Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Coach_B

Texas Men's Basketball Program

Is this Rick Barnes best coaching job in all his time here at Texas? If you listen to the national media, they will say yes. In my opinion, I think he has sold this basketball program down a path that I don't think he will be able to bring back. I think Barnes is married to the idea of bringing in "super-star" talen that are 1 and done players just as Kentucky is doing. The problem I see with that philosophy is that Barnes is far from being a Calipari.

Texas was much better when they had the 1 step below super-star type players along with solid role players. They won consistently and made deeper runs in the tournament.

Coach, I think Barnes has done well but not excellent in his tenure at Texas. This year with the talent level being high but experience being low (lot of young players) I think he has done an ok job. Not stellar by any means but ok. I feel with the talent level Texas is able to bring in each year through recruiting, the Longhorn basketball program SHOULD have at least one National Championship in his 14 seasons at UT.

Barnes receives a ton of scrutiny - as he should, but if he were fired could we replace his services with a "bigger and better?" I do not know the answer to that but I think it is worth Texas thinking about.

bbdude, great points. To answer your question, Yes, if Barnes were fired this year, UT could/would have someone better who can take this program to the next level. That coach's name is Buzz Williams of Marquette.

Excellent Coach at Marquette but big enough name to bring to the 40 Acres? Man he was horrific when he coached at UNO but who does have success anywhere in Louisiana unless that school has the initials L.S.U...

Great avatar colonelhorn!!! The question I have for folks, is basketball a Texas a priority? Its Texas, which means first and foremost, FOOTBALL!!! Do they need to get rid of Barnes and Coach G? The womens program is grossly under-performing as well.

Texas is in a position to where they HAVE TO make basketball a priority. Teetering on the edge of greatness during the Rick Barnes era is not enough. If the basketball program were to decline us Longhorn fans would get crazy!

Under performing?? Do you guys not remember the days BEFORE Barnes? UT's basketball program was NON EXISTENT! Yeah, Penders had ONE good team that he parlayed into a couple of good runs, but other than that, UT stunk. Barnes has basically created this program from the ground floor. Last time I checked, we have gone to 14 straight tournaments and won 20 games 13 years in a row. Yes he's had a rough couple of years, but I'm pretty sure that can be said about just about every other UT program at the moment.

Football will always be king at Texas but UT is well-rounded in the 3 major sports. The basketball team is the missing piece. Baseball is excellent most years (and storied), football = ditto, but basketball? Listen, I will take Barnes over this guy any day:

260274_crop_650x440.jpg?1303089968

DC3, is the current standard good enough for the UT faithful? Has Barnes hit his ceiling and is it time for someone new to take it to that next level?

I think it is - for now. Barnes really needs to get more from his players though. With year-in and year-out talent there is no excuse for the voids in the team like we have seen this year.

Under performing?? Do you guys not remember the days BEFORE Barnes? UT's basketball program was NON EXISTENT! Yeah, Penders had ONE good team that he parlayed into a couple of good runs, but other than that, UT stunk. Barnes has basically created this program from the ground floor. Last time I checked, we have gone to 14 straight tournaments and won 20 games 13 years in a row. Yes he's had a rough couple of years, but I'm pretty sure that can be said about just about every other UT program at the moment.

I think it is the lack of a basketball national championship that irks UT fans.

Texas has only won 1 outright Big 12 basketball championship which was followed by Kansas winning the conference tournament which was in 1999. We know NO TEAM from Texas has ever won the conference tournament and those things irk me! Barnes is a good coach and the potential for getting worse increases if we let him go.

Lakeman, I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, I hate it that we haven't broken through yet. It seems like we've taken a u-turn ever since we got that number 1 ranking 2 years ago. But just like Mack, I think Barnes might have missed on a couple of recruits. And how could he count on losing THREE players in the first round last year. I think with the this years frosh and next years incoming group we'll soon find out if it's time to start the search. He at least has earned that much!

Edited by DC3

Let's see where the tournament takes us this year. A 1 and done would not do him any favors. The biggest WTH moment I have was when he said his players wouldn't listen to him. IT'S HIS JOB AS COACH TO MAKE SURE THEY LISTEN TO HIM!

Let's see where the tournament takes us this year. A 1 and done would not do him any favors. The biggest WTH moment I have was when he said his players wouldn't listen to him. IT'S HIS JOB AS COACH TO MAKE SURE THEY LISTEN TO HIM!

I agree with that. I was stunned to hear it. Like he lost control of his team. Time for redemption on Friday!

Maybe I'm wrong but I see this Texas team being one and done. I can't figure out how this team beats Cincy. Let's hope I'm dead wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see this Texas team being one and done. I can't figure out how this team beats Cincy. Let's hope I'm dead wrong.

I can see Texas losing to Cincy but I can also see them making it to the Sweet 16. So many variables come into play. By looking at their bracket there aren't a lot of real strong teams.

What folks don't know is that Rick Barnes is a chameleon. Meaning he does know the fundamentals of basketball but he does not try and change his players to match his style. Instead he finds ways to mold his team around the talents of his best players. A lot of coaches would not even go there. He gives his guys a lot of autonomy - probably more so than they deserve but the product is typically very good. He is nowhere near on the hot seat at Texas. If we were talking football he might be.

What concerns me as was mentioned in a previous post was Barnes comments about his team not listening to him. This is a major Red Flag. Barnes needs to get this program back and quit allowing the inmates run the asylum.

It wouldn't hurt if he would quit brow-beating them for everything and let them spread their wings a little. 2 years ago when they started 17-0 and got to #1, he decided he like how things were going and began to tinker and it blew up in his face.