Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What If.....

• Administrators

What if I told you the basketball recruiting commitment train might not be over just yet. In state guard looking at pulling the trigger 2015 class. Waiting for more info

For those of you that don't know him...if shaunsters says it, take it to the bank. 

I'll defer to the bball experts. . . .. 

Can Barnes build a team in the next 2-3 years to win a title?

No offense but Natty's are the STANDARD at TEXAS .. .  .

If yes, why?   If no, who do we get to put us over the top?

Am I correct . .. men's basketball is the ONLY sports program with zero natty's???

Am I correct . .. men's basketball is the ONLY sports program with zero natty's???

National championships are the standard? that's nuts.

goal, wish, desire, hope...sure. but standard? nope. since the polls began in 1936 football has 4. were all the other years  worthless? not to me.

The little I can see of his game from that video, and with that haircut, he kind of reminds me of Luke Axtell.  Of course, Luke was five inches taller.  Luke was pretty good in his day.  Again, from the little I can see from the video, Grandstaff look to be pretty good on offense.

goal, wish, desire, hope...sure. but standard? nope. since the polls began in 1936 football has 4. were all the other years  worthless? not to me.

Strawman. . . .a logical fallacy. . . . .an argument based on an misrepresentation of an opponent’s position. It’s called a strawman because the person sets up a false point (the strawman) that the original arguer never made and expends all his energy attacking it, instead of the actual premises of the original argument.

Who said all other years were worthless. . ????

It is the standard for football . ..face it. . .without a Natty .. . CS will be inferior to Mack. . . .

Baseball .. . Women's VBall. . . .Swimming & Diving .. . Track. . . 

All these sports are built around winning a Natty .. . .

But I will leave it at we have different standards I guess .. . . 

;)

Maybe echeese is overstating his premise, streettoprechel.  I agree with you that we should strongly desire national championships, but no sports team at any university can have that as their standard.  It is too much of a crap shoot to think that that is your standard.  Also, it seems to me that we should sit back and enjoy the next two or three years in men's basketball.  Looks to me that we are trending pretty well. 

It is interesting to me that even when we are trending well, that somebody has to still reflect the last downswing.  Downswings and upswings are natural.. Of course you want to minimize the former and emphasize the later if at all possible.  But, to continue to want to talk about who we might be able to get if we can get rid of our present coach, when, in fact, our present coach may be looking forward to the brightest days of his tenure at Texas, as well as possibly the brightest days of Texas basketball ever  Well, that seems to me to represent a rather gloomy outlook and just plain old unneccesary, to boot.  I just cannot go there. 

Some have said, in the past, before this turnaround, that Coach Barnes just can't get Texas over some perceived hump, to the promised land of the "next level".  Well, I do not know about that, but I do know that there are probably quite a few universities with basketball teams that have historically performed at a higher level than Texas that would be happy, if it were possible,  to change rosters, incoming players, and coaches with Texas over the next three years.  I guess that my belief is that this is the wrong question at the wrong time.  I think Coach Barnes recently turned sixty.  Even if he decided to retire after what looks to be perhaps a pretty good run over the next three years or so, the entire coaching landscape could be quite different by then, even if it were as soon as three years.  I think that I will just wait until such consideration is indeed warranted.  Until then, I will continue licking my chops over the possibilities for next year.

PS,

Let me re-state. . .for the basketball guys.(Barnes sycophants seem to have spoken) . .how does this signing impact our game in 2015?   

What will be different. . . ..what does Turner add to our mix?

And for the record. . .I believe that men's basketball is our sole athletic program without a natty . .. I did not say (another assumed strawman) we win a natty every year but there is  a GLARING hole in our trophy case .. . our HC has been here 17 years and is paid Top 15 money (likely soon to be top 10 again). . .

Is it really too much to hold men's basketball to the same standard as every other program on campus?     Face it. . . we haven't even gone to the Sweet 16 in this decade. . . which isn't even BcS bowl level. . . .more like Cotton Bowl or Peach. . . .

but thanks budreau. . . for at least addressing the issue . . ..good thoughts. . . 

Strawman. . . .a logical fallacy. . . . .an argument based on an misrepresentation of an opponent’s position. It’s called a strawman because the person sets up a false point (the strawman) that the original arguer never made and expends all his energy attacking it, instead of the actual premises of the original argument.

Who said all other years were worthless. . ????

It is the standard for football . ..face it. . .without a Natty .. . CS will be inferior to Mack. . . .

Baseball .. . Women's VBall. . . .Swimming & Diving .. . Track. . . 

All these sports are built around winning a Natty .. . .

But I will leave it at we have different standards I guess .. . . 

;)

I think you are misstating your premise.  You say here, "All these sports are built around winning a natty ...".  You said before, "... Natty's are the STANDARD at TEXAS ...".  Those statements are not the same.  I do not think that anybody is saying that we would not have high standards.  I, at least, am saying that performing at a very high level should be expected, with the hope that there are some championships of the conference as well as the national variety liberally sprinkled in there.  But, to assume that a coach should be replaced if he or she does not win a national championship when their teams have otherwise performed well, is just not realistic.  If that were the standard, we would not have any coaches in any sports.

Sycophant:  "a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage"

and for good measure ...

Obsequious:  "obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree."

Echeese, only three people have responded to your post so far, JimR, streettopeschel, and me.  I do not think any of us are sycophants toward anybody and I do not see any of our responses as obsequious.  I cannot speak for the others, but perhaps the quick and succinct nature of web forum posting may be creating a false sense of confrontation here.  Just to be clear, I do not care for the "We need to get rid of so and so ..."  discussions, or perhaps I should refer to them as rants.  You made a post  proposing discussion on how the basketball program should move forward since Coach Barnes has not reached an assumed standard - winning a National Championship.  Your proposal supposes what, I think, and, I think JimR and streettopeschel think, is an unrealistic premise.  Speaking for myself, only, I do not think you can realistically expect that winning a National Championship is a standard that anyone could realistically achieve.  It can, however, be a realistic goal toward which all programs should aspire.  I am not attacking you or what you said.  I AM, however, suggesting to you that when the first three responders to your post seem to be taking issue with the same point, you might want to rethink your proposal for discussion.  I have no desire to discuss who should replace Coach Barnes under the supposition that he has not done a good job.  If you changed your premise to be that Coach might decide to retire or he might take a different job, so who might replace him ... well then, I might not want to participate in such an exercise, but I would surely be interested in what people thought.  Maybe the idea of what the goals for our basketball team should realistically be another valid discussion.  Just maybe, they might need to be decoupled.

And please, calling people names, even if using a name as sophisticated as "sycophant" does engender discussion.  Unless, of course, it is meant with the greatest spirit of humor.  And, take it from me - one who has tried this many to many times - that the humor route quite often fails miserably,   You old curmudgeon you!  ;)  Sorry, I could not resist that.

PS,

Let me re-state. . .for the basketball guys.(Barnes sycophants seem to have spoken) . .how does this signing impact our game in 2015?   

What will be different. . . ..what does Turner add to our mix?

And for the record. . .I believe that men's basketball is our sole athletic program without a natty . .. I did not say (another assumed strawman) we win a natty every year but there is  a GLARING hole in our trophy case .. . our HC has been here 17 years and is paid Top 15 money (likely soon to be top 10 again). . .

Is it really too much to hold men's basketball to the same standard as every other program on campus?     Face it. . . we haven't even gone to the Sweet 16 in this decade. . . which isn't even BcS bowl level. . . .more like Cotton Bowl or Peach. . . .

but thanks budreau. . . for at least addressing the issue . . ..good thoughts. . . 

I am not anyone's sycophant, and more folks than I told you having a NC as the standard is nuts. that means anything less is a bad season because the standard was not achieved. a NC is not the standard for any sport, including football, anywhere, including UT..