Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skip Bayless on the Mess in Cleveland with Johnny

cleveland's line isnt that terrible.

and johnny's made a career out of making guys who are bigger/faster/stronger than him look silly.

can he play the same game that he did in college in the pros? no. does he have the ability to adapt his game to be successful? i think so.

Yea. That 1-6 record against ranked teams screams success. As long as Cleveland schedules Rice, Sam Houston, Duke, SMU and at least one FCS school each season, all will be good.

other than LSU, johnny's stats were pretty solid in every game we played.

johnny couldnt help if his defense was atrocious.

i think our record was better than 1-6 against ranked teams in 2012.

By extension, does that mean you think you played seven ranked teams in 2012?

Manziel has not shown the ability to make mature decisions during transitional times in his life. While in high school, as the town's star quarterback he displayed poor decision making skills that resulted in "legal issues." In college, he displayed poor decision making skills that resulted in "legal issues." As Heisman winner, he displayed poor decision making skills that were explained away as his willingly spending days in the hotel room of a stranger signing thousands of autographs simply because someone he didn't know asked him to.

Never has Manziel had to endure critical questions from the sports press. To say Manziel won't yet again display poor decision making skills is naive. He is 21 and not too bright. If you think the sports press will again give him a free pass, you don't understand the sports press at the pro level. Think back on what Jim Rome did to Jim Everett. There are going to be writers looking to get Manziel to do or say something he will regret. If the press turns on Manziel, his natural "f-you" instinct will come out and then it will be a parlor game to get him to blow up.

The odds of Manziel finally having his act together and handling the pressure and press are pretty much zero. Experienced pros on the team who have earned respect aren't going to put up with Manziel's crap, especially if the team struggles (and let's not kid ourselves, we are talking Cleveland).

Can Manziel, for the first time in his life, handle a transitional moment responsibly? Based on his track record, I would bet against it.

gents!  just what on earth is going on here?  it is quite evident that this is an ABC conversation...  but please allow me an interjection!  randolph duke, you of all people should know just how much we love you upon this forum.  but pal, sometimes your statements are just downright monstrous!  JOHNNY MANZIEL, IS JUST A VERY YOUNG albeit VERY GIFTED FOOTBALL PLAYER.. that is trying in earnest to grow up to meet society's norms.. as well as appease his every growing idol worshipers.  JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED!  johnny, is not some "end gamer".  he is just a human being just like all the rest of us.  he has feelings, emotions, pains.. you name it.  YES, johnny is indeed a certified victim as per his own certifiable overzealous circumstances...  but just who the hell are we to judge him, as well as indoctrinate others to scorn him.  

randolph, i have not had the utmost / foremost pleasure of meeting you just yet dear sir.  however, i can only imagine the gratitude vs respect that i would incur upon finally addressing you in person.  however, who's to say that i do not harbor a few profound skeleton's in my closet?  not to mention, yourself.  therefore, i have to say that i find it a bit shocking.. the way an extremely intelligent vs very articulate "statesmen" such as yourself, can continue to espouse such utter vitriol upon such a young and talented johnny manziel.  i have not had the privilege of meeting mr. manziel, nor do i care to constantly acknowledge to others about what the future beholds as per this young man.  but as a proud TEXAN.. i shall step up to the plate and offer the one accolade.. that i am indeed proud of this young and very gifted student of the game.   i wish him as much success that he can accomplish in life.  and yet, upon all actuality, i would wish this exact sentiment, upon any human being.

should you gentlemen that are so very opposed to this young man.. cannot seem to alter your course as per negative sentiment.. then just leave johnny manziel alone, and allow for him to continue to grow.  i for one, would think that this is GOD's main purpose for us all.     

did you watch the SEC media days last year? coming off the tail end of the manning camp saga?

he got grilled there. 

he did pretty well on the wunderlic. 

Take a sample Wonderlic and tell me what grade level you think it is designed for. 

http://samplewonderlictest.com/quiz/full-quiz/take

He is going to be abused by the sports media now he doesn't have the university threatening to restrict access to anyone asking embarrassing questions and that he doesn't have the luxury of avoiding interviews. A lot of writers know Johnny is very immature. They are going to make his life hell. I personally don't think Manziel had the intellect or the experience to handle the situation he has created for himself. 

gents!  just what on earth is going on here?  it is quite evident that this is an ABC conversation...  but please allow me an interjection!  randolph duke, you of all people should know just how much we love you upon this forum.  but pal, sometimes your statements are just downright monstrous!  JOHNNY MANZIEL, IS JUST A VERY YOUNG albeit VERY GIFTED FOOTBALL PLAYER.. that is trying in earnest to grow up to meet society's norms.. as well as appease his every growing idol worshipers.  JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED!  johnny, is not some "end gamer".  he is just a human being just like all the rest of us.  he has feelings, emotions, pains.. you name it.  YES, johnny is indeed a certified victim as per his own certifiable overzealous circumstances...  but just who the hell are we to judge him, as well as indoctrinate others to scorn him.  

randolph, i have not had the utmost / foremost pleasure of meeting you just yet dear sir.  however, i can only imagine the gratitude vs respect that i would incur upon finally addressing you in person.  however, who's to say that i do not harbor a few profound skeleton's in my closet?  not to mention, yourself.  therefore, i have to say that i find it a bit shocking.. the way an extremely intelligent vs very articulate "statesmen" such as yourself, can continue to espouse such utter vitriol upon such a young and talented johnny manziel.  i have not had the privilege of meeting mr. manziel, nor do i care to constantly acknowledge to others about what the future beholds as per this young man.  but as a proud TEXAN.. i shall step up to the plate and offer the one accolade.. that i am indeed proud of this young and very gifted student of the game.   i wish him as much success that he can accomplish in life.  and yet, upon all actuality, i would wish this exact sentiment, upon any human being.

should you gentlemen that are so very opposed to this young man.. cannot seem to alter your course as per negative sentiment.. then just leave johnny manziel alone, and allow for him to continue to grow.  i for one, would think that this is GOD's main purpose for us all.     

Johnny Manziel is entering the world of professional entertainment. It is a difficult business. Those who have been successful professional quarterbacks in today's game have learned to minimize distractions, not to make themselves targets of what is unquestionably a voracious press and to focus their energies on playing football at the NFL level. Manziel has chosen to take a different approach. 

In America, the public loves to build up heroes and tear them down. In the NFL, there are a large number of athletes who have earned respect and who have proven themselves on the field. There are also a large number of them who wish to make themselves known for delivering spectacular hits on young players who believe they are superstars by virtue of their off filed persona. Johnny Manziel is going to be a trophy for defensive players wanting to make highlight reels. He is going to be a trophy for sports reporters wanting to get under his skin and cause him to say or do something not in his best interests. 

Johnny Manziel entered the NFL just seconds after his name was announced on draft day by walking on the stage and before even shaking the commissioner's hand, doing his "cash out" sign and drawing attention to him. Not to the team, not to the league, no deference to the commissioner. He again chose the role of the clown. 

Manziel is a lot of things but media savvy, polished, respectful or mature are rarely used to describe him. He is essentially an undisciplined kid from a backwoods town and a backwoods school. None of his accomplishments at the college level are going to matter at the NFL level. He is going to have to grow up quickly and based on what we have seen from when he entered tamu to when he left, he didn't do much growing up. I don't think he handles life in the NFL well. My guess is the pressure starts to get to him, he starts drinking again and retreats back into his "f-you" mentality and it spirals downhill from there. 

Meh i think you underestimate the amount of scrutiny he got whole at A&M. I think he's about as prepared as a 21 year old can be to enter into the NFL as far as dealing with the challenges of celebrity go.

Time will certainly tell, but I think hell be fine.

lol.

Yea. Manziel faced scrutiny while at Texas A&M. Which is why he matured and became the impressive individual he is today. Such a refreshing change from the example set by other recent NFL quarterbacks who grew up in Texas such as Andrew Luck or Andy Dalton. 

I am afraid that this young man is a train wreck waiting to happen.  I wish it were not so.  I do not even want to watch.  The consternation that will ensue in College Station, Kerville, and Tyler will be epic.  Considering what I have read of this young man and the soap opera that is his family, I really just do not care.  As far as I am concerned, he should just do his thing and crater or whatever.  He is a very good example of why I do not care for professional sports.  What a peg to hang your hat on Aggies!