Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friend of Bevo

I find the Major Realignment story here much more interesting than the Stansbury story...

Any of you in the know, or anyone with an opinion:

1. How likely is this to actually happen?

2. What criteria do you think will be used to determine the 65 or so schools that will be included?

If a kid doesn't go to college they still have the cost of putting a roof over their head and for food. Those costs are irrespective of whether the kid goes to college or not. The actual cost of attending UT is roughly $10k/yr. At some point, either you invest in your kid's future or you don't.

The difference is a kid not in college likely has a job. . . ..I didn't realize that would need to be explained. . .. 

Not sure the zeal to spin costs. . .but the final scene of Animal House leaps to mind with Kevin Bacon screaming hysterically 

"All is well. . . . . All is well"

The difference is a kid not in college likely has a job. . . ..I didn't realize that would need to be explained. . ..

Not sure the zeal to spin costs. . .but the final scene of Animal House leaps to mind with Kevin Bacon screaming hysterically

"All is well. . . . . All is well"

If an 18 year old decided to start a Subway franchise that cost $40k over 4 years and asked a bank for $100k, the banker would roll their eyes when the kid explained he was only going to dedicate 5 hours a day to running the business, didn't anticipate having any income for the four years and wanted the bank to support him entirely.

Parents who tell their kids to borrow $100k to get through college in Texas are parents who encourage their kids to finance the entirety of their living expenses for the first four years of their adult lives and do as little as possible.

The kid starting the $40k Subway franchise can expect to put in 12-14 hour days while he builds his business. The kid borrowing his living expenses spends 6 hours a day building his "business" (any employee is essentially an individual brand contracting to a client for a set amount of labor at a set rate). In 20 years, who has a better chance of being successful and self supporting, the kid who worked 12-14 hours building a business and borrowed as little as possible while he got his start, or the kid whose parents encouraged him to only put in 6 hours a day when he started his life and borrowed living expenses instead of learning how to be self sufficient.

We complain about how entitled the younger generation is, yet we encourage them to not earn a dime while young adults, to consider 30 hours a week as exteme effort and to step out of college entitled to a paycheck.

The problem giving our kids a screwed up impression of the expectations of being a young adult. If we teach kids job skills while we teach them professional skills, we will get graduates with less debt and more life skills. I can't believe the number of parents who think is is wrong to expects young adults in college to start learning how to support themselves. Trust me, snowflake will be OK if they have to help pay expenses while they are in college.

Using your numbers, each 3 hour class costs $2,500 to finance (using my numbers, it costs $1,000). Think placement exams and/or a course at community college during the summer to knock out a core history or government. Put together four classes and the kid has generated $10,000 (or $4k by my numbers). A full 10% reduction in the cost of a college education. An alternate path to one class a year is all that would require. Is that too much to ask of someone? If so, they don't want it bad enough.

After rereading the OP's original line, he mentions a realignment in 2 years with aTm being in our pod. My first thought was regional leagues without regard to conference affiliation, But he does mention realignment. The only other thing I've seen envisioned is a merger of the B1G & the PAC, with a simular merger of the SEC, ACC and B12. In both cases a few schools who either can't afford or don't want to pay for the proposed increases associated with D4 would be left out (choose to not join). Have no idea if this is the way it will go, but ithat or a devouring of the ACC by the B1G, SEC, & B12, with a few opting out,, are the only realignment options i've heard about that make any sense, given the financial realities.

Using your numbers, each 3 hour class costs $2,500 to finance (using my numbers, it costs $1,000). Think placement exams and/or a course at community college during the summer to knock out a core history or government. Put together four classes and the kid has generated $10,000 (or $4k by my numbers). A full 10% reduction in the cost of a college education. An alternate path to one class a year is all that would require. Is that too much to ask of someone? If so, they don't want it bad enough.

That's because I"m using the actually costs not trying to spin . . . . . .you assume the ONLY cost for a kid in school is tuition . ..whether he is in community college or not, he still has to live and eat. . . . . .I'm dealing with the real world. . . . .sorry .. . . 

You are welcome to blame whomever . . . ..still doesn't change the fact it is a problem on many levels. . . .

But trying to claim there is no problem (as you appear to be doing) is burying your head in the sand .. . ..or making moral judgements. . ..I agree with some of your comments. . .I worked to put myself through college with zero help from mom or dad. . . .not a strategy I recommend

Still doesn't change the fact we face a massive problem and college tuition has risen much faster than inflation. . . .. . 

That's because I"m using the actually costs not trying to spin . . . . . .you assume the ONLY cost for a kid in school is tuition . ..whether he is in community college or not, he still has to live and eat. . . . . .I'm dealing with the real world. . . . .sorry .. . . 

You are welcome to blame whomever . . . ..still doesn't change the fact it is a problem on many levels. . . .

But trying to claim there is no problem (as you appear to be doing) is burying your head in the sand. . .. . 

Looks like we will not be able to graduate....not enough money.

But trying to claim there is no problem (as you appear to be doing) is burying your head in the sand .. . ..or making moral judgements. . ..I agree with some of your comments. . .I worked to put myself through college with zero help from mom or dad. . . .not a strategy I recommend

Still doesn't change the fact we face a massive problem and college tuition has risen much faster than inflation. . . .. .

Tuition at UT is $9,600/yr. It is flawed logic to claim the rate of increase in college tuition affects anything other than that $9,600/yr. If you want to claim the cost or rental housing is rising, great. If you want to claim the cost of food is rising, great. The cost of tuition, rental housing and food are three independent costs. If a kid does not go to college, he still has the problem of the cost of rental housing and food. If a kid lives at home and his parents pay his food, he only has the cost of going to college, which is the cost of tuition (and books).

If a kid isn't willing to exert any effort in high school to save money for college, while in college refuses to contribute any money whatsoever to the cost and demands he go to the college of his choice, he is going to have to pay for those decisions somehow. Any individual who decides not to do anything to put food on their table for their first four years of adulthood and instead chooses to borrow to pay his bills is going to have a problem, but his self-centered behavior isn't society's problem.

If a person is willing to get an after school job in high school to save for college, works while doing their first two years at a local college and works to support themself during their last two years at UT, they can graduate without $100,000 in loans.

I don't cry for over entitled snowflakes who think saving for college, supporting one's self as an adult and helping pay for their own school expenses are beneath them.

I don't cry for over entitled snowflakes who think saving for college, supporting one's self as an adult and helping pay for their own school expenses are beneath them.

Wow. . . .aren't you bobby bad azz .. . . . 

Here's a newflash .. . . tuition costs are in fact rising significantly faster than inflation (inflation is measured by the the cost of such things as  food and housing etc. . . hard to believe I have to explain this). . . . .

But yeah .. . .we should all take the morally self righteous stance like you and ignore this massive student loan bubble which is about to pop. . . . .it's as large as the real estate bubble that tanked the economy in 2008. . . . .

Cuz talking like an internet hard azz is magically going to make the problem go away .. . . . .

You guys are in a real cuss fight when there isn't that much to cuss about, IMHO. Tuition is too high, much of it going to cover the high costs of complying with all kinds of regulations, particularly Title IX ( and I am not talking about the part that deals with athletics). Then there is the high administrative costs of "political correctness" which is rampant in our colleges and universities.

It is also pretty clear to me that a lot of students are acquiring high debt, and taking a course of study that gives them no chance of earning enough to pay back the loans unless they win the lottery. There are a lot of things to criticize about higher education right now. At the same time, we need to keep the politicians' hands off of it as much as we can. We all know how they can really screw things up.

I can remember over 50 years ago UT had a committee from the private sector that undertook how to make UT a "university of the first class." We need another such committee to take a long, hard look at where higher ed has gone wrong....and it has...but also at what they are doing right. But it needs to be composed of bright people who do not have an agenda....if such can be found.

In the meantime, our university does need to look at ways to cut costs. Weed out unnecessary things. I suspect that one could fire a bunch of folks without affecting the quality of education. Of course, we would need to do away with some of the more silly regulations.

I don't want to get into a fight over the governor, though I am opposed to some of the things he has been trying to do. I think that clearly the system is broken, and is failing to self cure, so some impetus is going to have to come from somewhere.

By the way, my daughter is a graduate of Texas A&M, Class of 1999. The day she graduated, she was debt free, and had a brand new SUV to start out with. I started saving for college when she was born, and was able to pay cash for her education, including tuition, books,room, board, clothes, sorority, travel including automobile, and even ticket. LOL It was not cheap at the time, and the costs have significantly increased since then.

She also has had employment in her field of study since then, so her time and money wasn't wasted. But she would be in a total wreck if she had to pay off a loan for even 1/4 of what it all cost.

I pity the poor kids who have borrowed a lot of money for a degree that doesn't lead to a career. You all know the ones I am talking about. We need to do something about that, but I have no clue what.

Sorry for the rant. Just got started. I will stop now. LOL

saban was 100% right? 

that's a cheap shot. i know.

i like you darrell and i'm sure you're reporting what you're hearing. but like i've said, just seems like a longhorn site piling on a salacious aggie story.

anyway, i've gone waaaaay longer on this than i meant to. been up a long time watching 7-7 ( and yes, boerne advanced and dormady looked good). gonna bow out of this topic and try and finish the baseball game.

I just love the passive-aggressive BS. edited  Well Darrell, at least he's having to pay you every month to criticize you over here! 

SG

I just love the passive-aggressive BS.  edited  Well Darrell, at least he's having to pay you every month to criticize you over here! 

SG

I read Street's post as the good-natured ribbing I'm sure it was. Darrell put himself way out on a limb and was wrong. I think he's man enough to handle it. STP was one of the posters on here that consistently said there was no chance we got Saban.

But continue on with your name-calling.

SMH

I read Street's post as the good-natured ribbing I'm sure it was. Darrell put himself way out on a limb and was wrong. I think he's man enough to handle it. STP was one of the posters on here that consistently said there was no chance we got Saban.

SMH

It's easy to be negative about something being perceived as "too good to be true" as your boy did by saying that Saban wasn't coming.  Hell, the World is filled with people like that.  Everyone and their brother was saying that Saban wasn't coming to Austin.  McPhaul had the balls to actually post what he was hearing.  Hell, Darrell even took the arrows like a man and continues to take arrows to this day over it.

I know where McPhaul's information was coming from during the Saban ordeal and it wasn't just coming from just 1 or 2 BMD camps. We were closer than anyone cares to admit and had it not been for Mack Brown and for Bill Powers, Nick Saban would be the Head Coach at the University of Texas today. 

Consequently, as UT fans we may not want to admit it but the truth of the matter is Charlie Strong is not the "rock star" hire that we were all hoping for.  Not even close.  That doesn't mean that Strong won't be a succesful Head Coach at the University of Texas, it just means that he wasn't the splash hire we were being led to believe that we were going after.

SG

It's easy to be negative about something being perceived as "too good to be true" as your boy did by saying that Saban wasn't coming.  Hell, the World is filled with people like that.  Everyone and their brother was saying that Saban wasn't coming to Austin.  McPhaul had the balls to actually post what he was hearing.  Hell, Darrell even took the arrows like a man and continues to take arrows to this day over it.

I know where McPhaul's information was coming from during the Saban ordeal and it wasn't just coming from just 1 or 2 BMD camps. We were closer than anyone cares to admit and had it not been for Mack Brown and for Bill Powers, Nick Saban would be the Head Coach at the University of Texas today. 

Consequently, as UT fans we may not want to admit it but the truth of the matter is Charlie Strong is not the "rock star" hire that we were all hoping for.  Not even close.  That doesn't mean that Strong won't be a succesful Head Coach at the University of Texas, it just means that he wasn't the splash hire we were being led to believe that we were going after.

SG

I certainly wasn't hoping for a "rock star." And Saban, may or may not have been successful here.

The point of my post was the name-calling.

This isn't OB.

SMH

S-T-P is a smart azz. . . . .and I think you are spot on. . . . .I fully intend to give Darrell good natured grief about it when we're in the old folks home decades from now. . . .

I'm 99% sure Darrell knows it's friendly crapolla being dished out.. . . .

Strong was my #2 choice after Harbaugh so I get to gloat a bit. . . .in fact. . . .bring up OB again. . . .I noticed the revisionist history has begun with 2 posters who were big critics of Strong (the quote was "not even at the top of the 2nd tier candidates". . .or words to that effect) now fully backing him.

But I digress. . . 

By the way, my daughter is a graduate of Texas A&M, Class of 1999. The day she graduated, she was debt free, and had a brand new SUV to start out with. I started saving for college when she was born, and was able to pay cash for her education, including tuition, books,room, board, clothes, sorority, travel including automobile, and even ticket. LOL It was not cheap at the time, and the costs have significantly increased since then.

Sorry for the rant. Just got started. I will stop now. LOL

There is still time to adopt me Dad. . . . .

Didn't realize this thread had blown up until my boss told me, so I figured I would add my take on the lawyering up. Most colleges have lawyers that they go to when a student-athlete is in trouble that normally are supporters of the AD called penny lawyers, Brian Roark is an example in Austin. FWIW, I think Stansbury is guilty as sin at the very least on the assault, coaches expect to work Jackson in on 3rd down and special teams this year.

Didn't realize this thread had blown up until my boss told me, so I figured I would add my take on the lawyering up. Most colleges have lawyers that they go to when a student-athlete is in trouble that normally are supporters of the AD called penny lawyers, Brian Roark is an example in Austin. FWIW, I think Stansbury is guilty as sin at the very least on the assault, coaches expect to work Jackson in on 3rd down and special teams this year.

Mike,

As always, we appreciate you sharing your opinion.

Rice vs. A&M Assault Case

Evidently Stansburry has fired his initial attorney Allena Wright and found a large cache of money in his sofa and hired a very good defense attorney.  The Harris County DA's office is building a case to prosecute to the fullest.  Keep in mind, the DA's office is not just going to press charges on the assault but, the attempted rape/sexual assault.  I was told that  sometimes it takes up to six months to put a case like this together.  

Depending on the money and stroke of those involved, yes it does. Then you're looking at each side filing two extensions whether they need it or not, and the court to "overbook" at least two dockets. This could go on for another 18 months before it goes to trial.