Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Darrell.....JS on IT saying no realignment?

I tend to think of him as a blowhard that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.  JMO.

I'm pretty sure you meant me.   I can't argue the blowhard description, but I can tell you that I know the difference between a hole in the ground and my ass.  I'm a doctor.  :)

OOhh, burn! lol

Srlsy, I know your solution is to fire Powers and hire an sec sycophant to run the University and move us to the Holy Land of CFB. Maybe that works in the short term, maybe not. But what's your long term vision for college football? Should we just keep shuffling the deck chairs?

Not fire Powers.  He's at the end of his career.  He deserves to simply retire.

The academic and cultural fit argument escapes me.  It's an athletic conference.

Texas high school players compete with any state in the United States.  The players have shown a preference for playing in the best conference when they choose A&M.  That's hard to overcome in some cases.  Take that away from A&M and they will immediately go back to being the 2nd tier football program that they historically have proven to be.

My long-term vision of college football is that the traditional powers break away from the NCAA.  Teams like Texas, Ohio State, Florida, etc. don't need to worry about the 85 scholarship limit.  The level playing field has a nice fuzzy warm sound to it but I see it as BS.  The "haves" should just compete among themselves.  At the end of every football season there would be an 8-team playoff to crown a real national championship.  

Not fire Powers.  He's at the end of his career.  He deserves to simply retire.

The academic and cultural fit argument escapes me.  It's an athletic conference.

Texas high school players compete with any state in the United States.  The players have shown a preference for playing in the best conference when they choose A&M.  That's hard to overcome in some cases.  Take that away from A&M and they will immediately go back to being the 2nd tier football program that they historically have proven to be.

My long-term vision of college football is that the traditional powers break away from the NCAA.  Teams like Texas, Ohio State, Florida, etc. don't need to worry about the 85 scholarship limit.  The level playing field has a nice fuzzy warm sound to it but I see it as BS.  The "haves" should just compete among themselves.  At the end of every football season there would be an 8-team playoff to crown a real national championship.  

Essentially what you are talking about is a super conference.  I've considered this myself, but soon realized it is too confining.  It also portends future trouble, i.e.; the old days of the NFL and the AFL.

Who doesn't like to see the occasional Cinderella team win and/or excel?  I'm talking about teams like Boise State.

Duke - what solves all of this is a total playoff system and not just 4 teams.

Consider this.  What if every conferences champion were admitted to a playoff system?  And I mean EVERY conference.  What are there - 26 NCAA conferences?  I think to accomodate the extra games, every school would have to give up their pre-conference games, but I could live with that.

Who could complain then?

Doc, I see the SEC, Big 12, Pac, B1G, and ACC conferences not really digging this.  If I'm those conferences, especially the SEC, I'd stack my top 8 teams against any of the conference champs from the other 21 minor conferences.  I'd say the other major conferences would argue the same thing for their top 3-5 teams each year.  

Doc, I see the SEC, Big 12, Pac, B1G, and ACC conferences not really digging this.  If I'm those conferences, especially the SEC, I'd stack my top 8 teams against any of the conference champs from the other 21 minor conferences.  I'd say the other major conferences would argue the same thing for their top 3-5 teams each year.  

This would be true today - but, once again, what about the cinderella teams, like Boise State?  There has to be a gateway for lesser teams to participate.

As far as a total playoff system, no doubt the model would have to be structured to make it fair.  I coiuld envision a plateau system as well., where by the weaker conferences would pony up a plateau winner for a final plateau.

I really haven't thought all of this through, but I am bettig dsomeone will and only because it just makes sense.

Besides, football is cyclical anyway - who's to say who the college powers will be 25 years from now?

This would be true today - but, once again, what about the cinderella teams, like Boise State?  There has to be a gateway for lesser teams to participate.

As far as a total playoff system, no doubt the model would have to be structured to make it fair.  I coiuld envision a plateau system as well., where by the weaker conferences would pony up a plateau winner for a final plateau.

I really haven't thought all of this through, but I am betting dsomeone could and only because it just makes sense.

Besides, football is cyclical anyway - who's to say who the college powers will be 25 years from now?

I really haven't thought all of this through, but I am betting dsomeone could and only because it just makes sense.

Very valid points.  Why not just look at creating a football RPI and selection committee. Expand the playoffs to the top 16 or 32 teams and let her rip?  The committee can decide who gets automatic bids just like hoops based on conference championship games and determine which lower ranked conferences get automatic bids and which don't.  RPI and rankings should get the the top 16-32 fairly well defined and just like hoops, you are going to have some teams on the bubble who are not at all happy with selections, but ultimately there isn't much argument in hoops as to who is the valid champ.

I'll just throw my two cents in here.

I've never bought into the whole 4 super-conference idea and I'm not even so sure that conferences at all are the answer any more.  At least not for everyone.

The Big XII split $220mil last year.  From a few different things I've read, Texas alone accounted for over $100mil of that.  It's has always been the deal that the majority of the teams in a conference rode the coattails of one or two teams.  I'm not talking wins, I'm talking money.  Who brings the money to the table because of TV audience, brand recognition, etc.  That was always ok in a "union" sort of way because the Texas' needed someone to play and also because we were talking all that much money.  Now we are.  Too much money to ignore.  And most importantly, why would some of these teams want to add even more schools to the coattails than they already have?

So when someone says follow the money, I agree 100%.  We just may not be talking about money the same way.  Texas and DeLoss have already set the example.  We have the LHN and as a major although often ignored result, ownership of our media rights past and present.  Now there will no longer be bowl tie ins or a BCS  championship...there's a playoff that should and will be determined by a committee just like basketball, so that the best teams play, regardless of what conference they're in, if the win it, if they play a conf cham game, etc.  Just the best teams, period.  And I have very little doubt that will expand to 8 teams fairly soon.  Four is just a stepping stone.

What happens when a handful of superior, blue-blood teams decide to forego a conference and agree to play each other every year?  Say Texas, Florida, ND, Michigan, USC, etc.  Yes, they'd have to get out of their conference but we'll see what happens with Maryland to see how feasible that is.  So they break out and create networks similar to LHN because Texas has already laid the groundwork for that.  They agree to play each other and then work out regional deals to fill in the rest of their games.  So say Texas plays Florida, ND, Michigan, USC, OU, Tech, Baylor, TCU and a few others (I'd guess there'd need to be about 7 big name teams go independent for it to work)

Who knows, maybe the Big XII goes to 14 with some of those new teams being FSU or someone who would work as a regional rival to some of the other independents and then make a deal to be a "sister" conference to all of them.  And with Texas out they can create their own conference network also.

Not saying it will happen, just thinking outside the box here but it may not be as far fetched as you think.  And I have a hard time thinking independent networks would have a hard time getting carriage when most of the games of some of the "bluest blooded" teams in college football are only carried on those networks.  The top schools can take the tv contracts completely away from the major networks if they wanted to.  That's following the money.  No need for a handful to carry everyone else in conferences when you can go independent and form a coalition that is similar to a conference but let's you retain everything that you bring to the table instead of sharing it with the Iowa States of the world.

I spoke with Jesus Shuttlesworth Friday. I asked him about the realignment thing.

He says Patterson is looking beyond that. Apparently, the NCAA's clock is ticking and something big will go down in the next couple years. So since whatever move could be made would potentially only work for a year or two - it wouldn't be worth the effort and time.

The big boys will break off and do their own thing, creating their own divisional system.

I spoke with Jesus Shuttlesworth Friday. I asked him about the realignment thing.

He says Patterson is looking beyond that. Apparently, the NCAA's clock is ticking and something big will go down in the next couple years. So since whatever move could be made would potentially only work for a year or two - it wouldn't be worth the effort and time.

The big boys will break off and do their own thing, creating their own divisional system.

Told you all!