Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jones Bone Fractures

I recently did some research into the "Jones Bone" fracture that David Ash is currently recovering from. For my fellow HornSports members with a Bachelor of Science, the Jones Bone fracture is a proximal junctional metaphyseal/diaphyseal fracture of the fifth metatarsal. Essentially it's a break in the very base of your pinky toe.

While "a break in the very base of your pinky toe" may not sound so bad here's an image of the screw placement involved with a Jones Bones surgery.  

post-5992-0-53459500-1399487176_thumb.jpg

This is not really my field of study, but some very fine Houston podiatric physicians have preferred surgery over a more conservative method.  The reasoning being the time it normally takes to heal - which could be up to 6-8 months if treated conservatively..  However, Ash's Jones fracture type is really unknown and his heal time may be abbreviated over the norm.  Let's hope so.

Given the estimates for JG's recovery and his mid-June return per C Strong, I refuse to doubt Ash's recovery time. The 20 year old body is far superior to a 30 year old body. :-)

Hook 'em!

Given the estimates for JG's recovery and his mid-June return per C Strong, I refuse to doubt Ash's recovery time. The 20 year old body is far superior to a 30 year old body. :-)

Hook 'em!

I'll bet you're right. I recently heard that David Ash had this fracture during his stand out performance in that spring scrimmage. The next scheduled work-out he went to the training staff and said "will you check my ankle... it's been bugging me a little"

I was diagnosed with the same thing as David my freshman year in high school. I had the surgery. I rehabbed about 5 months and the pain came back. They then daignosed I had an Os Trigorum (sp?) and that it had fractured due to the prior surgery. They had missed that. An Os Trigorum is an extra bone in the foot, usually small and you don't want it to break because it can't be fixed and for some reason is more painful than other breaks in the foot. Something like 5% of us have an Os Trigorum.

I hope David doesn't have this because he may be done.

oK, cue the extra chromosome jokes on Shevis.

I was diagnosed with the same thing as David my freshman year in high school. I had the surgery. I rehabbed about 5 months and the pain came back. They then daignosed I had an Os Trigorum (sp?) and that it had fractured due to the prior surgery. They had missed that. An Os Trigorum is an extra bone in the foot, usually small and you don't want it to break because it can't be fixed and for some reason is more painful than other breaks in the foot. Something like 5% of us have an Os Trigorum.

I hope David doesn't have this because he may be done.

oK, cue the extra chromosome jokes on Shevis.

Shevis, don't feel like the Lone Stranger.  I have a similar small bone in my wrist behind my thumb.  I broke it in a fall while climbing over wet leaves on boulders in the rain.  It is a tiny little bone and it was the most painful break I have ever had including several bones in my feet and two breaks in my lower legs.  Despite the oddities of our particular situations,  I'll bet that Ash will be just fine.. Why else would Coach have been so positive in reporting his recovery time?

By the way, I have an extra thoracic vertebrae and pair of ribs ... I boxed golden gloves, so whenever other kids made fun of me for it, I just schmacked them upside they punkin haides! ... End of problem!  Here, I guess you gotta schmack them upside they punkin haides with words.  Either that, or tell on them to Feeley.  He'll set'em straight! ;)