Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Landscape Thread - Blues and Borders!

SHA, quick yard question. I have a downward slopped from yard of St Augustine grass. Replaced dead spots two years ago, but the exact spots have died off again. This starts behind a small/medium oak which shades in the AM (house faces East), but Early afternoon sun hits it hard before the sun moves West behind my two story. I've heard the sun reflection from my front windows might be burning out these spots, or the tree might be sucking up the water. Is this worth replacing before the heat of summer? Will adding topsoil and seed do the trick or is sod a necessity? Don't want to waste time/money if I should ride out the summer. I guess my "quick yard question" was a misnomer! Thanks for any advice you can dish out my friend. I live in Leander just to let you know this is a Texas Summer issue.

I wouldn't hesitate to sod again. However, I would not simply repeat your average sod job. I would do some things that will help make it work.

1. I think you're right on that being a "hot spot" and it could be telling you it really needs more water than it's getting. I would "up" the time on that zone. There are some other things that can be done that I will go into in the next Landscape Thread (coming in a couple days!).

2. I would lay down some spongy peat moss after stripping everything off the slope. Follow with a layer of topsoil or compost. Then scatter expanded shale all over the area to be sodded. Then wet the area in small sections as you go. Do it in small sections so you don't make a muddy mess. The objective is to have the surface wet when you lay the sod for better adhesion.

3. Before we dismiss this issue, this location could also just be a favorite spot for grub worms. They will damage a lawn badly if left untreated. It could also be chinch bugs at work. It depends on what the look of the turf is when it's dying as to which of those could be responsible.

There's a product that I'll be talking about in the next landscape thread that you'll be particularly interested in. FYI.

I wouldn't hesitate to sod again. However, I would not simply repeat your average sod job. I would do some things that will help make it work.

1. I think you're right on that being a "hot spot" and it could be telling you it really needs more water than it's getting. I would "up" the time on that zone. There are some other things that can be done that I will go into in the next Landscape Thread (coming in a couple days!).

2. I would lay down some spongy peat moss after stripping everything off the slope. Follow with a layer of topsoil or compost. Then scatter expanded shale all over the area to be sodded. Then wet the area in small sections as you go. Do it in small sections so you don't make a muddy mess. The objective is to have the surface wet when you lay the sod for better adhesion.

3. Before we dismiss this issue, this location could also just be a favorite spot for grub worms. They will damage a lawn badly if left untreated. It could also be chinch bugs at work. It depends on what the look of the turf is when it's dying as to which of those could be responsible.

There's a product that I'll be talking about in the next landscape thread that you'll be particularly interested in. FYI.

Thanks for the expertise, appreciate the info.