Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some thoughts on today's scrimmage

Matt Cotcher

• Administrators

Here's some 'instanalysis' from the Spring Game....

1. Jerseys with black numerals or black shoulder pads are fine....in practice.
  2. During warm-ups, even the DB's were using their hands to catch the football. It's the little things. Coaching matters.
  3. Swoopes vs Onyegbule during warm-ups: when throwing side-by-side (out routes), there's no comparison. Swoopes throws a zippier ball.
  4. The whole coaching staff was definitely keyed in on this being the last outing of spring practice (not some exhibition). Tons of instruction going on out there.
  5. Before kickoff it was Quandre Diggs, Mykkelle Thompson & Josh Turner that were keeping the D loose & energized. Those 3 were up & down the sideline.
  6. Interesting to see the team split as Offense vs Defense instead of 1's vs 2's (or some manufactured 'team').
  7. No running out the tunnel. No kickoff. No show. No b-s.
  8. When the 2nd team got the first shot of the scrimmage, I wondered if that was a subtle message from coaches to the players.
  9. On John Harris' dropped pass (that would have been a 1st down), he was also lined up wrong & had to be moved by Onyegbule. He was the first read on the play, so that's a significant mistake in my book.
  10. Great body control from Montrel Meander on his sideline grab in 1Q. He got up shaky, but went right back in the game after a few plays.
  11. Will Russ was the holder on extra points. I didn't see that coming.
  12. Lots of 5-2-4 on defense. The coaches must like their lineman more than their backs.
  13. Naashon Hughes had a nice play. He won't get a tackle, but he pushed his man back so fast that it tripped Malcolm Brown.
  14. Hasaan Ridgeway & Malcom Brown seemed to be living in the offensive backfield.
  15. I expected the offense to be slow, but the procedure calls (delays, false starts & substitution) were surprising.
  16. Nick Rose had enough distance and then some, on his 55-yard attempt. It looked good from my vantage.
  17. In the first half Swoopes did a nice job of seeing the blitz pre-snap and checking down to complete a quick pass. On the very next play, he missed the blitz and threw into double coverage after he was sacked. Such is life for the foreseeable future.
  18. Malcolm Brown is so patient and so comfortable running between the tackles. That's rare in today's version of football.
  19. Jaxon Shipley was the first one back to return punts. Noteworthy since the fair catch game was on.
  20. I'm no QB Coach, but when Swoopes missed high, his footwork seems to consistently have his weight falling backward.
  21. Mykkelle Thompson went from doghouse to penthouse in one play. An unnecessary personal foul after a dead play was followed by a perfect read of Onyegbule for a pick-6.
  22. Desmond Jackson & Malcom Brown were way too much to handle when lined up together.
  23. I'll reserve judgment on this punt formation until I've seen more of it.
  24. Daje Johnson was the 2nd player to field punts. Jacorey Warrick was third.
  25. Even when there seemed to be some daylight for Brown to run inside, it quickly was erased. The defense played very fast today.
  26. The offense was very 'patient'. For the fans that cried about not committing to the run game, this season should be refreshing.
  27. Dalton Santos seemed like he was everywhere.
  28. After another INT, Charlie Strong is unhappy enough to come all the way across the field to "discuss" it with several players and multiple coaches.
  29. As soon as Swoopes involved Shipley, the offense really found some rhythm.
  30. The Hail Mary at the half is zero sum.
  31. After Malcolm Brown caught his TD, he went to the sideline and did push-ups for losing the ball earlier in the series.
  32. Jacorey Warrick had his name called a lot today. File that away.
  33. The lady next to me jumped every time they fired Smokey. Every. Time.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Administrators

I didn't get to see the game. I'm curious if you noticed any difference in the "physicality" of the players and your thoughts on the o line in particular.

Re: Physicality - The biggest difference to me was the fact that when players got hit, they went down. This definitely wasn't 'thump'.

Re: OL - Coleman Feeley is doing an article specifically on their play today. I'll defer to him.

In the middle of watching the fourth quarter right now.

Swoopes has looked good since the first drive. I have also been impressed with Overstreet. I think he's making the most of his opportunities.

I enjoyed watching the defensive line make plays.

The play calling has been nice. Doesn't seem like we are sticking with either running or just passing...lots of variety in there.

You shouldn't get too high or low about a Spring game for several reasons. 
A) Injuries. Texas was missing 11 players, most of which will be key contributors next year. I can't even really make a true assessment because so many players were out. 
B )Teams run base looks in Spring games. Again, really can't make an assessment of the schemes run yesterday because we really didn't see anything. Strong even said after the game that Texas wants to be multiple on defense, but they didn't want to give anything away in the Spring game. Saban said the same thing after the Spring game. 

With that said, based on what I saw these would be my comments. 

1-Swoopes struggled early. He settled in though, and actually looked pretty good in the last 5 possessions. 

2-Our defensive line is going to be a handful next year. 

3-Malcolm Brown and Jalen Overstreet are physical backs. Texas will be a running team next year, I have no doubts about that. 

4-Cobbs and Santos looked good at the LB position. 

5-The most underrated player on our team and still best receiver is Shipley. 

I just watched the game on LHN and it was overall pretty much what I expected. Unlike reports from other sites, my expectations were tempered and I wasn't expecting to come out and say "Wow...we are going to win the big 12 next  year."  Considering that the # 3 and # 4 QB's were in the game (if Wittek comes in), I thought it went well. I was most impressed with the maturation of Swoopes throughout the game. He was obviously rattled by the atmosphere early, overthrowing a wide open Shipley twice for what would have been an easy score both times. He settled down and made some good throws, including a seemingly effortless 50 yard Hail Mary TD that Daje come down with to end the half. 

My top 5 thoughts going into fall ball:

1. We are going to be a physical team this year. Period.

2. QB play (whoever it is) along with our O-line will be the key for securing wins.

3. The defense is going to make some noise. Caleb Bluiett probably made the most movement on the depth chart.

4. My breakout player for 2014 is Marcus Johnson, the kids has jets and just needs the touches.

5. Speed, Speed, Speed. This team has lots of it. The new staff just has to put the pegs in the right holes.

I'm very excited  about the upcoming year and can't wait to see our team mature and become a better fundamental football team. This will be a rebuilding process and we have a lot of work before we can honestly talk about winning conference titles or being in the NC discussion. But we are on our way....

Hook 'em!

I disagree.  Physical talent at QB is seldom the deciding factor in competing for championships.  Depth on both lines is much more important IMO.

I would say it's both . .Not many teams win without above average to great QB play but they usually come with 1st rate lines. . .

Heisman winner in 2013

AJ McCarron is no slouch

AJ McCarron is no slouch and dates incredibly hot women

Cam Newton pretty damn good QB Heisman winner

If Colt stays upright, TEXAS wins the title with a pretty weak OL though a great DL

Tim Tebow?  Damn fine College QB Heisman winner

LSU wins with defense

Chris Leak was a pretty good college QB

VINCE

Leinhart was Heisman winner

The #1 thing you are ignoring that EVERY one of those teams had in common, 1st rate/top 10 level defenses. . . 

In the past decade, you see well above average to great QB play on most title teams. . . 

I just watched the game on LHN and it was overall pretty much what I expected. Unlike reports from other sites, my expectations were tempered and I wasn't expecting to come out and say "Wow...we are going to win the big 12 next  year."  Considering that the # 3 and # 4 QB's were in the game (if Wittek comes in), I thought it went well. I was most impressed with the maturation of Swoopes throughout the game. He was obviously rattled by the atmosphere early, overthrowing a wide open Shipley twice for what would have been an easy score both times. He settled down and made some good throws, including a seemingly effortless 50 yard Hail Mary TD that Daje come down with to end the half. 

My top 5 thoughts going into fall ball:

1. We are going to be a physical team this year. Period.

2. QB play (whoever it is) along with our O-line will be the key for securing wins.

3. The defense is going to make some noise. Caleb Bluiett probably made the most movement on the depth chart.

4. My breakout player for 2014 is Marcus Johnson, the kids has jets and just needs the touches.

5. Speed, Speed, Speed. This team has lots of it. The new staff just has to put the pegs in the right holes.

I'm very excited  about the upcoming year and can't wait to see our team mature and become a better fundamental football team. This will be a rebuilding process and we have a lot of work before we can honestly talk about winning conference titles or being in the NC discussion. But we are on our way....

Hook 'em!

+1

I wouldn't be too excited about this crew until they get some starters back. Swoopes settling in is nonsense! You must have heard Strong say that or something. He never settled in because the D-line was through and in his face on almost every passing play...they just pulled up because they weren't allowed to hit him. He made at least half of his completions AFTER he would have been sacked. He was never allowed to keep the ball on the read-option, so we don't know anything about that aspect of his performance; his long throws were a wish and a prayer; they should have never left his hand! Some of this is Swoopes' immaturity and some of it is terrible O-Line play (they never said a word to each other) and some of it is not allowing people to see everything you got and some of it is because the D-Line and LB play was solid (even second string).

The walk on safety was great...maybe not a speedster, but a great nose for the ball and never out of position. Ridgeway as a 2 is kinda funny, because he was in Swoopes' stuff ALLLL day! He ate up the starting LT, LG & C all day! I would be pleased with the D and (this is important) the 2s were the players of the game.

I don't think I would expect much out of any UT skill players until the O-Line is fixed. I hope it was the injured guys not being there that caused this. Normally, the D should win the Spring Game, but you always hope the O can make a good showing.

UT has a tough nosed, chip on their shoulder, bowl winning, ass kicking coached "body bag" team coming in here for the first game of the season. Uh Oh!

He made at least half of his completions AFTER he would have been sacked. He was never allowed to keep the ball on the read-option, so we don't know anything about that aspect of his performance

Totally agree. I think a lot of the 'settling down' was due to the defesive line not being able to hit Swoopes. Early in the game there was some contact on Swoopes and afterwards there were some choice words for the defender who laid the hit.

I was surpised to see that Swoopes didn't keep any of the read plays they ran as well...  but when your second string Quarterback, Miles Onyegbule, is acutally a Wide Reciever/ TIGHT END it makes more sense.

It's still unlcear if Swoopes is the answer for the Quarterback question but its 100% CLEAR that Onyegbule is not.