Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

I am hoping that on this site we do not have to speak in code.

If anyone knows the reason would you please tell us?

Bear I do not know the reason for sure but obviously the staff had a change of heart. Also Wittek wanted to play in a more wide open offense and get exposure to enter the NFL draft next year maybe our offense changed his mind or the staff did not like that he was planning on playing only one year. But who knows

Not really surprising in my opinion. Texas is in the ball game for several other QBs in this recruiting class. Can't waste a scholarship on a transfer QB unless you are positive that they are a fit (since you only get them for two years). I knew once Gentry committed this was likely. Texas really likes LocksLey and a couple other QB options. It's not coincidence that this news was released shortly after the Gentry commitment. 

Bear I do not know the reason for sure but obviously the staff had a change of heart. Also Wittek wanted to play in a more wide open offense and get exposure to enter the NFL draft next year maybe our offense changed his mind or the staff did not like that he was planning on playing only one year. But who knows

Thanks MB.

Well that sucks! I'm beginning to starting to believe that Jerrod Heard will have to play as a true freshman.

Texas is backing away from USC’s Wittek

It’s been widely assumed that USC quarterback Max Wittek would graduate this month and then transfer to Texas. That doesn’t appear to be the case anymore.

A source close to the situation told the American-Statesman on Wednesday that the Longhorns are backing away from offering Wittek a scholarship for undisclosed reasons, thereby allowing him a chance to land somewhere else.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Horns247.com also reported that Wittek was not expected to enroll in June as planned.

Wittek could not be reached for comment, and it appears he has deleted his Twitter account. Since he has not enrolled yet in a graduate program at Texas, school officials cannot comment on his status, per NCAA recruiting rules.

Wittek was thought to be practically signed, sealed and delivered. He and his parents have visited Austin multiple times, and Wittek was at Texas’ spring game on April 19. He would have two years of eligibility remaining.

Running backs coach Tommie Robinson, who coached at USC last season, personally handled Wittek’s recruitment. Back in February, members of the coaching staff excitedly huddled around a speakerphone because they thought Wittek would pull the trigger and make a commitment.

Instead, he told the coaches that day he would be looking at other schools. It’s been reported that Wittek visited Hawaii and had previously considered Louisville and Pittsburgh. Still, many speculated that Wittek has always been leaning toward Texas.

“I want to make sure I see a couple more places to make sure the decision is the right one because there is really no second chance,†Wittek told the American-Statesman in February.

Now that it appears Wittek is not coming, the Texas quarterback situation is fairly clear — albeit thin. David Ash enters the fall classified as a junior, now that his medical redshirt waiver has been approved. Tyrone Swoopes will be a sophomore, and Jerrod Heard will be an incoming freshman.

Ash’s health will be an ongoing storyline all season. It’s unclear how he’ll react to being hit after missing most of last season with concussion symptoms.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/college-football/source-texas-is-backing-away-from-uscs-wittek/nfw7S/?icmp=statesman_internallink_textlink_apr2013_statesmanstubtomystatesman_launch#e69aea3d.3703420.735367

Max Wittek unlikely to join Longhorns

Updated: May 14, 2014, 8:42 PM ET

By Joe Schad | ESPN

Former USC quarterback Max Wittek is not expected to transfer to Texas, a source confirmed Wednesday night.

An off-the-field circumstance could possibly lead to a delay in Wittek's graduation and gaining immediate eligibility, another source said.

The Austin American-Statesman reported earlier Wednesday that Texas was "backing away from offering Max Wittek for undisclosed reasons."

Among the schools Wittek has been interested in are TexasLouisville and Hawaii.

Max Wittek unlikely to join Longhorns

Updated: May 14, 2014, 8:42 PM ET

By Joe Schad | ESPN

Former USC quarterback Max Wittek is not expected to transfer to Texas, a source confirmed Wednesday night.

An off-the-field circumstance could possibly lead to a delay in Wittek's graduation and gaining immediate eligibility, another source said.

The Austin American-Statesman reported earlier Wednesday that Texas was "backing away from offering Max Wittek for undisclosed reasons."

Among the schools Wittek has been interested in are TexasLouisville and Hawaii.

An off-the-field circumstance. Hmmmm.

If he's a one and done guy. . .certainly can see why that is not attractive to our staff . .

Not sure how being coached by Watson hurt Bridgewater but who knows. . . .

Sadly, I have little faith in a great kid in Ash being able to go 13 games so it's the Swoopes and Heard show from here. . . .

Would have loved to shirt Heard. . . frankly had Max come. . .and Ash been healthy, would have loved to shirt both but it is what it is. . .

Could he have been a walk on at UT?

I thought he had to graduate before he could transfer even as a walk on. Maybe I am confused.

He could have been a walk on at Texas, but because he had problems with his graduation, he would have to sit out 2014 before becoming eligible for his last year in 2015, just as he will have to do at Hawaii.  In effect, if he pays his own way, he gets a work around for the graduation issue.  I would imagine that Texas feels like that by 2015 they will have righted the ship regarding their quarterback depth chart ... this last part is just conjecture on my part, though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24606042/report-max-wittek-could-walk-on-at-hawaii