Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big 12 spring meeting update

• Administrators

Earth shattering news yesterday - recruiting rules are outdated.

I read this piece and nodded in agreement through most of it. Then, after finishing, I wondered if the conferences, commissioners, et al are going to try to change too much?

If they try to implement sweeping reform, it will take years to reach agreement and then more years to install the changes. I'd much rather see them take 1-2 issues and address them on an individual basis. They'll be successful much sooner with all these drastic changes if they don't try to do it all at once.

Earth shattering news yesterday - recruiting rules are outdated.

I read this piece and nodded in agreement through most of it. Then, after finishing, I wondered if the conferences, commissioners, et al are going to try to change too much?

If they try to implement sweeping reform, it will take years to reach agreement and then more years to install the changes. I'd much rather see them take 1-2 issues and address them on an individual basis. They'll be successful much sooner with all these drastic changes if they don't try to do it all at once.

In reality, does it make sense to craft a set of changes before the O'Bannon, Aereo and Univ of Maryland court decisions? The Northwestern appeals will take some time, but the other three cases have the potential to change the college football landscape appreciably. If it were up to me, I would prefer to hold off as long as possible on substantive change until the wild cards were known variables. 

• Administrators

For the fifth time in five weeks, the NCAA has filed to delay the O'Bannon case. I agree with your sentiment but it also seems like the NCAA is trying to stall all these suits in hopes that changes to the system have a positive impact on their argument?

The tail is wagging the dog at this point, but if that brings about change sooner than later then I'm fine with it.