Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats wrong with UT Baseball?

Coach_B

I know I seem like the Grim Reaper of topics, but what is going on with the UT baseball program? Great pitching, which is always a staple to a Garrido team, but the hitting is atrocious. As I just posted on Twitter, I have seen better hitting at a bar.

Texas fans demand excellence so nothing would surprise us. That being said, Garrido will retire at Texas unless he does something outside of baseball that justifies a termination of services - a la Gustafson. Augie is the man and one heck of a coach. He will get this thing straightened out soon. Texas State vs. Texas tonight at the Disch!

I know I seem like the Grim Reaper of topics, but what is going on with the UT baseball program? Great pitching, which is always a staple to a Garrido team, but the hitting is atrocious. As I just posted on Twitter, I have seen better hitting at a bar.

Does anyone have a little bit of thinking that his style of coaching with small ball might be working against him. He has had a lot of hitters that pound the ball in high school, have dead bats at Texas then get a lot of pop once they get to MLB. Of course there are guys like Curtis Thigpen, Seth Johnston, and others that hit the ball really well.

Sledgehorn, without a doubt, small ball is hurting the program now. I think Augie and Harmon need to open things up a little and let these players swing it. What would it hurt, they can't score now, so if it fails, they are not any worse off.

• Administrators

The pitching has not been atrocious, with the exception of the 15-1 whipping we took at the hands of Stanford. Our guys only score 1 or 2 runs per game consistently and that's it. No doubt we need to let 'em hit away.

• Administrators
Hey, we picked up a nice win tonight! We beat Texas State 6-1! The season is nowhere near over so don't give up on the guys!

Absolutely agree! We have a young team but they are fighters and they are hungry. They'll get in a groove and go on a tear. This Texas State win was huge! TSU has a good team and they are definitely not a bunch of pushovers.

I wouldn't say small ball is hurting this program at all. Texas has not been playing any type of baseball correctly for the majority of the season. Augie ball makes use of smart outs, something we have been sorely lacking for much of the year. Our defense hasn't been sharp enough to qualify us as a proper small ball team either.

This team definitely has some leadership issues, and I think the injuries to Stafford and Walla played a large part in that. The guys let themselves get defeated before the season started, and the rough second weekend in Palo Alto didn't help anything. Tonight was the first night that the freshmen got to see what it means to play a big game at the Disch, in front of a full and noisy crowd. I'm glad they picked it up and hope they can keep it going.

On to Norman, and never forget, ou sucks.

• Administrators
I wouldn't say small ball is hurting this program at all. Texas has not been playing any type of baseball correctly for the majority of the season. Augie ball makes use of smart outs, something we have been sorely lacking for much of the year. Our defense hasn't been sharp enough to qualify us as a proper small ball team either.

This team definitely has some leadership issues, and I think the injuries to Stafford and Walla played a large part in that. The guys let themselves get defeated before the season started, and the rough second weekend in Palo Alto didn't help anything. Tonight was the first night that the freshmen got to see what it means to play a big game at the Disch, in front of a full and noisy crowd. I'm glad they picked it up and hope they can keep it going.

On to Norman, and never forget, ou sucks.

The bats came alive tonight for sure! Everyone except Etier had a hit it looks like. We have the series against OU and then back home for a popper against SFA. Let's delouse our guys before heading into Norman to kick some Sooner butt. Glad to hear the crowd came alive tonight. It can only get better with this team!

Because it's never too premature to take a jab....

ou-face-of-program.jpg

I was speaking with TexasBaseballblog after the game, and I noticed something for the 1st time that I have not seen at all. When Texas comes out to take their position in the top of the 1st inning that meet at the 1st base. Usually they flip the Horns sign and run to their position, well last night they had a little get together at 1st base and they were very vocal. Etier was in the middle really getting every one fired up.

It showed, after French gave up that lead off triple to Sibley-the defense were not going to allowed the runner to score from 3rd. Turning moment in the game?? The Season?? Possibly!

Real question did I get a picture of it-No! I was too stunned to see that kind of emotions in the 1st inning!

I think it's interesting to consider the way everything came together last night. 7,700 people showed up to that game. The team also managed to show up. I think that point in the top of the first when Felts applied the tag was definitely a turning point - 7,700 people remembered what Texas baseball is about and 35 guys got to experience a crowd really being behind them for the first time this season. I can't wait for April to roll around so we can start having our home series in conference play.

• Administrators

While this might be a down year for the club OR it could turn out to be a highly successful season (still a lot of ball left to play), it is never too early to talk about the future. Andy McGuire is a kid I have read a ton about. He is a 2013 Texas commit (shortstop) and a top 50 player nationally and is ranked FIRST in his home state of Virginia. Texas will always have the baseball respect it has earned through a long history of success. We will keep the board updated as frequently as possible with any new baseball recruit news. McGuire has offers to play at MANY other schools as well.

While this might be a down year for the club OR it could turn out to be a highly successful season (still a lot of ball left to play), it is never too early to talk about the future. Andy McGuire is a kid I have read a ton about. He is a 2013 Texas commit (shortstop) and a top 50 player nationally and is ranked FIRST in his home state of Virginia. Texas will always have the baseball respect it has earned through a long history of success. We will keep the board updated as frequently as possible with any new baseball recruit news. McGuire has offers to play at MANY other schools as well.

FJLA and I follow Horns Baseball Recruiting very closely!

• Administrators
FJLA and I follow Horns Baseball Recruiting very closely!

EXCELLENT! It is not my strong point but I get around. I know he is a pitcher also but he seems to have a better future as a shortstop. Darn I'm glad you guys are here! A lot of sites go light on the baseball stuff. I'd like for it to get more attention.

Here is the full list of kids who are in the 2012 class (these are guys who if they don't sign pro contracts will join the program in the Fall)

*Nick Williams OF - Galveston Ball

C.J. Hinojosa INF - Klein Collins

Wyatt Mathisen INF/C - Corpus Christi Calallen

Austin Dean INF - Klein Collins

Spencer Edwards SS/2B - Rockwall

Steve Bean C - Rockwall

Travis Duke LHP - Pearland Dawson

Chad Hollingsworth RHP - Robinson

Holden Helmnick RHP - Conroe Willis

Ty Culbreth LHP/OF - Bryan

Courtney Hawkins OF - Corpus Christi Carroll

Ben Johnson OF - Round Rock Westwood

Tyler Gonzales RHP/SS - San Antonio Madison

#Madison Carter IF – Sherman, TX (Grayson College)

*still technically only a verbal commit as the word is he has yet to sign his LOI - every other kid listed has signed LOI to the University of Texas

#transfer from Grayson College

I can also compile a list if the 2013 kids who've committed so far - which includes McGuire - unless djb wants to do it. : )

Edited by FJLA

Here's the full list of 2013 verbal commits so far (if I'm missing any I'm sure djb can pick me up)

Zane Gurwitz INF/RHP - San Antonio Churchill

Bret Boswell MIF - Rockwall Heath

Trey Ball OF/LHP - New Castle HS (Indiana)

Tres Barrera INF/C - Sharyland

Blake Goins RHP - Pearland

Andy McGuire RHP/SS - James Madison HS (Virginia)

Texas also already has a verbal from Klein Collins Sophomore RHP Jake Jarvis for the 2014 class...

• Administrators
Here's the full list of 2013 verbal commits so far (if I'm missing any I'm sure djb can pick me up)

Texas also already has a verbal from Klein Collins Sophomore RHP Jake Jarvis for the 2014 class...

I am familiar with Goins and have seen him pitch at PHS. Thanks for posting the entire list - you guys need to be sure and hang around! We need good baseball coverage on the site!

Nope you are good FJLA.

As a matter of fact I was at a high school game this evening.

Here are some of my pictures from a WWBA Tournament that took place here in Austin last fall.

You will noticed some future Longhorns that were playing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115944025562323588376/SouthTexasSlidersVsHoustonBanditos

These are pictures from the same tournament but another game. The young man in here is the younger brother of Aaron Williams, former Horn and DB!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115944025562323588376/AustinSlamVsTexasSunDevils

This is from the 2010 WWBA Tournament. If you are not familiar with these-these are the Elite of the elite prep players playing in these tournament.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115944025562323588376/2010WorldWoodBatAssociationWWBASouthQualifier