Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone played Bethpage Black?

Going to NYC during BYU weekend for my annual US Open trip with friends. Thinking about making it a sports weekend.

How hard is it to get onto Bethpage Black?  I hear you have to camp out the night before for a tee time.  Only NY residents can make tee times 7 days in advance.  Any NY residents up for a round?  Green fees on me if you can secure a tee time.

Slowly crossing my off golf course bucket list.

No, but my father grew up not far from Bethpage in Farmingdale, NY.

I visited Bethpage State Park one summer - didn't play.  It actually has five courses, each with Tee #1 adjacent to the clubhouse.  My dad says many people would be watching from the balcony on weekend mornings after having spent the night drinking and playing cards in the parking lot.  What a high-pressure first tee shot!

Going to NYC during BYU weekend for my annual US Open trip with friends. Thinking about making it a sports weekend.

How hard is it to get onto Bethpage Black?  I hear you have to camp out the night before for a tee time.  Only NY residents can make tee times 7 days in advance.  Any NY residents up for a round?  Green fees on me if you can secure a tee time.

You mean the course that brings the pros to their knees? Why would you want to subject yourself to that kind of torture on what sounds like an otherwise fun weekend?

Played it in 97' just before the renovations began. It was a monster. I think they primarily added length and moved a few TBoxes to give different angles. It was dang hard back then. We played it after a week of rain so we got no roll. We were all single digits (each worked for CBSSports) and I don't think any of the six of us broke 80. We played from the tips which was a mistake. It's a course that. LOOKS open but is anything but. Subtle rolls in the fairways made good tee shots roll into brutal rough. I remember having several down hill lies in traps. They make you play away from the pin, even back to the fairway.

Wish I could help you get on but I was a tag along with the Director, now coordinating Producer at CBS. He pretty much just makes a call.

Girl...

What is your handicap?   They have a big sign at the #1 tee Warning that it is a very difficult course.  Really Brutal...I work with a fellow teaching professional(scratch player) who is from there...He plays it every time he goes back home...Brings him to his knees every time.

They have other courses than the Black...you might have a better experience playing one of the others...

Girl...

What is your handicap? They have a big sign at the #1 tee Warning that it is a very difficult course. Really Brutal...I work with a fellow teaching professional(scratch player) who is from there...He plays it every time he goes back home...Brings him to his knees every time.

They have other courses than the Black...you might have a better experience playing one of the others...

Handicap is a 18. I understand it's a hella tough course but there is only one Bethpage Black. I'm expect to shoot over 120.

Driver is the strongest part of my game. Usually hit most fairways and avg around 250 per drive. It's my 3 putts that kill me. :(

i don't think it counts if you play Bethpage Black from the ladies tees   :D    hell, its a tough sonofagun from any tee.

Bethpage Black Pars, Yardages, Ratings, Harzards and Turfs

The hole-by-hole yardages and pars listed here are for the Blue Tees, which are the championship tees for everyday play. The yards are taken from a Bethpage Black scorecard that appears on the pro shop's website.

No. 1 - Par 4 - 430 yards

No. 2 - Par 4 - 389 yards

No. 3 - Par 3 - 158 yards

No. 4 - Par 5 - 517 yards

No. 5 - Par 4 - 478 yards

No. 6 - Par 4 - 408 yards

No. 7 - Par 5 - 553 yards

No. 8 - Par 3 - 210 yards

No. 9 - Par 4 - 460 yards

Out - Par 36 - 3675 yards

No. 10 - Par 4 - 502 yards

No. 11 - Par 4 - 435 yards

No. 12 - Par 4 - 501 yards

No. 13 - Par 5 - 608 yards

No. 14 - Par 3 - 161 yards

No. 15 - Par 4 - 478 yards

No. 16 - Par 4 - 490 yards

No. 17 - Par 3 - 207 yards

No. 18 - Par 4 - 411 yards

In - Par 35 - 3793 yards

Total - Par 71 - 7468 yards

The USGA course rating for the championship tees is 78.1, and the USGA slope rating is 152. You'll notice that the back nine is particularly long, with two par-4s greater than 500 yards and another at 490 yards; and the only par-5 on the back is more than 600 yards.

There are two other sets of tees at Bethpage Black:

• White Tees: 6,684 yards, par 71, course rating 73.1, slope rating 140;
  • Red Tees: 6,223 yards, par 71, course rating 71.2 for men and 77.8 for women, slope rating 137 for men and 150 for women.

The average green size at Bethpage Black is 5,500 square feet. There are 75 sand bunkers on the course but only one water hazard.

Bermudagrass is used on the tees. The fairways are a mix of Kentucky bluegrass and zoysiagrass; the greens have bentgrass and perennial ryegrass. The rough is perennial ryegrass.