amateurism and the demise of bundled cable, the economic interests of the broadcasters and the universities are going to be so changed, both sides are going to need to restructure college football along economic considerations instead of along geographic considerations. Scotusblog is expecting the Aereo division by the end of next week. They think it might come out tomorrow. If the court allows the technology is allowed, SECN could be dead before it even goes live. If that happens, Bama, Flat, etc are going to want to monetize their T3 rights. That ain't happening under their current conference structure.

I am getting even more tired of posts like this. You keep acting like you have the ear of all these 17 year olds who are running around trashing Charlie Strong and then giggling about how great Kevin Sumlin is. I'm sorry, but it just isn't accurate. If you want to complain about the false perception that a$m is the "IT" school in Texas, then I am right there with you. I hate losing recruits to aggy as much as anyone, but the fact is, many of us saw this coming like a freight train 2 years ago, when it was painfully clear Mack had to go (had we made the move when we should have, Charlie Strong would have been the likely choice then as well). Why is any of this so surprising to you? a$m caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel winning the Heisman, and they are trading on that hype. It is nothing more than that, and these kids are buying into Sumlin right now, despite his mediocre coaching record on the field. When aggy underachieves yet again, the trend will start to turn.

There are still many talented recruits left on the board, and many of them look like they will wait this out and see what a difference Charlie Strong will make for Texas Football this season. This is still the biggest brand in College Sports and it is still the flagship program in the state. I have read many, many glowing reports from recruits in regards to Strong, his recruiting prowess, The Program, and even your personal whipping boy, Shawn Watson. Numerous top QBs are very impressed with him, and for good reason. Acting like he is an albatross at this point is just ridiculous, and has zero basis in fact.

Charlie Strong is a good recruiter, has put together a great staff, and is working tirelessly to fix the massive pile of issues he inherited, starting with accountability and toughness. The only thing we need to be concerned with is how we perform this season. The rest will take care of itself.

Wide receivers, tight ends are not buying in to what is being sold. We need linebackers and defensive backs. Blaming the poor recruiting on Mack is a stretch, because Charlie's vision is what they aren't buying. We have no choice but to brace and deal with the upcoming season, but as of today, there is Zero evidence Charlie Strong can recruit at this level in this part if the country.

So far the individuals tasked with judging his performance are resoundingly giving him failing grades. That has to be a huge warning signal. He simply isn't connecting with recruits. It isn't as if he is unknown in Texas. Recruits know full well what he did at Louisville and they are resoundingly unimpressed. How is that not a sign he is not succeeding. If he can't impress the players he thinks he needs to run his system, he can't run his system. I beginning to get concerned whether he can even hold the 2015 class together or if he will get hit with a wave of decommits. 

They saw what he did at Louisville and are resoundingly unimpressed.

But they saw what Sumlin did at Houston and were impressed?

I'm thinking we're far better off with athletes who aren't so retarded as to think this way?

I'm thinking we're far better off with athletes who aren't so retarded as to think this way?

This made me laugh. .. thanks

Sumlin isn't recruiting based on what he did at U of H. Sumlin has been at aggy for two years now.

It isn't about what any recruit saw as much as whether they believe in the coach's vision for the program and whether they think the coach can develop their talents to give them the opportunity to reach their individual goals. Sumlin is getting it done and Charlie Strong is evidently waiting for the last year of his contract in 2017 when he has had time to coach up his spectacular 2016 class. 

How did the University of Texas settle on a coach who was incapable of recruiting the state of Texas?

Sumlin isn't recruiting based on what he did at U of H. Sumlin has been at aggy for two years now.

It isn't about what any recruit saw as much as whether they believe in the coach's vision for the program and whether they think the coach can develop their talents to give them the opportunity to reach their individual goals. Sumlin is getting it done and Charlie Strong is evidently waiting for the last year of his contract in 2017 when he has had time to coach up his spectacular 2016 class. 

How did the University of Texas settle on a coach who was incapable of recruiting the state of Texas?

So in other words, in two years Strong will be where Sumlin is now or perhaps better?

I base this solely on the fact that LV's results under Strong were more impressive than Houston's results under Sumlin.

How did athletes get any idea whatsoever that Sumlin could develop them during his time at Houston? He barely made any noise there.

I think you're in some sort of pointless panic mode. So far, I'm not buying what you're selling. Instead, I'm wondering why you're sticking your neck out so far on such a brittle little limb. Much of what you're referring to is just hype without substance. Substance always wins in the end. Hype gets exposed.

You talk up Sumlin's ability to recruit defensive stars. I counter with why is their defense the lousiest around? Is that developing talent? I don't think so.

now you're just trying too hard. 

So in other words, in two years Strong will be where Sumlin is now or perhaps better?

I base this solely on the fact that LV's results under Strong were more impressive than Houston's results under Sumlin.

How did athletes get any idea whatsoever that Sumlin could develop them during his time at Houston? He barely made any noise there.

I think you're in some sort of pointless panic mode. So far, I'm not buying what you're selling. Instead, I'm wondering why you're sticking your neck out so far on such a brittle little limb. Much of what you're referring to is just hype without substance. Substance always wins in the end. Hype gets exposed.

You talk up Sumlin's ability to recruit defensive stars. I counter with why is their defense the lousiest around? Is that developing talent? I don't think so.

Yes aggiy defense has sucked and Louisville had a highly ranked defense yet every top defensive recruit in Texas is choosing aggy. It is crazy but it is realty. 

Wide receivers, tight ends are not buying in to what is being sold. We need linebackers and defensive backs. Blaming the poor recruiting on Mack is a stretch, because Charlie's vision is what they aren't buying. We have no choice but to brace and deal with the upcoming season, but as of today, there is Zero evidence Charlie Strong can recruit at this level in this part if the country.

Again, you are just pulling suppositions out of thin air. Everything you are stating as fact goes against everything else I am hearing and reading about Strong and his recruiting. The only facts you have to base anything on are the recruits committing to Sumlin. Texas is in the mix for highly ranked recruits at every position you mention, including multiple 5-stars. If Texas were to sign Sheffield, Jefferson, and Burt for instance, they'd be ranked just as high in the "rankings" as the coveted aggies. And all those players are possibilities. As is a flip or 2, which will no doubt occur if the season plays out as I expect.

Every argument you have made has unquestionably been made to the recruits and Strong has been rejected every single time when top instate recruits were at stake. Every single time.  

I have said a number of times, I can understand why top recruits don't want anything to do with Shawn Watson, but it makes no sense that Sumlin is kicking the snot out of Charlie Strong on the defensive side of the ball. Strong's failure to recruit at what should be his strength is what is leading me to believe he simply can't articulate a vision for the program to the recruits. When defensive players tell Strong "no thanks, I will take my chances with Kevin Sumlin" you have a HUGE problem and that is what I think we have.

Sumlin recruited lights out within six weeks of signing with aggy. Mind you, one third of the players he recruited are gone, mostly for character issues, but he recruited well in his first year, brought energy to the program, delivered a Heisman and put a withering aggy program in a recruiting position that it is kicking the crap out of every coach in Texas. In Strong's first six months, he has delivered a message that we need to set our expectations low and that we won't be able to recruit much for at least a year. So far, I think we hired the wrong guy. 

Louisville's results under Strong were FAR more impressive than Sumlin's under Sumlin, yet Sumlin showed he can articulate a vision to recruits and Strong has shown even with his accomplishments at Louisville, players think they have a much better chance if they go aggy. Why? There has to be something about Strong that makes him incapable of convincing young recruits at the highest level. 

Yes aggiy defense has sucked and Louisville had a highly ranked defense yet every top defensive recruit in Texas is choosing aggy. It is crazy but it is realty. 

That brings us to two things:

1. They go to aggy where defense goes to die.

2. Strong will field a great defense with non-stars.

I'm not sure I understand the concern here. 

What part of "Heisman Trophy," "Johnny Football," "SEC!," and "3 first round draft picks" do you not understand? Aggy recruiting has ZERO to do with their on field performance and everything to do with the hype they are trading on right now. It will end as soon as they start losing games this year. 

Swallow the bitter pill already and realize that there is hope. Or don't. Just stop perpetuating the aggy myth.

That brings us to two things:

1. They go to aggy where defense goes to die.

2. Strong will field a great defense with non-stars.

I'm not sure I understand the concern here.

I simply do not understand why these recruits would rather take their chances with Sumlin than Strong unless they are dumb as bricks and need Sumlin's online no classroom structure or unless they really like smoking weed and don't want to have to deal with being drug tested.

As for Strong's defense, I will say we will probably have a team that can give Memphis or Eastern Kentucky a good thrashing. The concern here is that we aren't playing Memphis or Eastern Kentucky.

Did I wake up on Orangebloods today?  Duke, to bad our AD did not pick up his phone and call You before he hired a Head Coach. You could have saved so much trouble by getting him to hire Sumlin. Good thing you were not around in December 1941. You could have had Roosevelt just go ahead and join Toto and Hitlers side.