Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rumor around DFW

It's been talked about on the Ticket and a few other local shows, but apparently there is an effort underway to move the Texas Rangers from Arlington to downtown Dallas.

Before you begin to talk about what a nice facility the BPIA is, keep in mind the move would be 10 years down the road and by then, the BPIA is 30 years old.

Some say a move to downtown would boost the team's value almost instantly. It would also revitalized whatever section of downtown they choose to build in.

Personally, I don't like it. I hate going to downtown Dallas. Seems nothing very good happens there anymore. It's always crazy traffic. Arlington, IMO, works because the Rangers are more of a regional team - and - they started in Arlington through the efforts of Arlington people. I think they belong in Arlington.

Tons of growth directly north of Arlington. More growth happening in N FW and outer northern communities. Arlington is convenient to all.

Am I right or wrong? Would you move the franchise?

Link

They'd be foolish to move it, for reasons that you state SHA.  The only saving grace of downtown Dallas is public transit, (which, BTW, Arlington has failed miserably at, but that's a discussion for another time.)  And to base a move on public transit is very short-sighted.

The Rangers' lease runs through 2024.

The subject won't even be up for serious discussion until 2020. Any deal would hinge on a note welfare payment from the taxpayers. No politician is going to obligate the taxpayers today for something that won't yield tangible benefits until 2030.

I realize that in 10-15 years, the BPIA will be considered "outdated" somehow. But right now, it's a great place to watch baseball.

A client of mine that some of you may now, Adam Butcher, has a group that he invites to his company's suite there at the ballpark. I've been in many suites before and can say I probably enjoy the his suite at the BPIA the best. Great laid back atmosphere. Waiters/waitresses who are on the ball and keep the cooler stocked and samiches coming.

Dallas would offer more to do in the downtown area I suppose. But I'm sure whatever gains they see in Dallas County will be accompanied by losses in Tarrant County (FW).

The Rangers' lease runs through 2024.

The subject won't even be up for serious discussion until 2020. Any deal would hinge on a note welfare payment from the taxpayers. No politician is going to obligate the taxpayers today for something that won't yield tangible benefits until 2030.

Perhaps public discussion. But as you can see, discussions are already underway. A move like that takes time.

You saw Jerry go to the Dallas city council several times before he just threw his hands up. He ran out of time.

So ideally, you have the planning well underway by the time you take your case to the voter for whatever part you're going to ask of them. Your ducks have to be very well lined up.

The lease is just a contract that can be bought out. The stadium has long been paid for so Arlington citizens aren't on the hook.

IF it materializes, it happens in 10 years, which would be 2024.

well, if dallas is trying in earnest to revitalize their respective downtown district... then what better option, than the strategy of bringing forth their region wide baseball team, including a new downtown stadium.  i am most certain that they are using the houston model as a direct example of urban success.  this is the very thing that i have always admired about the DFW region... their elected officials plan well, and then they venture forth and achieve their respective goals.  reminds me a bit of atlanta.  GO FOR IT DALLAS! 

• Administrators

For perspective's sake....I grew up in Atlanta, GA and was a Braves fan. First at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, then at "The Ted", I spent years making the trek downtown from a northern suburb to see games and it was a huge pain in the a$$ for most of the reasons mentioned here.

Can't say that I didn't enjoy being in town once I was there. It's a different dynamic and demographic when you're in town vs the 'burbs.

The Rangers will still sell seats hand over fist. The people this will impact most will be season ticket holders & guys like Adam. The fans that go to 5 games/year will still go.

since i'm not a metroplexer, no dog in the hunt. just for discussion sake, despite opposition from various factions, the downtown ballpark in HOU has worked out well. it did bring new business to downtown. and from a convenience standpoint, the astrodome wasn't all that handy for the suburban population bases either so that part was a wash.

wouldn't moving out of arlington make it less likely for the ft worth fans to go to games or is that a non-factor ? 

since i'm not a metroplexer, no dog in the hunt. just for discussion sake, despite opposition from various factions, the downtown ballpark in HOU has worked out well. it did bring new business to downtown. and from a convenience standpoint, the astrodome wasn't all that handy for the suburban population bases either so that part was a wash.

wouldn't moving out of arlington make it less likely for the ft worth fans to go to games or is that a non-factor ? 

IMO, the Rangers are more Ft. Worth's team than Dallas as it stands now.  Why risk alienating a loyal fan base for the "glitter" of Big D?  Dallas for culture, Ft. Worth for FUN!

Based on the city of Dallas' handling of the Jerry Jones negotiations, I'd say Arlington is probably safe.  This is more likely wishful thinking by the Dallas Morning News or other special interest groups.  It'd be a bad move IMO.

Well, you can pretty much drop all that in the lap of former mayor Laura Miller. She hated sports.

Based on the city of Dallas' handling of the Jerry Jones negotiations, I'd say Arlington is probably safe.  This is more likely wishful thinking by the Dallas Morning News or other special interest groups.  It'd be a bad move IMO.

New mayor who's head is not squarely up his backside. . .

But sorry, despite being 10 miles inside the county line. . ..by all reports (including when I was at the ballpark on a convention tour last year). . . .The Rangers still draw more fans from counties other than Tarrant . ..  .

While I am a fan of Ft Worth, it's a crappy sports town . . .

Downtown stadium would sit on the North/south DART lines (mass transit) and open the Rangers up to more of the areas growth. . . 

Not saying it will happen but current leadership gives it a shot. . . . 

I attended the first game in Arlington in 1972 and in total about 30 games that summer. I think the Rangers belong in Arlington and the stadium will be just as good 10 years from now as it is now.

With proper upkeep of course.

But I only get to go to three or four games a year now so I don't have a high personal stake.

I just see it as a terrible waste of money to build another stadium anytime in the next 20 to 30 years. JMO