Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SEC Mandates Major Out of Conference Games

It looks like the schedules in the SEC could be a little more challenging in the coming years. The SEC is now mandating that each SEC team schedule an opponent from either the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or PAC 12 as one of their out of conference games in the future. They can also schedule Notre Dame in lieu of scheduling an opponent from one of the four listed conferences. Some of the schools are unhappy with the decision, LSU being one of them. However it appears LSU was simply looking for the SEC to adopt a 9-Game Conference schedule, rather than the 8-Game schedule they're currently operating under. 

Source: SEC Schedule Change

I wouldn't be surprised if Texas A&M is one of the schools unhappy with the new mandate. As they're one of the four teams that doesn't have a major out of conference game this upcoming season. It will be interesting to see what kind of effect, if any, this will have on the Lone Star Showdown. 

They play Florida State every year...and alternate home and away...so...yeah...

What's to prevent those other schools from saying "no" when the SEC comes calling?

Also, will this "mandate" mean Florida will play an away OOC game for the first time in 30+ years?

A&M's OOC schedule has been terrible because of the move to the SEC. not enough time to get decent teams on the schedule. 

we've got arizona state in 2015, UCLA in 2016/2017, and oregon in 2018/2019 set up. 

there was a lot of talk about how sumlin and strong tried to get a game scheduled for 2013 (both had an open date) but couldnt get the logistics worked out. 

What's to prevent those other schools from saying "no" when the SEC comes calling?

Also, will this "mandate" mean Florida will play an away OOC game for the first time in 30+ years?

Lost revenue. The likelihood of all 40+ teams saying no is pretty unrealistic. 

They rejected the 9 game conference schedule. This 'mandate' looks like a PR move to distract from that point.

Couldn't agree more. But I enjoy every opportunity to see an SEC team humbled by an OOC opponent. 

Eh, could be much ado about nothing.

Schedule Kansas, Illinois or Indiana, NC State. 

Tis true, sadly.

A&M's OOC schedule has been terrible because of the move to the SEC. not enough time to get decent teams on the schedule. 

we've got arizona state in 2015, UCLA in 2016/2017, and oregon in 2018/2019 set up. 

there was a lot of talk about how sumlin and strong tried to get a game scheduled for 2013 (both had an open date) but couldnt get the logistics worked out. 

I don't know if I buy into the time argument. I guarantee you they could have found somebody better than SFA. But regardless, they do have some interesting teams on their upcoming schedule.

Lost revenue. The likelihood of all 40+ teams saying no is pretty unrealistic. 

Couldn't agree more. But I enjoy every opportunity to see an SEC team humbled by an OOC opponent. 

Tis true, sadly.

I don't know if I buy into the time argument. I guarantee you they could have found somebody better than SFA. But regardless, they do have some interesting teams on their upcoming schedule.

Exactly what revenue is being lost if the schools already get deals based on the conference? Texas isn't "losing" revenue, for example, by not playing Kentucky. Similarly, would the "bottom feeders" of the Big 5 really want to get killed by Alabama just for $500,000? That's what mid-major conferences do. And yes, I realize the chance of every school saying no is unrealistic and not probable. My pointing out that schools can just say no is more hypothetical if anything.

I don't think this will be as easy as the SEC thinks it will be, especially if SEC school demand and 2 for 1. 

And I wouldn't put it past these SEC schools to try to make these game neutral sites instead of home/home too.