Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Truth about BYU and the Big 12

What about the SEC and ACC "colluding" against non-P5 teams such as BYU? By announcing that they "won't count" towards their SOS rating? That openly "locks out" teams, too, if the P5 members decide to only schedule each other.

Is it considered exclusionary if the D4 super-conferences establish criteria for membership? Must have a 50k seat stadium, financial resources to offer "full-cost" of scholarship, etc. There's gotta be a loophole to avoid antitrust litigation.

If you remember back when Utah was being shut out of BCS consideration (before they went to the PAC), Orrin Hatch made it very clear Congress would hold hearings on antitrust violations of any system that only allowed a certain number of large programs the opportunity to compete at the highest level.

There was a time when Harvard and Army were the powers in college football. Teams like Miami at one time were nothing. Aggy had a national championship before Texas had even made it to a number one ranking during a season. Claiming teams of today must always be included and all others shut out isn't going to happen. I can see a major division with a relegation system, but trying to find loopholes to circumvent well founded laws isn't the solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to think the BYU "national fanbase" is a bit of a misnomer because if they had such a huge following that would bring so much, then why aren't they in a conference now? Why aren't people begging to get them into their conference like with ND?

Also, what does their "national fanbase" have to do with anything? How would that help at all?

How about dropping ISU and KU and become The Big 8?  There was a conference like this once and it gets rid of a couple of weak sisters that have been mooching off the Big 12.  And the remaining 8 teams REALLY can make some money.  :)

I would not want to dump Kansas, they bring a lot to the table with their basketball program.  Now, getting Kansas to work on improving their football program is another issue, isn't it?  Besides, things are going to shake out after all of these lawsuits are settled.  All things being considered, it is probably best to stand pat for a while.

How about dropping ISU and KU and become The Big 8?  There was a conference like this once and it gets rid of a couple of weak sisters that have been mooching off the Big 12.  And the remaining 8 teams REALLY can make some money.  :)

In terms of overall program revenue, Kansas pulled in more last year than Florida State, Nebraska or North Carolina. They are worthless at football, but overall, they are not an insignificant program. 

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

I would not want to dump Kansas, they bring a lot to the table with their basketball program.  Now, getting Kansas to work on improving their football program is another issue, isn't it?  Besides, things are going to shake out after all of these lawsuits are settled.  All things being considered, it is probably best to stand pat for a while.

Well, if basketball could make some money - then great.  I think bowlsby needs to get into a trade agreement with the ACC, a known basketball conference.  We'll trade KU for FSU.  I like this idea.  :P

doc longhorn, on 12 Jun 2014 - 2:05 PM, said:

Well, if basketball could make some money - then great.  I think bowlsby needs to get into a trade agreement with the ACC, a known basketball conference.  We'll trade KU for FSU.  I like this idea.  :P

Randolf Duke, on 13 Jun 2014 - 1:56 PM, said:

In terms of overall program revenue, Kansas pulled in more last year than Florida State, Nebraska or North Carolina. They are worthless at football, but overall, they are not an insignificant program. 

http://www.usatoday....hools/finances/

Eh!  Since nothing is gonna really happen till the court cases get settled, and since we are just pie in the sky conjecturing, let's just tell the Notre Domers and the BYU Multiple Marriageists that the great Ahuru Mazda who resides in the Burnt Orange Sunset has dictated that they join us in this adventure that we will call the "Manifest Destiny of the Big 12"!  We shall sally forth with our compatriots, the Baylor Babtists and the TCU Horney Froggies and we shall defeat the sycophantic minions of the SEC on this, a most sacred field of battle!

Eh!  Works for me.

doc longhorn, on 12 Jun 2014 - 2:05 PM, said:

Randolf Duke, on 13 Jun 2014 - 1:56 PM, said:

http://www.usatoday....hools/finances/

Eh!  Since nothing is gonna really happen till the court cases get settled, and since we are just pie in the sky conjecturing, let's just tell the Notre Domers and the BYU Multiple Marriageists that the great Ahuru Mazda who resides in the Burnt Orange Sunset has dictated that they join us in this adventure that we will call the "Manifest Destiny of the Big 12"!  We shall sally forth with our compatriots, the Baylor Babtists and the TCU Horney Froggies and we shall defeat the sycophantic minions of the SEC on this, a most sacred field of battle!

Eh!  Works for me.

I'm starting to think the BYU "national fanbase" is a bit of a misnomer because if they had such a huge following that would bring so much, then why aren't they in a conference now? Why aren't people begging to get them into their conference like with ND?

Also, what does their "national fanbase" have to do with anything? How would that help at all?

Hardly a misnomer and fans bring eyes to TV sets. . .eyes lead to advertising. . . 

They are not in a conference because they do not want to be . .. . .and because of where they are geographically. . . .but why split revenues in the Mountain West when you don't have to?

Same for ND

Hardly a misnomer and fans bring eyes to TV sets. . .eyes lead to advertising. . . 

They are not in a conference because they do not want to be . .. . .and because of where they are geographically. . . .but why split revenues in the Mountain West when you don't have to?

Same for ND

Oh, they wanted to be in a conference alright - just not the Mountain West.  What they want, is to be in one of the big 5 and the Big 12 is the most appealing to them, since they know they have no chance at the PAC..

80 teams. . . an interesting cut off . . .. would include teams which would have the strongest case in a lawsuit . .. 

8 divisions with 10 teams each split between 4 conferences,  9 conference games with 3 OOC games.. . . .your conference championship game is a defacto quarter final round leaving a 4 team playoff.

I have always thought that attendance was a strong indicator of interest .. . . here is 2011 (last year I can find in this averge attendance per game format)

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FBS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Duke the only curret AQ school left out though if you figured basketabll into the mix, you find a way to include them. . . .using 2013 numbers, UTSA would be in.

I realize attendance not the only qualifier.

Personally I'd like 72 better as now you have 8 conference games, 4 OOC but a minor nitpick. . . .