Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire: Give Me 20

Any news on Steve Patterson's long term plans for overhauling the Basketball Program?

Also, I know it has been said that it is not very high on the priority list time wise, but is there any scuttlebutt on where the new basketball venue will be located? 

Not that it is the best solution, but my guess is that it will be a multi-function facility created as a joint effort with the University, the City of Austin and maybe a little side action with the State of Texas, located at the Austin-American Statesman location south of Town Lake.  I suspect that it will have a Twenty-five thousand plus person capacity or more so Austin can get a future national political convention, tied in with the Convention Center facilities on the north side of the Lake and hotels new and existing on both sides of the Lake.  The facility will be connected to the campus area by the new light rail line that is proposed, running alongside the Waller Creek development corridor.  This is a complicated deal, and because of that and the fact that that the need for the Erwin Center site will not be immediate because of the long time line for the Medical School Complex, there will be a long term time line for this project.  People who want a smaller basketball only facility will not get that because of the perceived need for greater convention facilities, and the greater good of a more glorious long term urban design Grand Plan for downtown Austin that you and I may not care about, but is very important to some folks that just so happen to have more say in such matters than you and I do.  Also, if it is designed correctly, there is nothing that says that a larger facility could not be designed to be re-configured for basketball with a lesser, more intimate capacity and a greater capacity arrangement for Final Fours and such.  Since, this is a slow time of the year, I am throwing this out there for discussion at your convenience and at your leisure. ;)

Postscript - This has to be worth at least four to six topics ... since we are in the slow season and all ...  ;)

although, we may have now entered into the realm, as per this particularly dark expanse, always referred to as the "slow season"... we still carry our heads, indeed upon our shoulders.

Q  "swagmatism" apparently originated right out of college station, tx.  however, it now seems,  that this once burgeoning trend, is starting to fade a bit. this of course, shall be due to the ever growing and yet alleged crimes, being perpetrated upon this town, as per an increasing allotment of gridiron members courtesy of atm.  darrell, do you believe that, in lieu of all of the negative national press, negative tweets and statements, as well as slowing recruitment efforts, that kevin sumlin, shall now try to reign in his "swag" style, and start actually trying to become a football coach again, the way he was in houston, tx?     

Q  am i the only one, that finds it quite disturbing, that no matter what message steve patterson espouses, regarding not wanting to enter upon the field of play once again as per atm... charlie strong, completely contradicts this particular message, with his own not so subtle nuances, "that he would enjoy revisiting the intrastate rivalry, that is (texas vs atm) ... darrell, do you foresee a future "clash of the titans" as per this often controversial, and yet high profile issue between these two gentlemen?

Q  darrell, just whom shall myles turner pick?

although, we may have now entered into the realm, as per this particularly dark expanse, always referred to as the "slow season"... we still carry our heads, indeed upon our shoulders.

Q  "swagmatism" apparently originated right out of college station, tx.  however, it now seems,  that this once burgeoning trend, is starting to fade a bit. this of course, shall be due, to the ever growing and yet alleged crimes being perpetrated upon this town, as per an increasing allotment of gridiron members courtesy of atm.  darrell, do you believe that, in lieu of all of the negative national press, negative tweets and statements, as well as slowing recruitment efforts, that kevin sumlin, shall now try to reign in his "swag" style, and start actually trying to become a football coach again, the way he was in houston, tx?     

Q  am i the only one, that finds it quite disturbing, that no matter what message steve patterson espouses, regarding not wanting to enter upon the field of play once again as per atm... charlie strong, completely contradicts this particular message, with his own not so subtle nuances, "that he would enjoy revisiting the intrastate rivalry, that is (texas vs atm) ... darrell, do you foresee a future "clash of the titans" as per this often controversial, and yet high profile issue between these two gentlemen?

Q  darrell, just whom shall myles turner pick?

Wait ... wait just a minute, here.  I thought Myles Turner was my question!  But, but, but ... I thought that that was a forgone conclusion ... for Darrell has done told me so ... in weeks past!  ;)

Also, I know it has been said that it is not very high on the priority list time wise, but is there any scuttlebutt on where the new basketball venue will be located? 

Not that it is the best solution, but my guess is that it will be a multi-function facility created as a joint effort with the University, the City of Austin and maybe a little side action with the State of Texas, located at the Austin-American Statesman location south of Town Lake.  I suspect that it will have a Twenty-five thousand plus person capacity or more so Austin can get a future national political convention, tied in with the Convention Center facilities on the north side of the Lake and hotels new and existing on both sides of the Lake.  The facility will be connected to the campus area by the new light rail line that is proposed, running alongside the Waller Creek development corridor.  This is a complicated deal, and because of that and the fact that that the need for the Erwin Center site will not be immediate because of the long time line for the Medical School Complex, there will be a long term time line for this project.  People who want a smaller basketball only facility will not get that because of the perceived need for greater convention facilities, and the greater good of a more glorious long term urban design Grand Plan for downtown Austin that you and I may not care about, but is very important to some folks that just so happen to have more say in such matters than you and I do.  Also, if it is designed correctly, there is nothing that says that a larger facility could not be designed to be re-configured for basketball with a lesser, more intimate capacity and a greater capacity arrangement for Final Fours and such.  Since, this is a slow time of the year, I am throwing this out there for discussion at your convenience and at your leisure. ;)

Postscript - This has to be worth at least four to six topics ... since we are in the slow season and all ...  ;)

Can you name another "arena" that contracts from 25,000+ to less than 15,000 for a basketball game? Because I sure can't. That would be a waste of money.

The Final Four will never be held in another arena ever again, unless said arena can seat 70,000+ people. 

Can you name another "arena" that contracts from 25,000+ to less than 15,000 for a basketball game? Because I sure can't. That would be a waste of money.

The Final Four will never be held in another arena ever again, unless said arena can seat 70,000+ people. 

Maybe not.  Maybe we are talking about conference championships and regional NCAA tournaments.  This is just talk and discussion.  There are several ways that a new facility could go.  My previous post is just a thought generator.  I find it hard to believe that the University, and the City of Austin would not want to take advantage of what such a facility could be, downtown, associated with the Convention Center. in the grand scheme of a Grand Urban Design for Downtown Austin, thirty years from now.  I am not saying that this is my preference, but there is a lot of money to be made for those folks who have influence over such decisions.  I am just trying to generate some discussion.  I know that there are people who have schemes such as this, of several different varieties in mind.  I think it is better for those of us who care, to give some of these possibilities a little bit of consideration, whether we like them or not - whether they fit our particular conceptual image of what we think should happen or not.  If we do not think about these concepts, I can guarantee you that the decisions will be made without any input from you or me or anybody else that cares about this other than the folks that actually make the decisions.  If you wait for those folks to ask you what you think, the decisions will already have been made.  As I see it, there is time to formulate some alternatives, but that will not happen if there is no discussion.