Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chris. . ..we are not "one of the most profitable". . . .we are THE most profitable. . .

We also started Chris Simms and David Ash as freshmen with mixed results for us but far better than Cal. . .which frankly is not a good example. . .

Frankly if we have to go with Heard (who I think passes Swoopes like he's standing still. . .just one guys opinion) and given the talent on D and RB . .. I think we are no worse than we are from last year.. . . Heard is  really good. . . .this isn't Vince who couldn't hit water throwing out of a boat as a freshman. . . 

And he can run. . .though I suspect so can Swoopes. . . .Watson had Bridgewater as a true freshman (granted comp wasn't the same) and had him in the top half of the nation with a very respectable 132 QB ranking. . . . 

Now there is no question, we appear to be in "bus driver" mode for QB this year. . .so I don't see us being much better than last year. . .

I even mentioned that Cal wasn't the greatest example but it was the most successful true freshman quarterback in NCAA FBS for 2013. Now Sonny Dykes has a ton of work to do building back up Cal but Charlie Strong is a defensive oriented coach. He can bring along Jerrod Heard this season and rely on the running game and defense to win ball games. Now that means 6-6 or 8-4 season but I do believe Longhorns fans would be okay with that as long as they see improvements within the system. 

Chris. . ..we are not "one of the most profitable". . . .we are THE most profitable. . .

We also started Chris Simms and David Ash as freshmen with mixed results for us but far better than Cal. . .which frankly is not a good example. . .

Frankly if we have to go with Heard (who I think passes Swoopes like he's standing still. . .just one guys opinion) and given the talent on D and RB . .. I think we are no worse than we are from last year.. . . Heard is  really good. . . .this isn't Vince who couldn't hit water throwing out of a boat as a freshman. . . 

And he can run. . .though I suspect so can Swoopes. . . .Watson had Bridgewater as a true freshman (granted comp wasn't the same) and had him in the top half of the nation with a very respectable 132 QB ranking. . . . 

Now there is no question, we appear to be in "bus driver" mode for QB this year. . .so I don't see us being much better than last year. . .

echeese, I have to agree with you and I'd be willing to say I think Texas will be in better shape this year with Heard as the back up.

I think Heard as a true freshman is better than McCoy as a senior.

As to weather of not he starts, which I'd be fine with, I'd have to believe that if Ash is healthy he'll be the starter but given his propensity to injury Heard should see significant playing time. 

echeese, I have to agree with you and I'd be willing to say I think Texas will be in better shape this year with Heard as the back up.

I think Heard as a true freshman is better than McCoy as a senior.

As to weather of not he starts, which I'd be fine with, I'd have to believe that if Ash is healthy he'll be the starter but given his propensity to injury Heard should see significant playing time. 

I like David Ash. He's a good, kind young man who would make any father proud. However, his injuries are a red flag for football success. We are seeing more and more in College football that freshman, true or redshirt, can compete at the highest level. David Goff for Cal and Christian Hackenberg for Penn State. More and more programs are relying on true freshman to contribute, especially at QB. 

Swoopes is a project for Watson, I think Watson wants to see if he can get him to be a QB so he will redshirt. Heard can throw to keep teams honest with his running. Ash will want to scramble as well. If Ash goes down for a couple of plays, can Swoopes try to win the game for Texas? I don't think so. Heard can IMO.