Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

burnt orange vs maroon: "aggy is beating us with the best recruits" should we acquire our own SWAG AGENDA?

monarch

NS_18HSALLEN_16_33806034.jpg

The Texas A&M "Swag Copter" made a landing on a football field adjacent to the Allen High School versus Plano West High School football game at John Clark Stadium in Plano on Friday night, October 18, 2013. (Stewart F. House/Special Contributor)

Texas A&M helicopter ‘undefeated, as far as signees and commitments,’ says coach Kevin Sumlin.  It’s now well-known that Texas A&M uses a maroon helicopter, loaned by a booster, to aid in the coaches’ recruiting.

Coach Kevin Sumlin said it’s not just for show, but it also allows the coaches to go to A&M practice and quickly get to multiple games in the Houston or Dallas areas while avoiding traffic.

Completely practical.

Also, “the helicopter is undefeated, as far as signees and commitments,†Sumlin said. “That’s one thing I think we’ll just keep doing.â€

i am a faithful person.  and yes, i know that coach charlie strong, is about to add some badly needed substance to the texas equation.  but i do not like being outdone upon any level as per the texas aggies. 

imo, it has now become high time, for the university of texas, to stop being so damn ultra conservative upon all things human nature.. and start to add a small bit of style upon certain categories at the 40 acres.  somehow, we have allowed ourselves to venture

way to far behind the oregon's, alabama's, michigan's, and yes.. even the aggies.  WE NEED TO DEVELOP OUR OWN MODE OF SWAGGER / STYLE!  and stop being so very afraid that it shall hurt our pristine image.

No we don't. When aggy loses 5 games this year, after grossly underachieving with 3 first round picks and the best player in their "storied" history in 2013, the "Swagger" will fall off dramatically. Smoke and mirrors will only work for a quick fix. We are building something of substance here. Aggy is still trading on hype and BS. I am not concerned. What happens on the field matters far more than a cheesy helicopter.

That said, how about a jet pack for Charlie?

you don't 'acquire' swagger. DKR had it when he called right 53 veer pass in '69. James street had it when he executed it. VY had it on 4th down at KU in 04. he had it in 2 rose bowls. 30 years after carrying a football Earl STILL has it. 

none of it had to do with mode of transportation. right now, i'll support 'we're not going to be a gadget program'.

you don't 'acquire' swagger. DKR had it when he called right 53 veer pass in '69. James street had it when he executed it. VY had it on 4th down at KU in 04. he had it in 2 rose bowls. 30 years after carrying a football Earl STILL has it. 

none of it had to do with mode of transportation. right now, i'll support 'we're not going to be a gadget program'.

stop trying to always over hype your positions / case streettopeschel.  you are most certainly entitled as per your own opinion.. just not your very own facts!  each and everyone of those human examples that you mentioned, were not born with "swagger"... but at some point within their very illustrious lives, through the mode of education vs self confidence, they "acquired" it.  i have never ever stated that TEXAS acquiring swagger had to do with a mode of transportation.  what i stated was that "we shall need to add a small bit of "SWAGGER / STYLE upon the ultra conservative 40 acres".  this could very well mean most anything.  today's recruits, are just not like your "grandfather's oldsmobile" of recruitment.  today's players very different.  they're smarter, far more advanced information wise, they're extremely glamorous (whether we like it or not), they definitely know just how to manipulate the recruitment system, to get the things that they want, they are far more patient then they used to be.  in order to win over today's recruits, you have to anticipate them in advance.  the right kinds of facilities, uniforms, functions, peers, you name it, they now want it..  if you want them to play for you.  alabama, oregon, michigan, notre dame, atm, auburn, florida state, to name a few... these schools seem to get it.  and now it's time for texas to step up to the plate.    

stop trying to always over hype your positions / case streettopeschel.  you are most certainly entitled as per your own opinion.. just not your very own facts!  each and everyone of those human examples that you mentioned, were not born with "swagger"... but at some point within their very illustrious lives, through the mode of education vs self confidence, they "acquired" it.  i have never ever stated that TEXAS acquiring swagger had to do with a mode of transportation.  what i stated was that "we shall need to add a small bit of "SWAGGER / STYLE upon the ultra conservative 40 acres".  this could very well mean most anything.  today's recruits, are just not like your "grandfather's oldsmobile" of recruitment.  today's players very different.  they're smarter, far more advanced information wise, they're extremely glamorous (whether we like it or not), they definitely know just how to manipulate the recruitment system, to get the things that they want, they are far more patient then they used to be.  in order to win over today's recruits, you have to anticipate them in advance.  the right kinds of facilities, uniforms, functions, peers, you name it, they now want it..  if you want them to play for you.  alabama, oregon, michigan, notre dame, atm, auburn, florida state, to name a few... these schools seem to get it.  and now it's time for texas to step up to the plate.    

Gotta disagree with you Monarch, Alabama doesn't have any off the field swag. If they do have swag it's from winning on the field. Michigan under Brady Hoke has zero swag.

We will have this mysterious swag once we start winning on the field, just like we did when we had Vince.

Gotta disagree with you Monarch, Alabama doesn't have any off the field swag. If they do have swag it's from winning on the field. Michigan under Brady Hoke has zero swag.

We will have this mysterious swag once we start winning on the field, just like we did when we had Vince.

Alabama zero swag. Just wins and off the field rumor $$$. ;)

Michigan is irrelevant and ND had no business playing in the MNC 2 years ago.

Only swag A&M, Michigan, and Notre Dame have in common are the ugly ass alternate uniforms from Adidas.

wait...you're accusing ME of over hyping ? 

I'm going to have to RETHINK this situation as per this tall pour of cab in my hand !!!

by the way...i understand your point, i just don't agree with it as it pertains to style. i thought charlie's 'gadget' comment was money and i think long term that substance over style will win.

i'd also add of the schools you highlighted above, all but one either won or played for a NC since 2 years before most Americans knew where Pearl Harbor was.  

Perhaps removing the huge picture of the "Swag Copter" and a less superfluous writing style would make your point a little better.

But totally disagree with you on the premise that we need to somehow manufacture some swag gimmicks.  Let's let this staffs recruitment style unfold.  Winning creates swag.  And I'm sorry, Michigan and Notre Dame don't have swag or good records, if any programs are old school it's those two.

If Coach Strong wins without a doubt recruiting will reflect that.  If not and this time next year we have a poor recruiting class then maybe a change might be in order.  Give the man a chance.

stop trying to always over hype your positions / case streettopeschel. you are most certainly entitled as per your own opinion.. just not your very own facts! each and everyone of those human examples that you mentioned, were not born with "swagger"... but at some point within their very illustrious lives, through the mode of education vs self confidence, they "acquired" it. i have never ever stated that TEXAS acquiring swagger had to do with a mode of transportation. what i stated was that "we shall need to add a small bit of "SWAGGER / STYLE upon the ultra conservative 40 acres". this could very well mean most anything. today's recruits, are just not like your "grandfather's oldsmobile" of recruitment. today's players very different. they're smarter, far more advanced information wise, they're extremely glamorous (whether we like it or not), they definitely know just how to manipulate the recruitment system, to get the things that they want, they are far more patient then they used to be. in order to win over today's recruits, you have to anticipate them in advance. the right kinds of facilities, uniforms, functions, peers, you name it, they now want it.. if you want them to play for you. alabama, oregon, michigan, notre dame, atm, auburn, florida state, to name a few... these schools seem to get it. and now it's time for texas to step up to the plate.

Screw "swagger" just go play football and win. All these have one thing in common they win except for Michigan and atm. If you win they will come ... forget this fake "swagger" crap.

Swagger don't mean crap if you don't back it up. We don't follow trends we set them, Dammit. We win we get great recruits and the cycle continues. If there is no substance you sell swagger. At UT we sell winning and tradition, not dogs and helicopters.

What starts here.... changes the world....

Perhaps removing the huge picture of the "Swag Copter" and a less superfluous writing style would make your point a little better.

But totally disagree with you on the premise that we need to somehow manufacture some swag gimmicks.  Let's let this staffs recruitment style unfold.  Winning creates swag.  And I'm sorry, Michigan and Notre Dame don't have swag or good records, if any programs are old school it's those two.

If Coach Strong wins without a doubt recruiting will reflect that.  If not and this time next year we have a poor recruiting class then maybe a change might be in order.  Give the man a chance.

it certainly seems that the "huge picture of the swag copter vs superfluous writing style" met it's overall objective in acquiring your attention... just as it was meant to.  now please allow for me to "totally disagree with you".  no one mentioned anything about texas "manufacturing swag gimmicks".   simply because, if you incorporate a small, and yet discreet bit of STYLE upon your recruitment presentation (whatever that may be)... then there shall be no "manufacturing" of swagger needed.  please sir, always bare in mind, that today's recruits know quality.  many of them, attend public high schools that are state of the art... you name it, they have it.  quality, transcends upon all segments upon what they could very well be looking for, at the schools they visit.   

Screw "swagger" just go play football and win. All these have one thing in common they win except for Michigan and atm. If you win they will come ... forget this fake "swagger" crap.

wait one minute texasdobbs.  you know that i love you my pal, but not only did VINCE YOUNG have swagger... he also defined it!  there was nothing "fake" about his swagger either... it helped to create a subculture, by which also helped to win a championship at the university of texas.  this was in lieu, of a very long BCS coaches trophy drought upon the 40 acres.

What starts here.... changes the world....

well, i tell you what my good pal, let us keep stressing the all important point to all prospective recruits... and let's see just where it gets us...

wait one minute texasdobbs. you know that i love you my pal, but not only did VINCE YOUNG have swagger... he also defined it! there was nothing "fake" about his swagger either... it helped to create a subculture, by which also helped to win a championship at the university of texas. this was in lieu, of a very long BCS coaches trophy drought upon the 40 acres.

Exactly you said the key word... "win"... when you win the "swagger" comes naturally. Case and point as far as facilities etc... we have everything that Alabama has except the winning. I just saying let it come naturally and not this fake stuff. We don't need to be like the sheep farmer... we need to be Texas and thus: What starts here changes the world. Let Charlie do his thing and things will be fine.

This is not a personal attack on you, I just can't stand the fake swagger... real swagger is earned.

Monarch...so while touting the ag 'swag copter' and stating we've somehow fallen behind, you advocate Texas institutes a 'small, and yet discreet bit of STYLE...'

my support of Strong's anti-gadget platform has been stated. i'd be curious what exactly you'd propose to achieve your mission. 

stop trying to "que the ball, right back into my end of the pool table" streettopeschel.  you are a grand debater, but i'm no slouch.  i am most certain that you may be able to comprehend that the "swag copter" was a symbolic gesture upon my part.  however, just as i have stated beforehand, UT has many many many avenues, by which "style" aspects may be incorporated upon dealing with any prospective recruits.  we just need to stop being so very ultraconservative upon our approach.  (believe it or not, it turns off many recruits)  whenever, we have those that are afraid to involve a small bit of swagger into our overall presentation as per today's players... then that should tell you everything that you need to know about why we are so far behind others.

you are most certainly not the only one that is in support of strong's platform.  but i think that it's a bit of "silly season" rhetoric to hinge everything upon "anti gadgets".   even charlie strong, had to back off a bit, upon his already famous arbitrary statement regarding "not winning a national championship this forthcoming season".  although, we are all keenly aware, that his statement has a small ring of truth to it... no one has yet stated, that it was hereby impossible. 

Monarch I think winning cures all. I also think UT already has plenty of swag. Fantastic facilities, a weight room to die for with burnt orange plates to boot. Fantastic academics, sixth street, fantastic music atmosphere, Mathew McConaughey plus 4 national championship trophies. That should be enough shiney toys to impress any 17 year old.