Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scipio Tex article on the Big 12

MBHORNSFAN

One of the best writers out there dropping dimes on the reality of the shit show of the Big 12.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/5/12/5710080/2014-nfl-draft-by-conference-the-big-12-is-awful-edition

Interesting POV from Scipio Tex, but what's the solution?

We're locked into the Big 12 until, what, 2025 with our signed Grant of Rights?  Or does that change once the Maryland-ACC lawsuit gets settled?  Who knows what happens if/when the P5 breaks away from the NCAA?

I don't want UT to make a decision of this magnitude based on a knee-jerk reaction to the 2014 NFL Draft.  

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

Let us look at it the way one should: how well does the Big 12 fare against other conferences on the field? In the polls? in the NC game? In the bowl games? In terms of fan entertainment?

To base a diss the Big 12  story based upon one year of the NFL draft is absurd to me. What are we? Farm teams for the NFL? Or colleges fielding football teams for the sport and entertainment of the fans?

Am I disappointed we had no players drafted? Of course. But I would point out that Alabama had none in 2008. Where was the bitching about Saban and his failure?

While we should be concerned if the bad year becomes a trend, I think people are overreacting to this.

As for the Big 12: we are fine right now, but of course it will ultimately have to change. The whole setup is going to change, and it needs to. But it will take a lot of time, and probably some legislation from Congress, to do it right. In the meantime, if we win the Big 12 and are undefeated, we have as good a chance at the national championship game as anyone. (except maybe a similar team from the SEC, which has a leg up for now). Might even do it with a loss.

And the money keeps rolling in.

I agree with bcherry.  All this hand wringing and gnashing of the teeth is crazy and somewhat childish.  The Big XII wasn't at it's best this season but it was much better last season...and the season before.  Most of the top QBs (as well as other skill positions)  in the nation played in the Big XII and most graduated at about the same time. Hence not as many to graduate and get drafted this year.  It takes a year or two for the  teams to rebuild and that will happen and the Big XII will be better.

So many people on the boards complain that the Big XII schedule is boring because all we play is Baylor, Okie State, etc.  Even though many of the teams that we downplay and think of as boring have played some pretty good football the last few years and were on the national stage.  We're just bringing in our "old" biases because they weren't as good when we were growing up.  Then we state un-categorically that high school recruits would never want to play for Big XII teams because they're no good.  But you can't think that 17-18 years olds will bring in the same old biases as you...they weren't even alive back then.  What they really know is what happened the last 3-4 years, not 20 years ago.

What I like about the Big XII is that year in and year out there will be some good, highly ranked teams (not just Texas and OU).  They may not always be the same teams but they will be there. But with a smaller number of teams it also frees us up to play a tougher OOC schedule.  That way we're not as tied down to play as many of the crap teams that just about every conference has.

all of these things run in cycles.  i cannot believe that concept is so hard for people to grasp.  it wasn't that long ago that alabama was in the ditch and the toast of the nation was the big 12.  

this henny penny hysteria needs to stop.

scipio is a good writer, but he's in love with his own words and spends way too much time stirring the pot.

P!ssing on Texas and the Big 12 seems to be en vogue over at SB lately. Wescott has been channeling his inner aggy to the point I have quit reading anything he is writing. Scipio seems to forget there was a time when the Big East owned basketball and 20 years later it no longer exists. Things go in cycles. I'm more interested in whether Aereo litigation will affect the value of conference broadcast deals and force realignment of college along economic considerations or what was discussed in Arizona at the meetings last week. Instead, we get more piling on and rehashing what we have known for months.

I attribute a lot of articles like this to off season laziness. People need to publish. I do agree this isn't one of Scipio's better pieces.

P!ssing on Texas and the Big 12 seems to be en vogue over at SB lately. Wescott has been channeling his inner aggy to the point I have quit reading anything he is writing. Scipio seems to forget there was a time when the Big East owned basketball and 20 years later it no longer exists. Things go in cycles. I'm more interested in whether Aereo litigation will affect the value of conference broadcast deals and force realignment of college along economic considerations or what was discussed in Arizona at the meetings last week. Instead, we get more piling on and rehashing what we have known for months.

I attribute a lot of articles like this to off season laziness. People need to publish. I do agree this isn't one of Scipio's better pieces.

Right on the money. 

all of these things run in cycles.  i cannot believe that concept is so hard for people to grasp.  it wasn't that long ago that alabama was in the ditch and the toast of the nation was the big 12.  

this henny penny hysteria needs to stop.

scipio is a good writer, but he's in love with his own words and spends way too much time stirring the pot.

So very very true.

So many people on the boards complain that the Big XII schedule is boring because all we play is Baylor, Okie State, etc.  Even though many of the teams that we downplay and think of as boring have played some pretty good football the last few years and were on the national stage.  We're just bringing in our "old" biases because they weren't as good when we were growing up. 

IMHO, the only Big12 games that are remotely "boring" are KU and Iowa St.....at DKR.

Jayhawks & Cyclones have given UT - and most everybody else - fits at home!  Stop taking shit from your aggie friends about the perceived "quality" of the Big12!  Remind those clowns that they averaged 6th Place as members!

UT will be fine regardless of what happens in CFB realignment.  The merry-go-round won't stop spinnin', so let's get used to the ride.  TV and money will determine when it stops.

We're Texas, dammit!  

Scipio is guilty of the same thing he accuse the Texas administration of doing. He's making decisions and assumptions based on the short term. You can't assume that what we have today is going to be anything like what will be in a few years. I believe the musical chairs re: conference realignment may prove to have been a mad scramble for nothing - nothing but greed, fear and insecurity (I'm looking at you, aggy).

The end game could be a complete remake of big-time college football. The power conferences + Notre Dame, Byu,  break away and form a new association and redraw the conference/divisions to reflect an expanded playoff scenario. The new boundaries would be more like the NFL and try to recapture some of the lost rivalries. As I've said before, 8 regional conferences of 9 teams each would play each other and 4 OOC from the other 7 conferences. Then, on what is currently CCG weekend you have bi-conference games at which 1 team gets to host. That trims the field down to 4 and we use the same format as is in place for the 4 team playoff currently.

There is still A LOT of money left on the table for a true CFB playoff. The 65-70 schools that make up those with a seat at the big-boys table need to wrest control of the post season from ESPN and the NCAA and make this happen. March Madness makes about a BILLION dollars per year for the member schools (TV rights, tickets, concessions, licensing, etc.). Think what a true CFB playoff would bring in.