Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SITE ANNOUNCEMENT

• Administrators

We're really excited to announce upgrades to the site that are described in THIS article. The upgrades are our way of recognizing the great support we've received from members - the more y'all read & comment, the more we'll keep growing!

For starters, you will notice an improved look and feel to the site. Efforts were centered on improving the site's functionality and streamlining delivery of the content. Not only do things look better (visually), they will also work better (functionally). 

For you techies, we are converting from our current platform to a self-contained content management system. The content system and message boards will operate on InVisionPower software. This change will result in improved response time, more capacity and greater reliability.

Even more than those changes, we're thrilled to announce that Sean Adams and Matt Cotcher are joining the team. You may have noticed their presence on the board lately. That presence becomes formalized today!

In addition to contributing on ESPN, ESPN.com, Longhorn Network, and local and national radio, Sean brings a wealth of experience to the site. He's covered Texas football for more than 10 years and has extensive contacts in the program. Sean will focus on providing football content, write op/ed pieces and help strengthen Hornsports' podcast library.

Longtime members of Orangebloods.com will remember Matt Cotcher's work there. Before being sidelined by a major medical issue, Matt helped grow and develop that site, including creating their baseball coverage. Matt will serve much like a Managing Editor here by editing articles and writing original content. He'll also lead the site's expansion with two new features: 

1. A 24-hour Horn Headline news Ticker: Gone are the days of needing to visit three or four sites to get all the breaking news about Texas athletics. Hornsports will now provide a continuous headline ticker that scrolls headline news collected from various sites around the web.

In other words, Hornsports will compile the headline news that other sites rush to break, and then report it on our site (with proper attribution). For example: "Daylon Mack has switched his commitment from A&M to Texas (per Jeff Howe of 247Sports)." The ticker will update in real-time via RSS feeds, as well as manual updates from the Hornsports staff.

2. An Aggregate Recruiting Ranking

Hornsports will compile and average 5-6 rankings from other recruiting services. In doing so, Hornsports will provide a ranking that is more accurate and not based on personal/journalistic opinions. In addition to the Aggregate Ranking, Hornsports will also release a proprietary database of recruit profiles and information.

All of these changes are happening in conjunction with our addition of a premium level of membership. Over the last year, many of you have asked how you can help our efforts financially and we're very grateful for your generous offer of aid. As we're sure you realize, operating this site (the technical aspect and the staff) has been a labor of love since our inception.

Starting later this week, members will have the ability to upgrade their privileges to a premium content level for an introductory rate of only $4.99 per month. Please note, this upgrade is not mandatory. Your access and posting privileges to the Burnt Orange Board will not change if you choose not to subscribe at the premium level.

The new premium level subscription model will follow the one used at 247 sports. In other words, members that pay the introductory rate for a premium subscription ($4.99/month) will be able to access all areas and content from the site, including the message board posts of other subscribers that pay for premium membership. Members that choose not to upgrade their subscription will still be able to post on the message board and read all posts made by non-premium members.

Most of the original content written by the Hornsports staff (including Crossfire and weekly podcasts) will only be visible to premium members. Additionally, all of Sean and Matt's contributions (including the Ticker and Aggregate Recruit Ranking) will only be available to premium members ($4.99/month). Take advantage of the low introductory rate while it's available.

We think this next step in Hornsports' development is a tremendous value. We've created great new content and staff additions for the folks that want to contribute to the site's growth. The introductory rate is only $4.99/month, so the fee is less than any competitor is charging and, with the new releases, we believe members get more for the investment here than any other site. And again, if you choose not to upgrade your membership, Hornsports is not removing your access to the site.

All of these changes represent significant technical differences from the current operating system. Please bear with us as we work to improve your enjoyment of the site. If you find an error or experience any issue with the new capability, please email us at info@hornsports.com. This address was created specifically for customer issues. By emailing us (instead of posting a thread on the board), we will be able to track issues and respond quicker.

- The HornSports.com Staff

*** WARNING - READ THE FINE PRINT: ***

Hornsports covers The University of Texas athletics. That means that we will continue our policy not to allow thoughtless attacks on players, coaches, or other posters. There is definitely a place for open discussion and warranted criticism, but use good judgment when doing so. Paying any amount of money for a premium membership does not, nor will it ever, give anyone the right to smear Hornsports with inappropriate commentary. Hornsports reserves the right to edit comments and ban users for transgressions. Hornsports will do so at our own discretion.

horn_sports_ll.png

- Sean and Matt are big time additions to the staff. I really enjoy what both bring to this site. I have been following both on Facebook. Matt will provide some insightful reporting and will use angles you don't see everywhere else. Sean is personality + inside angles and commentary that at times will make you throw things, or make you laugh out loud. I love it!

- I like the new look. Lots of contrast, bold headlines and thread titles. Nice amount of white space so it's not overwhelming - which is deceiving because you open the page and there's just a ton of stuff to shop through. We may have the best looking forum out there.

- The functions are nice. I am thinking they said they weren't through so I think some stuff gets restored at some point. Aaron is a talented web guy who puts himself in the consumer's shoes. We may have the nicest features of any board out there.

- Where the heck did my ugly mug go?

- Sean and Matt are big time additions to the staff. I really enjoy what both bring to this site. I have been following both on Facebook. Matt will provide some insightful reporting and will use angles you don't see everywhere else. Sean is personality + inside angles and commentary that at times will make you throw things, or make you laugh out loud. I love it!

- I like the new look. Lots of contrast, bold headlines and thread titles. Nice amount of white space so it's not overwhelming - which is deceiving because you open the page and there's just a ton of stuff to shop through. We may have the best looking forum out there.

- The functions are nice. I am thinking they said they weren't through so I think some stuff gets restored at some point. Aaron is a talented web guy who puts himself in the consumer's shoes. We may have the nicest features of any board out there.

- Where the heck did my ugly mug go?

Good things yet to come!

I like what I'm seeing and hearing. I do have one request. There needs to be a contact phone number for your site esspecially for premium members. I have had multiple problems with my password and login capability. Obviously when I get locked out of the site I have no way to get back on. So private messages don't work.

I'm really excited to be contributing to Hornsports.com. I love the message board format that is here and the freedom and ability to communicate with all of you. Feel free to throw questions and suggestions our way. Yes I do a lot of different stuff and tease that I have 18 jobs but I plan on spending a good amount of time talking Texas right here.