Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting read.

This was funny:

"Hey, how'd he get that ride? His uncle bought it. How did his uncle buy it? Paid cash. Paid cash, how'd he do that? Shit, we don't know, but here's the receipt where he paid cash, and now y'all ain't got shit. Go tell the NCAA you think we're cheating because this kid's uncle bought him a used Tahoe in cash, you racist."

secsecsec

;)

And the NCAA can't do a thing about it. Just goes to show you how broken the system is. Great read.

It's not that they cant, they just don't want to. There are too many people with a financial interest in the status quo for any attempt at reform to gain momentum. Corruption is rampant in college sports, especially football, and the only way change will ever happen is through the various court cases.

Anyone who thinks something like this doesn't happen at every major university, including our beloved UT, is sadly delusional.

To say what happens in the SEC happens at every other school in the nation is pure bullish!t. So far this year SEC football players have racked up more arrests than all other programs combined. The SEC has had a stranglehold on the Fullmer Cup since it was originated. Integrity isnt even a consideration with SEC programs and hasn't been since I can remember.

When aggy went to the the SEC the overwhelming concern was that SEC recruiting tactics would be unleashed in Texas. UT and OU have been communication on recruiting games since aggy made their move. The scope and scale of SEC corruption is far and away above anything that occurs at almost every other program.

Brushing off what goes on in the SEC as "business as usual in college football" is sheer, absolute bullish!t.

To say what happens in the SEC happens at every other school in the nation is pure bullish!t. So far this year SEC football players have racked up more arrests than all other programs combined. The SEC has had a stranglehold on the Fullmer Cup since it was originated. Integrity isnt even a consideration with SEC programs and hasn't been since I can remember.

When aggy went to the the SEC the overwhelming concern was that SEC recruiting tactics would be unleashed in Texas. UT and OU have been communication on recruiting games since aggy made their move. The scope and scale of SEC corruption is far and away above anything that occurs at almost every other program.

Brushing off what goes on in the SEC as "business as usual in college football" is sheer, absolute bullish!t.

I think you are right. I know a couple of aggy who brag about playing the SEC recruiting game. All they care about is not getting caught.

It's not that they cant, they just don't want to. There are too many people with a financial interest in the status quo for any attempt at reform to gain momentum. Corruption is rampant in college sports, especially football, and the only way change will ever happen is through the various court cases.

Oh trust me, I know. I went to North Carolina State University during the time our most hated rival (UNC) were in the thick of their countless NCAA infractions. After this most recent wistleblower raised some red flags about the fake classes and all, which I'm sure you all heard about, it really showed me how big of a joke the NCAA really is.  Based on the article I referenced at the bottom that talks about Congress questioning the NCAA brass about them ignoring academic fraud: "the NCAA declined to sanction the university, saying the scandal was academic in nature, not athletic". Well, based on what I could find, the NCAA mission statement is: "Our mission is to be an integral part of higher education and to focus on the development of our student-athletes". What a crock of shit right?

Here's the link if you're interested - http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/us/unc-academic-fraud-investigation/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

Anyone who thinks something like this doesn't happen at every major university, including our beloved UT, is sadly delusional.

Yea, I call BS on this, too. The article didn't mention, there's one thing required at sec schools that doesn't and won't happen at Texas. The coaches, staff and admin all have to look the other way. They KNOW but they don't want to HEAR.

If and when our coaches condone this (by pretending not to know), I'll have to rethink my fandom.

Hook 'em.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that UT and others are "cheating just like SEC teams".  If so, how brazenly incompetent or stupid do you have to be to get caught?  The reality is the NCAA doesn't want to catch anybody!  Why kill the golden goose?

But, leave it to aggy to set a new standard for futility and idiocy.  Proud members of the cheating "Hall of Shame".   :lol: 

post-2808-0-10755100-1397189034_thumb.jpg

Oh trust me, I know. I went to North Carolina State University during the time our most hated rival (UNC) were in the thick of their countless NCAA infractions. After this most recent wistleblower raised some red flags about the fake classes and all, which I'm sure you all heard about, it really showed me how big of a joke the NCAA really is.  Based on the article I referenced at the bottom that talks about Congress questioning the NCAA brass about them ignoring academic fraud: "the NCAA declined to sanction the university, saying the scandal was academic in nature, not athletic". Well, based on what I could find, the NCAA mission statement is: "Our mission is to be an integral part of higher education and to focus on the development of our student-athletes". What a crock of shit right?

Here's the link if you're interested - http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/us/unc-academic-fraud-investigation/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

We are all aware of what went on at UNC, just as we are all well aware the professor who pulled that stunt is facing criminal charges. We are also all aware of the article written by the FSU prof that details the problems with that institution and the problems with the past academic cheating scandals at the U.S. Naval Academy. 

What I don't know about the UNC issue was whether the professor was increasing demand for his class to create a more favorable employment picture for himself and saw athletes are easy targets to pad enrollment figures in his classes or if he set out to create an atmosphere where athletes could circumvent academic requirements to maintain athletic eligibility. The distinction between the two motives is hugely important. Quite frankly, I don't care what the case is. the matter is in the hands of criminal prosecutors. If any school wants to elevate NCAA rules violations into criminal matters, they will eventually get ratted out by other schools. Schools rightfully take exception to having to maintain reasonably NCAA compliant programs while competitors are conducting ongoing criminal activities. I certainly don't want the NCAA conducting investigations of ongoing criminal activities.  

1) you know this to be true about UT, how?

2) it's 'cue'

Every NCAA program is making its football players live on campus, show up for class on time and sit in the first two rows and every NCAA football program sits starting running backs out of spring practice for "periods of reflection."

While also, every program ignores player arrests, failed drug tests and other character issues to maintain player eligibility. 

How do I know this to be true? 

Because if it happens at one school, it happens at every school. Trust me. I know how things are done. I'm an insider. 

/end sarcasm

Every NCAA program is making its football players live on campus, show up for class on time and sit in the first two rows and every NCAA football program sits starting running backs out of spring practice for "periods of reflection."

While also, every program ignores player arrests, failed drug tests and other character issues to maintain player eligibility. 

How do I know this to be true? 

Because if it happens at one school, it happens at every school. Trust me. I know how things are done. I'm an insider. 

/end sarcasm

i support this post.

I'm sure if the ncaa sent an investigative team to Austin, they'd almost certainly find some sort of rules violation and that WOULD be the case at virtually every school. Not unlike if the IRS audited  a well meaning, basically honest taxpayer's return, they'd likely find some obscure violation.

Perhaps i am 'sadly delusional' but i'd be surprised and dissapointed if the bag-man story illustrated above occurs at UT.

One of the reasons they're able to get away with this is because fans in the SE truly believe that "everybody's doing it."

And like everything else, they think they're better at it than anybody. It's become another bragging point for them.

It's entrenched deep into their culture.

But, that doesn't mean it the same all over.

If you say something often enough, it doesn't make it true.

The best way for a coach at Texas to get fired is to tolerate or participate in violations like those that were described.

I have pretty closely watched the program for a very long time and there have not been any bad violations.

We do need to give the kids more money. The scholarships provided to not come near to covering the costs of being a student athlete at Texas.

But it has to be done legally and in the open.

Here is David Ubben's take on why the SEC tactics aren't used in the Big 12.

It's about to get quiet in Big 12 country with basketball season over and spring football winding down.

Let's reach into the Mailbag and answer a few questions before the reality of summer sets in.

Follow me on Twitter for a chance to make our next edition of the mailbag.

Taylor Kohn asks: Do you think that "bag men" are as prevalent in the Big 12 as SEC? Do Texas teams now have to "keep up" since they're in SEC country?

David Ubben: It's a valid question. I can assure you it goes on in some capacity at nearly every major university that strives to be nationally competitive in football.

Awhile back, I had a lengthy conversation with a Big 12 coach about the issue, and he pointed out one major difference between the SEC and the Big 12.

In the Big 12--moreso back when we had that conversation--Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M were largely the only schools competing for nearly every top prospect in the DFW metroplex and surrounding areas.

Texas Tech recruits more heavily in West Texas. The Red Raiders, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Missouri at the time and TCU most often recruit a different level of player in the metroplex. Every now and then, all of those schools will bring in a top guy or two, but most of the time, there's not a ton of direct competition for the same guys.

The SEC is a very different atmosphere in that regard. Look at the SEC map. You basically have about 10 schools in a big circle. The majority of those 10--Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and perhaps South Carolina excluded--believe they should be competing for national titles on a regular basis. If a coach isn't chasing after as many five stars as possible, he's going to infuriate his fan base. They believe they could (perhaps should) sign those guys. Why wouldn't the ambitious head coach think the same?

That leads to a level of competition--some might say desperation--that's not as prevalent in the Big 12. Texas Tech and the other programs I listed are OK with winning 9-10 games a year. That's a good year for most Big 12 programs. It's a great year for some. History has conditioned more fan bases to accept that than to reject it. Texas and Oklahoma are really the only exceptions when you talk about programs who would be displeased with a nine-win season. Plenty of people in and around smaller programs strive for more, but they don't EXPECT it.

Meanwhile, try telling Georgia and Tennessee fans some time they shouldn't expect to win national titles. Tell me how that goes.

There's your difference in the climate of the Big 12 and the SEC and why, though I bet bag men do show up in this state, they're not quite as ingrained in the culture across Texas as they are in SEC country.

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/ubben-s-big-12-mailbag-why-the-big-12-isn-t-the-sec-041014

I agree with David Ubben's take, but have no doubt that jock-sniffing bag men exist in the Big 12 (and UT), too.  

Colt's wife, Rachel, admitted as much during a radio interview.  To Colt's credit, he didn't accept any under-the-table gratuities...but he's exceptional.  Do I believe it's as pervasive and corrupt as it is in the $EC?  Hell, no.  I doubt the bench-warmers are on the bag men's payroll.  

Funny story about SMU's Ron Meyer back in the "Pony Excess" days.

A prominent TX high school coach with many D1 recruits had a habit of collecting CFB coaches' business cards and pinning them to his board.  On Meyer's way out, the coach asked him for a business card.  Meyer peeled a Benjamin off his money clip and pinned it to his board. "There's my business card!"

I hope Deloss writes a book setting the record straight on the things that happened while he was AD at Texas. The assumption by too many people that each college program is as corrupt as the next needs to be addressed by someone who was on the inside and no longer has anything to lose by telling the back stories on what we know about the history of the SWC and the Big 12.